What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever used a Mind Wave Stimulator?

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Your money would be better spend on....anything else. Mind machines? Let's get serious here. I've looked at the product on ebay, and apparently all it does is play random noise over whatever music you want. $175 much better spend elsewhere. "Zen master"? Lol!!!!!! The only sites that routinely come up for this nonsense are, well...nonsense....because allt hese sites just so happen to sell mind machines as well. It's like when people tell me "Chinese medicine" works. No...it doesn't. Period. That's why it's called "Chinese medicine" and not real medicine. Sure....eating a tiger ******* is going to increase penile cGMP levels by binding to guanylate cyclase in just the same fashion.........

Here's an awesome quote I found about "mind machines":
Intermittent use is not effective until you have learned how to respond to the stimulation.
HAHAHA. Can no one else see the gimmick in that? Besides the fact that it isn't proven, of course....
The only sites that have anything on the topic are awakening-mind-by-enlightened-enterprises.com, crystal-inn.com, mindmodulations.com, etc.
Hmm...I wonder why nothing from the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, Popular Science, etc is showing up....

You want to be healthy? Look at your diet. Don't waste your money.
Diet is the number 1 cause of almost all non-genetic problems.

Phission, such a downer man! LMAO! I happen to agree with you about the machine it is a waste, but I would not down chinese medicine so fast. When done as a whole and used with a proper diet that the chinese ate, true chinese, that is. Not the Americanized stuff we eat. Then it may just work to keep you healthy. I agree with you 100% that the diet is the number 1 cause of almost all non-genetic problems. That is why the chinese medicine does not work if your just trying to use bits ane peices of it. Following the book I have been reading, there are reasons certain foods are eaten with another food and so forth, but because we do not have a true cuasine and are constantly changing our diets is one of the main reasons we as a country are geting sicker.

Some Chinese or Traditional or whatever you want to call them medicines do work, which is why Big Pharma spends a lot of effort trying to isolate and patent what's in them. You're absolutely right about diet, although I'd add smoking to make a list of two things that are behind an unbelievably large proportion of American health problems.

These glasses are a gimmick. If they're based on any science at all, it's probably some sort of hypnotic state/subliminal suggestion kind of thing, which, whether you buy into that stuff or not, is not equivalent to, or even on the same tangent as, meditation. Noise generators help you concentrate like a crutch helps you walk - you learn to depend on the tool. If you really want to enhance your powers of relaxation and concentration, learn to meditate in a child care center or a social services office. If you really need a white noise generator to keep from getting distracted, you can find a dozen computer programs that'll do the same thing for less than $10. Come to think of it, you could just get yourself one of those "ocean sounds" CDs and a strobe light and trip out on your media player's visualizer.
PK, I've really got to call you on the Chinese medicine comment. The Chinese have about 5000 more years of medical history than Western techniques and were doing surgery on fully anesthetized patients when our ancestors were still pillaging their neighbors. Most Chinese medicine is preventative, focused on proper diet and daily habits, but that's not what you hear about in the States because we're too busy boggling over how anyone could survive on a diet that isn't based on Lucky Charms and cheeseburgers. You're totally right in the individual case; there are plenty of sensational examples of ridiculous, obscure herbal remedies. But, that's not the case in general and I think it's rather hypocritical that you can assert a "scientific" point of view and still offer such an uninformed appraisal.
~Joe

Thanks for the opinions but no one's actually tried one personally somewhere?

No I'm not into Chinese meds or any of that "magical" stuff used to help wipe out tigers and rhinos. I don't believe twigs and berries alone will cure diseases such as DIabetes and Heart Disease. I'm not worried about my health even if I "should be". I can't be too bad off, I haven't been to a doctor since I was 12 and I'll be 33 before long. I don't know why medicine came up on what I consider a techie toy?

Anyway I was just curious about the black box glasses sets cos I've been seeing them on/off in books & magsfor years. I know it has a dumb *** name but I didn't name the thing - I choose it because it was the only model which has it's own CD player. I got word from the seller today that you can't use regular CDs but only the special encoded ones. Since this doesn't work the way I want I'm no longer interested in it at all. If it were a custom light show for any CD I'd probly be all over it.

