What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions? I'm thinking of getting a Nepenthes for my windowsill, and I would like another carnivorous plant to be grown in the same pot.

Any ideas?

Nepenthes don't really prefer shady conditions, some will tolerate it for a while but to get nice pitchers you need to have high humidity and good bright light. Intense afternoon light (western) will often fry them but direct or dappled morning light (eastern) through midday is good for Neps as it's not so scorching but you gotta keep that humidity over 50% RH (80% is best) for constant quality pitcher production. Otherwise you just get dried, unformed lumps on the ends of tendrils. Misting 2 or 3 times a day isn't any more benefitial than breathing on them 2 or 3 times a day to supply excess CO2. Misting is a temporary solution to an all day problem unless they are contained in a growing chamber where evaporation is restricted, then misting is worthwile. I don't really know of any carnivores which prefer or perform well under shady conditions, most of my windows are shady and I do best under artificial lights. Carnivores are still plants first and foremost and need light for their main biological processes.

Okay, I'm ordering a Pinguicula Caerula to put in the same pot as my Nepenthes.

none that i can think off.......in the shade outside....plenty......but shady indoors....none......some Utrics will grow OK in shady conditions indoors but they will likely not flower...

one thing to keep in mind is "shade outdoors" and "shade indoors" are two very different levels of light.....lots of normally shade loving outdoor plants are best grown in very bright light indoors.......while it might look bright to you even a single pane of glass cuts out alot of the spectrums of light that plants use......

none that i can think off.......in the shade outside....plenty......but shady indoors....none......some Utrics will grow OK in shady conditions indoors but they will likely not flower...

one thing to keep in mind is "shade outdoors" and "shade indoors" are two very different levels of light.....lots of normally shade loving outdoor plants are best grown in very bright light indoors.......while it might look bright to you even a single pane of glass cuts out alot of the spectrums of light that plants use......

Well, by shady, I mean bright light followed by 2-3 hours of direct sunlight.

When I'm talking full sunlight, that's like 5-7 hours of sunlight.

Most CPs need full sunlight, so I was talking about plants that do better without full sunlight.

do better without full sun through a window? likely none.......most would be happiest with as much as you can give......2-3 hours of direct sun through glass is not as much as you think....

Which carnivorous plants grow in shady conditions? I'm thinking of getting a Nepenthes for my windowsill, and I would like another carnivorous plant to be grown in the same pot.

Any ideas?

Aside from quite a few Nepenthes, Cephalotus and Darlingtonia grow well in partially-shaded conditions.

In a west facing windowsill that gets 3 hours direct light I have:

Ns. hamata, ventricosa, raff, amp, Red Leopard and spectabilis x veitchii
Ps. ehlersaie, gypsicola and agnata "CSUF"
3 forms of Ceph,
U. nephrophylla.

I also used to have a capensis but it got moved recently.

D.prolifera and D.schizandra too, they kinda HATE light

Back