What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
Assorted CP pics:

Here's a newly opened bright red Lady Pauline pitcher showing off her backside:
IMG_5326.jpg

Another pose:
IMG_5334.jpg

She's hungry, her belly is waiting. We'll feed her later...
IMG_5331.jpg

One of my B52's:
IMG_5346.jpg

Wonder what the Sarracenia's have been up to. Oh - I see they are gluttonous as ever and seem especially fond of wasps and hornets:

S. Leuco:
IMG_5979.jpg

Judith Hindle:
IMG_5984.jpg

Another Judith Hindle, this one with a fly who still thinks he can get out. Got to give him credit for trying at least:
IMG_5993.jpg

Dana's Delight proved not too delightful for this dinner guest:
IMG_5986.jpg

drosera aliciae on the growshelf:
IMG_6029.jpg

My small talangensis x veitchii. Very strong grower with long lasting pitchers, but I'm really hoping she colors up eventually.
IMG_6027.jpg

Whole plant in 4" pot, with a newly opened pitcher from my small jacq:
IMG_6028.jpg

My growshelf is contained in mylar and cellophane. I will occasionally catch a fly or bug and let is free inside, to see where it ends up. Here, this fella got himself into a sticky situation:
IMG_5975.jpg

About half an hour later I checked in on him, and he had gotten away, I figured he would as he was big compared to the plant. But - he jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire! My grow shelf 'guard dog' got a hold of him! This mantis has been living in there for several months, and seems perfectly happy (he's actually quite a bit bigger now also):
IMG_5966.jpg

Here's thorelii x (spectabilis x northiana) all dressed up for dinner. Even has the lip gloss on. This plant is quickly becoming a favorite of mine:
IMG_6003.jpg

Smiling for the camera:
IMG_6000.jpg

Okay, feeding time. I let this hornet in, and eventually he found his way to the party. He was so taken with his find he didn't mind the camera up close one bit:
IMG_5996.jpg

It didn't take more than a few seconds and he started slipping and sliding. Rather than get the hint, he got greedy, and paid the price. There he goes! It's blurry, but you can see him going down the gullet:
IMG_5998.jpg

Now for another. Eventually he found his way over to Lady Pauline, now darkened up:
IMG_6007.jpg

Enjoy it buddy, it'll be your last:
IMG_6008.jpg

Slipping toward the abyss:
IMG_6013.jpg

Into the gaping maw he goes. It was quite entertaining watching this one. He was slipping and sliding all over the place, but would somehow save himself each time. But he wouldn't get the hint, and he'd slip and slide some more, each time coming right to the brink:
IMG_6016.jpg

Splash! Enjoy your bath, I'm sure it'll be pleasant on a full belly:
IMG_6019.jpg

WOW! Those all look incredible! I personally like the N. x 'Lady Pauline'.

Excellent presentation, Nightsky. :)

I love that you have a mantis that lives in your grow area!

Awesome! That's a great idea, putting a mantis in there. I think I'm going to have to do that now :D

spectacular pics man! can u please post a high res i.e., 1920 x 1200 version of that mantis eating the fly? Its a perfect desktop background. :D Its a stellar picture.

Wow dude those Nepenthes are beautiful. :banana2:

-Ben

Your nepenthes pictures make me excited for my Nepenthes arriving tomorrow! :banana2:

Very nice capturing of color!

Awsome.
Do you have any pictures of the whole grow area?

Excellent, love the down the tube shots of the Sarrs.

Amazing and lovely colors! Nice mantis too! :)

Thanks all. I've got literally hundreds of photos like these. CP's and photography are two of my favorite hobbies, and right now I have all the time in the world to take pics. Really, the camera does most of the work for me ;) Actually, it has a hard time focusing in the growrack lighting. It's really bright, and even when set for fluorescent light, it tends to have a hard time focusing and frequently gets the exposure wrong and messes up the color saturation, and tells me to use a tripod. But some of them turn out okay.

Apparently the mantis 'guard dog' likes a little of the sweet stuff himself: I caught him drinking from the lid and peristome. He pretty much camped out on the spot for a while! It's a little blurry as the photo was taken through the cellophane with zoom:

IMG_6151.jpg

Hope it doesn't try that with a larger pitcher.

Looks like D. venusta not D. aliciae to me.

Great photos.

Back