These glasses will flash different color lights at the lids of your closed eyes. This will cause your eyes to "see things" like swirls and patterns much like you were on an acid trip.

In the early 90's during the Lollapalooza tours they had these masks that you could put on your face, lay down in the sun, and blow through a straw. This would cause the "flashing" or strobing effect that would cause you to see color trails, swirls, and patterns that would move and change speed depending on the frequency of the strobing. This was later duplicated by "relaxation" spas with a pair of glasses that would be timed with music to give you the same experience. If you want a cheaper way to do this, go to Spencer's and buy a $10 strobe light and have someone flash it on your closed eyes. As they change the speed of the strobe the patterns and shapes will change.

See "Snake Oil" and "Placebo Effect".

Thanks feedme for the info. I remember seeing William Burroughs' home made model of this was a large black paper tube full of holes with a lamp inside spining on a phonograph turn table. I've been fascinated ever since I read about the possible effects of it.

I went to the very 1st Lollapalloosa in 1991 or so but it was all about genital piercings at the time, modern primitives seemed to be just coming out.

When I was in college in the late 90's I came out to CA on vacation visiting a friend in the LA area. We were at city walk and they had this relaxation light spa that had tables to lay on and these headphones and light goggles. It was a neat experience for $10, but not sure if is worth $150 unless you plan on supplementing it with other mind altering substances. I imagine it might be very interesting then.

Sharper Image sold an similar device "InnerQuest" back in the early 90s:

<a href="http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1370/is_n2_v28/ai_15419825">FindArticles - Unapproved 'brain wave' devices condemned after seizure reports</a>

You might as well go buy some kinoki foot pads. They claim to draw toxins out of your body through your foot. But if you run the pads under water they turn black. Sweaty feet will do the same thing to the pads! Saw it on a tv special.

If it has any effects it's probably the "placebo effect" working.

When I was in college in the late 90's I came out to CA on vacation visiting a friend in the LA area. We were at city walk and they had this relaxation light spa that had tables to lay on and these headphones and light goggles. It was a neat experience for $10, but not sure if is worth $150 unless you plan on supplementing it with other mind altering substances. I imagine it might be very interesting then.

funny how i go to universal citywalk every week and never been in that store, i've seen it, the people told me to come in, but i never went in.

I haven't been to a doctor since I was 12 and I'll be 33 before long.

Thats great, because if you feel fine there cant be any problem, right? Checkups every decade or so? Pffftt

The Chinese have about 5000 more years of medical history than Western techniques]
True(ish). I call bullocks on 5k years, but regardless, length doesn't equate with quality and being right.

and were doing surgery on fully anesthetized patients when our ancestors were still pillaging their neighbors.
False false false! You honestly couldn't be more wrong! You're seriously staking a claim that the Chinese, who have been writing for thousands of years, were doing REAL surgery, with iron age tools (if that) before anyone even knew what ether (the first anesthetic) was....and NO ONE wrote that down???? I doubt that 100%. Prove it to me, because if you do, you'll be the first person to lend backing to such a claim. Until then, I'm calling shenanigans (because it is)

"On November 18, 1846, the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal published an article by Dr. Henry J. Bigelow (1818-1890), a young surgeon at the Massachusetts General Hospital. During the previous month Bigelow had witnessed four operations in which Boston dentist William Thomas Green Morton administered ether to relieve the pain of surgeries performed by Drs. John Collins Warren and George Hayward. "
and
"
Several people began using anesthesia (a substance that produces loss of sensation with or without loss of consciousness) about the same time, in the 1840s. In 1844, dentist Horace Wells administered nitrous oxide (also known as laughing gas), which allowed him to pull teeth from unconscious patients. Crawford Williamson Long (1815–1878), a physician, used a chemical called ether as an anesthesia several times before giving a public demonstration in 1846 and publishing his findings in 1849."

