What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Girl in Fatal Wreck Sent Text Message Moments Before Crash

Too many people drive while distracted; whether it's by friends, cell phones, children, lunch, music, alcohol or whatever doesn't really matter. If you aren't focused on driving, you're a threat to yourself and anyone unfortunate enough to be with you or nearby. I feel sorry for the people the girls left behind. People, especially teens, are inclined to believe their behavior isn't risky or that it'll be ok this time.

I just find it rather ridiculous that a 16 year old girl was speeding down the highway drunk (and probably with other substances in her system), and her mom is trying to raise awareness about the dangers of texting and driving.
I dunno, it just seems there's so many things wrong with this picture that there's something else the mom could be trying to raise awareness about.

I just find it rather ridiculous that a 16 year old girl was speeding down the highway drunk (and probably with other substances in her system), and her mom is trying to raise awareness about the dangers of texting and driving.
I dunno, it just seems there's so many things wrong with this picture that there's something else the mom could be trying to raise awareness about.

um yea no she would never have taken any other drugs.....our group doesn't do drugs....we may drink but we dont do drugs.......

jeez I wish the news report that this person quoted made things way more clear for people....rather then just giving a vague description.......

People are well aware of the danger of driving drunk, including most of those driving drunk at this very moment. So the mother's efforts are probably better spent on highlighting the cell phone/texting risk. If she thinks so and wants to make the effort, good for her. Too many of us, myself included, don't act on our beliefs as often as we should.

jeez I wish the news report that this person quoted made things way more clear for people....rather then just giving a vague description.......

That's just what the media does.

it's really annoying though when you actually know the person who they are talking about......

lolz....uggg.....

The media don't care about getting the story 100% right. They want to make it a good story.

I think it is a shame she had to die, but texting while driving is dangerous!! Even reading one. I received a very disheartening text and was responding to it at a red light and saw the green turn arrow and stepped on the gas. Needless to say I was not in the turn lane and rear ended a van full of mentally challenged kids on it. Was kind of embarrassing.

I do not see a problem driving with a blue tooth ear piece. I do it all the time. My conversations are not that involved to require my full attention, so I pay attention to the road over the conversation. Especially in traffic situations. I will say hold on or something. The road comes first. But that is me.

I once saw a guy driving down the interstate from New York here in Augusta who was reading a news paper while driving.

I have even been involved in an accident while looking for a parking lot at school. So was a necessary distraction. But I still should have been paying more attention on the car in front of me instead of the lot spaces.

It is a shame the girl had to die, but maybe texting while driving should have more attention brought to it.

I might be going on thin ice here but I don't see any problem with normal conversation while driving,
I do not see a problem driving with a blue tooth ear piece. I do it all the time. My conversations are not that involved to require my full attention, so I pay attention to the road over the conversation.

Don't take this personally, as it is not an attack on either of you; but more of general attitude of the public these days. I think this is entirely the problem, though. What's the point of having a normal conversation in a car. Simple normal conversations are not that important, and can wait until an appropriate time to have. Driving in a car is not, in my opinion, an appropriate time to be talking about grocery lists, how are days were, how good The Dark Knight was, etc. It's like people who answer their cell phones at dinner or in restaurants. Most of us are not that important that we need to answer the phone during dinner or interrupt everything around us.

Granted, I understand the point about "normal" conversations, but I don't see the absolute need to talk to people while driving.

I just find it rather ridiculous that a 16 year old girl was speeding down the highway drunk (and probably with other substances in her system), .

That's a pretty bold (and bad) assumption, considering the surrounding knowledge of the incident. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that a person driving drunk is stoned or high on drug related substances. When I was in high school and college I knew tons of people who drank but didn't do drugs, tons of people that did drugs and did not drink, and tons of people in between. Drinking, doing drugs, and driving are not mutually inclusive of each other.

xvart.

I totally agree with you JC, about both things.

Back