What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's going to be Historic either way!!

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
John McCain just chose Sarah Palin as his VP pic.

Either we will have our first black president or the countries first woman VP.

Personally I think this just took the wind out of Obama's sails. It surely solidified my vote for McCain!! He he he As if there was any doubt.

WOO HOO GOOOOOOO McCain!!

Paldin, is pro gun, pro hunting, her hubby is a working stiff, even after the tests told her her son was going to have downs syndrome she chose not to have an abortion and is raising the kid just like her other 4, she actually has more experiance in leading than the other 3 combined, she isnt a DC blow hard, has a history of fiscal responsibility......is a self proclaimed "hockey mom"...has gone head to head with the top dogs in her party in Alaska to fix stuff.....only real dirt on her is she tried to get her brother in law fired from his job as a state trooper and from what i have read he deserved to be canned.....

whats not to like?

oh did i mention she is a hottie? WTF is she doing running as VP....she should be running for the head office...........

I think they'll make a good team! Go McCain!

I think she is a hottie too and hell yeah I think they make a good team!

Team? not really.....least not in my opinion.....i figure my vote in November is against Obama and for Palin.....not for McCain & Palin.........i really dont like McCain....have respect for him as a man but very little politically.....i have lots of respect for Palin both as far as a woman and a politician.....im looking at Palin and whats likely to happen 4 years down the road and am actually starting to like what i see....yesterday it didnt matter who won i wasnt looking forward to the future....

even after the tests told her her son was going to have downs syndrome she chose not to have an abortion and is raising the kid just like her other 4

At the risk of sparking debate, I don't necessarily see allowing a mass of cells to develop into a human being afflicted with down syndrome as a positive.

At the risk of sparking debate

My goodness, but do you have a gift for understatement.

Reasons why Palin is a bad choice:

1) She has virtually no experience. She has only a bachelors degree in journalism from the University of Idaho, and was a pageant queen, a sports reporter, and a fisherman before becoming mayor of a town of 9700. Prior to her recent election as governor, that's it. And yet she's a heartbeat away from the Presidency, a valid concern with the elderly cancer survivor, McCain.

2) She's staunchly anti-abortion.

3) She's favors teaching creationism in science class (yikes).

4) She's an oil person. For Anwar drilling and off-shore drilling. Her husband works for BP. We need a break from these oil people.

5) She's opposes equal rights for gay people.

That's a start, and I think this really undermines McCain's argument that Obama lacks the necessary experience for President. A VP must be ready to assume the Presidency just like the candidate themselves. How can they argue about Obama's youth and inexperience now without undermining themselves? To me, this reads like an insulting and cynical attempt to garner Hillary Clinton voters just because he picked a woman.

Capslock

Back into the closet for now.

1) She has virtually no experience. She has only a bachelors degree in journalism from the University of Idaho, and was a pageant queen, a sports reporter, and a fisherman before becoming mayor of a town of 9700. Prior to her recent election as governor, that's it. And yet she's a heartbeat away from the Presidency, a valid concern with the elderly cancer survivor, McCain.

so? she has more experiance than either Washington Lincoln and about the same as Teddy Roosevelt.....this is VP and not president.......besides i say governor trumps senator on experiance levels in the head office

once again she is VP not president, i can live with this for now

minor issue, depends on how much she pushes it on everyone....once again its the VP position she is getting

4) She's an oil person. For Anwar drilling and off-shore drilling. Her husband works for BP. We need a break from these oil people.

her husband is also a commercial fisherman....he is a working stiff not an an executive....not to mention he is tribal.....im all for ANWR and off shore drilling aswell....dont see an issue

minor issue, McCain says let the states decide and i can live with that

That's a start, and I think this really undermines McCain's argument that Obama lacks the necessary experience for President. A VP must be ready to assume the Presidency just like the candidate themselves. How can they argue about Obama's youth and inexperience now without undermining themselves? To me, this reads like an insulting and cynical attempt to garner Hillary Clinton voters just because he picked a woman.

actually she is about the best conservative he could choose.....am EXTREAMLY happy he chose her over Leiberman....had he chose Leiberman i would likely be voting for Barr in November

Capslock

At the risk of sparking debate, I don't necessarily see allowing a mass of cells to develop into a human being afflicted with down syndrome as a positive.

i know of a local down syndrom kid that saved another kid from drowning at the pool.......bet you dont have the first freaking clue what down syndrome really is......

That is EXACTLY how i feel! I think she is just a cheap attempt to pick up hilary and Alaskan voter. The things the GOP is sticking Obama for, she has double as much. And you cant tell me being married to a BP hancho isnt going to affect her "green" and energy policies. Being a Dem, im frankly glad shes the VP candidate!

And have you seen the rally on TV? McCain barely looks her in the eye. He is totally uncomfortable around her. I highly doubt she was his first choice.

actually she is very pro alternative energy........she just realizes we need oil to(have you for got plastics, fertilizers, hebicides and pesticides come from oil) and to get oil we have to punch holes......if your against doing this dont complain about $4 a gallon gas...

as far as experiance Obama has been in the senate for what? 2 years? critiquing government from the sidelines......Palin has been governor for 2 year putting forth and running policies, done wonders with Alaskas budget......deals with foriegn nations on a regular basis(or have you forgotten Alaska is bordered by Canada and Russia?)....she has as muuch and i say more experiance than Obama........

i like that Palin is short on DC experiance....means she aint been touched by its back room politics......thats a GOOD thing...hell its a plus alot of ppl have been trying to give Obama........bet yah she kicks Bidens rear in the VP debate....Palin is not just another pretty face....she has some of the highest approval ratings of any governor in the US......