Look up the history of anesthesia anywhere. It was "invented" (or discovered rather) in AMERICA after the Civil War.
Does some "Chinese medicine" work? Sure it does, but the percentage is so low, that it is considered by all worthwhile people who know medicine to be a "folk" belief. Are people researching it? Sure, because it's natural and therefore cheap. Saying that it's true because "there's research being done on it" is a very weak "proof". It's been around a lot longer than Western i.e. real medicine, so if it all (or mostly all) worked, we wouldn't have big pharma, etc. You can disagree, but you can't prove that modern medicine, and therefore medicine that actually works, isn't at least majority wise, America after the 1840s. We may not have the best health care system, but we have the best doctors and pharma (competing with Germany) on the planet.

The only noteworthy things to ever come out of China are the compass and the basis for algebra, which Greece also did before/during that time (which the Arabs ripped off wholesale from both, but that's a different story). Nothing decent has come out of China in 1400 years. With that in mind, let me tell you..."Chinese medicine" is soooooo ahead of what we've been doing, though it hasn't changed in 2k years, and doesn't work. I don't know anyone's background here, what you know, what you believe, etc....but if you're not a doctor, or AT LEAST in med school actively learning about this stuff for 9 hours minimum a day 5 days a week, for the next 6 years minimum, shut your mouth about medicine, because you don't know jack. Period. Thinking you know doesn't = knowing. I love hearing people talk about how "doctors don't know anything". Yeah, they only went to school (including college) for a minimum of 10 years...you work a McDonald's and maybe graduated highschool....BUT YOU KNOW MORE ABOUT MEDICINE THAN THEY DO!!!!!!!! As Arnold said...."Let's get serious". I know that sounds pretty arrogant, but it's the truth. I hold my tongue on topics I really don't know anything about..or at the very least give a disclaimer.

The whole not being to a doctor in 21 years thing....some people scoot by with that...most just die. How many teeth do you have left? Lol.
But seriously, continue to not see doctors because you don't think you need to, make it past 50 with no major problems, then we'll talk.

I strongly agree with phission. Chinese "medicine" is no different from the old Western system of the 4 humours - just as baseless, yet they claimed success after every time someone got better, whether the treatment actually helped or not.

The fact that lots of herbalism is new age nonsense doesn't mean that all of it is. People realized long ago that different plant parts can have amazing effects, even if they didn't understand the biochemistry. Most of our improved health can be attributed to sanitation, not modern medicine. Dollar for dollar, traditional cures might be better. It doesn't matter to people with the money or insurance to fill a prescription or get surgery, but modern medicine has little to offer those in the world who can't afford it.

Why are you guys talking about chinese meds, surgery, etc. when I asked about an electronic psychedelic toy? It's about as far away from herbs and spices and doctors as you can get, no?

Thanks again Feed Me for answering my question.

Herenorthere, yes seizures can be a problem for some people (epileptics) when they're exposed to flashing lights. Those who are affected can also get them from videgames, concert light shows, strobe lights and Mtv - back in the 1980s when they actually played music videos. Several of these items do have the seizure warnings on them. I think even my DVD player had a warning in the booklet when I was setting it up. I haven't had problems with any of those items so I figure I'm safe with such a toy, although to go into a seizure during a deep meditative state might be akin to a classical "divine rapture" no? ;) lol !!!

Slightly OT:

I don't know anything about the Mindwave Simulator toy/thing, but sounds can have a weird effect on the psyche and body.

Personal Example: I occasionally listen to Fear Factory. Cool tunes. The other day I listened to Fear Factory while half asleep as a passenger on a plane going through a storm at ~18k ft elevation lurching and jerking through the turbulence. That was "TRIPPPYYY!!!' But that's just a mix of atmosphere, mood, mental state, and location.

More Scientific Approach:

Human hearing is typically considered to be 20hz-20khz. Anything below 20hz is often termed 'infrasonic'. Whilst it not (often) audible, it can be felt and can have some interesting effects. Specifically in terms of vision. Scientists have determined that the resonant frequency of the cornea is 18hz, and as such, an 18hz vibration can cause a type of visual hallucinations. (ie. Seeing something just out of the corner of your eye).

Other tests have been done with infrasonic sounds and found that ultra low frequencies can cause feelings of nausea, anxiety, and paranoia in some individuals.

Of course, reproduction of these frequencies in question are not going to occur with a pair of normal headphones or speakers.

Back