What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

surprise visitor

• Thread starter Av8tor1
  • Start date
Wildlife is rather common on my place, but finding a tom in my front yard is still surprising

turkey1.jpg

he is safe on my farm.... ahhhhh as long as he doesnt roost on my truck that is :nono:

Av

smoked turkey..............yummmmmmmmmmm.............

Yeah, and he's only about ten feet from my grill.... sheesh he's pushing his luck LOL

November is just around the corner!

Feed him, so when thanksgiving comes then can pet a turkey!

Nice, there is a flock of wild turkeys that lives around my house but I have never seen one in the yard.

We've suddenly got these in our area for some reason. I've lived here nearly 33 years and until recently we didn't have any wild turkeys roaming around. They're big 'uns too! I nearly hit one while it was strutting across the road. It was the first time i'd ever seen one but now I see groups of them at least once a week.

Yeah, and he's only about ten feet from my grill.... sheesh he's pushing his luck LOL

LOL, that's funny :p

If that guy was in my yard, my husband would have grabbed his shotgun for sure!

Cool! does it make much noise?

Isn't it more majestic than a bald eagle, I wonder why Franklin didn't get his way when he suggest the wild turkey be our national bird.

Wild turkey populations are really exploding in a lot of areas. In Michigan they are getting out of hand, on my parents 5 acres we have two flocks of about 25 turkeys each that both roost on our land and then another flock of what appears to be about 15-20 that often pass through our land looking for food.

Oh and someone said to feed them, unless you like copious amounts of turkey scat I wouldn't recommend it, these guys can make a real mess.

Cool, we have some turkeys that come to the field behind our house. And whenever we go on a car ride for more than 30 minutes, we see at least one turkey with a bunch of babies following it.

lol ! Nice one B! :)

Isn't it more majestic than a bald eagle, I wonder why Franklin didn't get his way when he suggest the wild turkey be our national bird.

uhhhhhh................no..........been around wild turkeys, been fortunate enough to get close to wild bald eagles.......turkeys are dumber than a box of rocks.......been 5 feet away from 2 adult and 3 immature bald eagles as they took off......there is no comparison.....ill take the eagles as our national symbol over a turkey.........

uhhhhhh................no..........been around wild turkeys, been fortunate enough to get close to wild bald eagles.......turkeys are dumber than a box of rocks.......been 5 feet away from 2 adult and 3 immature bald eagles as they took off......there is no comparison.....ill take the eagles as our national symbol over a turkey.........

Yeah I actually aggree with you, I guess the sarcasm isn't as obvious over the internet.

I think the bald eagle is a more appropriate national symbol. It's the most impressive thing around and quite capable of feeding itself, but likes to bully smaller birds and take their food.

As for turkeys, they've really boomed here too and they're much less wary than how I remember turkeys being in Mississippi years ago. I don't know if wildlife departments have found an especially bold & careless strain of them to stock, like is done with trout, but these only look like turkeys, they don't act like them. They seem to be everywhere and I even saw one roosting on a window ledge in downtown Hartford a couple years ago.

Very cool!

I live in an apartment complex, the only area of grassland nearby is the man-made creek and then a park...but much to my amazement about two years ago I was looking out my balcony door and saw a turkey in the yard! Just wandering around, eating, and looking perfectly content. Where he came from is beyond me, Ive never seen turkeys around here ever, muchless in the middle of an apartment complex!

They are definitely large birds!!

A couple of years ago, i had 18 turkies in my yard at one time . it was 2 hens with chisk or whatever they are called, of 2 different sizes.
there haven't been so many around since I put my new fence up.
Now the quail are back. That makes me really happy.
LMO

Dibs on a drumstick!

Turkeys will roost on a car! My friend had some turkeys for pets. They were a hoot but then they started roosting on her landlady's car...sooo...she had to get rid of them (and no she didn't eat them).

My parents get turkeys in their back yard sometimes...a "rafter" as a group of turkeys are called. I've seen them when I go home. They come pretty close to the house.

I love quail...they are soo cute!! Nothing will scare the crap out of you quite like accidently breaking a covey of quail in a field. They make a thunderous boom as they go up!

I love quail...they are soo cute!! Nothing will scare the crap out of you quite like accidently breaking a covey of quail in a field. They make a thunderous boom as they go up!

dont have quail around here but we do have Hungarian partridge, those damn things have taken more years off my life than anything else....scare the crap out of you when the fly up right before you step on them......while doing a driving lesson out in the hills next weekend(on Monday actually) scouting for elk deer and speed goats my stepdaughter and i will be armed and on the look out for sage grouse for dinner.....maybe scare up a sharptail or two aswell........

Back