:offtopic: ALERT!

Down sydrome is trisomy 21. It's where there is a fluke in the building of a human and there ends up to be 3 chromosomes in the 21st position. While there are tests that will tell you there are increased chances your kid will have this disease (IE triple screen), there is no dead set method to know for sure. Even doing an amniocentesis (taking a needle into the amniotic sac and pulling fluid to have that fluid checked for the genetic material) can not be 100% correct. There is even a decent chance they will not get enough genetic material to conduct the test. There is also a 1 out of 200 chance to have a miscarriage. I know people that have done that test and ended up loosing a healthy child.

Anyway- I'm getting off topic here. Our first child had the chance of having Trisomy 18 (3 chromosomes in the 18th position rather than 2) and because there was no test to tell us YES your kid has this disease, we had the baby... That baby died 2 weeks later. Shame on us I guess... but we were not willing to abort a baby that had a good chance of just having a false positive test. Let me explain a little bit.

Basically, I'm just saying people don't generally KNOW their kid has a chromosome disorder. Rather just that there is an increased chance your kid has it. So your choice is, have the baby... which may or may not be sick. Or abort that baby... that may or may not be sick. We were not willing to abort a baby that we wanted, and could clearly end up being healthy with a false positive...

I don't know her exact knowledge of her situation... but if it was like mine (and many other parents I've spoken to that have gone through it) you don't "know" your kid will be sick. So don't go thinking that the kids that are born with these sicknesses were known to have these sicknesses... As you seem to be thinking. There is just no 100% test for that. Thought you should know. And sorry for being :offtopic: Feel free to PM me if you would like though....
Andrew

I stand corrected then. I wasn't aware that tests for this weren't 100% conclusive.

Capslock

:usa2: :clap:
Rattler, I don't think Obama's plans will increase taxes for middle class citizens very much. I think he's made it clear that the taxes will be raised primarily on huge componies and the wealthy (wealthy meaning the top 5% of wage earners). Basically he'll cutt back Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy. According to his people it should lower taxes for 95% of people.
I don't like McCain, but I love his logo. It looks like some sort of choclate bar wrapper or something.
What really makes me excited the most is Obama's college community service thing...if you volunteer for helping fight poverty, literacy, or participate in community service you get tax breaks that make it easiar to go to college. I'm sure you already know that but I think thats such a good idea...our country would get so much more done long term if we just gave more people the oppurtunity to get an affordable college education and hence give them a chance in life. Plus it would encourage people to help the country.
Capslock said it already so I won't bother repeating why I don't like Palin. And gay marriage is NOT exactely a minor issue. And I think I'll die if my little brothers have to learn about Christianity in the science class room.

JRFxtreme, I appreciate that, I was pretty sure someone that knew what I know on it would not make a statement like that. That's why I wanted to toss out some information.
Andrew

Thanks for that Adnedarn, I too stand corrected. That really makes abortion a much more complex issue when the chances of the baby having the disorder or not aren't 100% determined.

Rattler, I don't think Obama's plans will increase taxes for middle class citizens very much. I think he's made it clear that the taxes will be raised primarily on huge componies and the wealthy (wealthy meaning the top 5% of wage earners). Basically he'll cutt back Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy. According to his people it should lower taxes for 95% of people.
I don't like McCain, but I love his logo. It looks like some sort of choclate bar wrapper or something.

have you actually looked at his probosals? my taxes are going to go up significantly and my wife and i make under $100,000 per year.........not to mention you dont tax the hell out of big businesses that is stupid....they send more jobs out of the country then.........not to mention taxing the oil companies to give everyone a "rebate" the stupidest thing i have ever heard......US oil companies already pay over 3 times what their clear profit is in taxes to the feds and states........i swear some of you dont know what it is like to actually run and own a freaking business.....even a small one.......you wouldnt believe what we pay in taxes even as a lil guy.......

Rattler, it's just crazy to say that Palin has more experience than Obama. Just nuts.

He's excelled and performed at every level. From being President of the Harvard Law Review to graduating magna cum laude from Harvard, his education accomplishments vastly outstrip Palin's bachelors degree in journalism from the University of Idaho.

Obama has written several well-received books, worked as a teacher of Constitutional law at the University of Chicago, led drives to increase voter registration, and founded and served on the board of directors of several foundations and was an active State legislator in ethics reform. In the Senate, he's on the Foreign Relations, Environment and Public Works and Veterans' Affairs committes.

Palin was a sports reporter and fisherman before joining the city council and becoming mayor of her town of 9500. I applaud her ethics reform as governor - her best achievements to date. They have made her wildly popular in a state that is laden with corruption.

Finally, Obama will not raise your taxes. He will lower them unless you're very rich, and the very rich have had massive tax cuts under Bush, transferring the burden to the middle class. This is part of why the average American makes $2K less per year under Bush than they did under Clinton. The average American has done worse under the fiscal policies of the Bush administration, policies that McCain vows to continue.

I do know how to run a business - have done so for 18 years. I also know how corporations dodge taxes, offshore jobs and finances to dodge taxes, and I know Obama seeks to close those loopholes, while McCain still touts the failed and disastrous policy of letting corporations run wild like they have under Bush. Corporatism is the single greatest threat to our way of life in the USA, and the most compelling reason why I will not support a Republican until they come out from under the thumbs of the most evil and exploitative corporations on the planet.

Capslock

Yikes - I'm not even going to touch this one...Needless to say I disagree 100%.

Back