What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's going to be Historic either way!!

The revelation that Sarah Palin’s 17-year-old daughter is pregnant won’t change the minds of most people who have already decided to vote for either McCain or Obama. However, both candidates are now fighting for the support of undecided voters. Palin’s commitment to abstinence only programs is derived from her ultra conservative philosophy, which is one of the reasons that McCain chose her for his running mate. However, the pregnancy of Palin’s daughter constitutes her own life experience that shows that abstinence only education doesn’t work well. By association, it raises doubts about the validity of her ultra conservative philosophy, the conservative Republican Party, and John McCain himself. It is no wonder that Republicans are saying that the pregnant daughter is irrelevant to the campaign and should be left alone. They don’t want the undecided voters to make the connections. However, they already have. The latest polls show that McCain’s numbers are down and Obama’s numbers are up.

From that moment on, I knew he'd be our next President. Until a few days ago, 70% had never heard of Palin.

so your telling me until he started running for president 70% of the country had never heard of Obama........ :D ............my dad is a die hard democrat and he doesnt watch the convention....i dont watch either of them aswell.....why? cause if i wanted to spend hours watching a group of ppl pat each other on the back ill go to the local school board and city council meetings.....least ill get paid to go and sit through those....im guessing the vast majority of the country is the same way, especially about the party they arent a part of.......the reason you never heard of Palin is prolly the same reason i never heard of Obama till he started running.....

Found this a little bit ago, Larry Kudlow of CNBC's "Kudlow & Co" got the following response when asked about the possibility of becoming the VP:

Sarah Palin said:
As for that VP talk all the time, I'll tell you, I still can't answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day?

I'm used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we're trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.

xvart.

been reading up on the book banning incident.....no books were banned....no attempts were actually made to ban any books.....seems she inquired with the Wasilla library over how one would ban books cause some TAX PAYERS approached her with the idea and that was about it......it was brought up at one town meeting and dropped................damn some of yah like to make a mountain out of a mole hill........once again i find this to be a non issue.........there is a list floating around about what books she supposedly tried to ban.....funny thing is a chunk of them were published AFTER 1996 when the issue supposedly happened which means its BS.....its just a compiled list of books that various libraries(public, school and otherwise) across the country have banned at one point or another

My problem isn't that she asked about having the books banned - it's that she tried to have library staff fired for not helping her to get them banned. That's a very clean-cut abuse of power.
~Joe

and from what i see thats just a rumor......having issues tracking down cold hard facts on it.......

Check the New York Times article: she did fire the librarian shortly after taking office, but then had to re-hire her due to community protest.
~Joe

yeah well the Times magazine could not even get ahold of the librarian in question to get her story.....i want to hear the story from the librarians mouth......working for the county paper ive seen lots of this....5 different story bout what happened usually very different from each other.........if the librarian in question comes out and says yes she tried to get me fired over this ill buy it....till then its hear-say as far as im concerned.....i have actually personally had to cover these types of things with the county and the schools to much to be able to accept anything else.....

That's fair. I guess I'm a bit of a pot-stirrer myself. :D
My problem with Palin is that she doesn't present herself as someone who's ready for the job. I can't explain it - it's just something that I see in her eyes when she speaks. I'm already disappointed enough that someone as green as Obama has managed to be more appealing to me than McCain. I was sure that the Dems would just crash into each other and leave the election open for a "new GOP" sweep. I'm not even sure I want to vote in this one; I'm pretty evenly unhappy with my choices.
In 2012 I think we should pass the primaries over to FOX and let them make some fun game show out of it.
~Joe

on another forum im on im pretty sure there is a couple members from Wasilla......posted a question asking for more info.....will let yah know if i track down anything concrete either way......i just have a hard time believing she sought to get a librarian fired over something that 1: was not her idea, 2: was brought up at only a single meeting than dropped........most of what i have seen with this kinda stuff that does lead to someone being wrongly persecuted in a job like this takes place over a much greater length of time and generally has atleast a couple very interesting public meetings....... but thats just from what i have seen

I wanted to address this:

Caps.....still say sex ed is a parent issue, not a school issue.......the "teen pregnancy problem" is a modern invention....100 years ago you were out of the house and likely married at 16-18......physiologically we have not changed in the last 100 years......mentally we have gone backwards.....most all can be attributed to government run schools raising kids so their parents dont have to.....more and more schools are less about education and more about being a babysitter for the parents.....my sisters, bother and i all knew the alphabet(as in recognizing letters, not singing the "alphabet song" ) by the time we were 4 and were reading some by the time we hit kindergarten........now a days its easy to find a 2nd grader that cant read hardly at all.....why is that? lack of parental involvement for the most part.....

sex ed is 100% on the heads of [parents, not schools, dont give a rats arse how a parent tackles it....yes i know some ways work more than others but it aint my place to raise their kid.......

Yes, sex ed SHOULD be, at least in part, done by the parrents. I don't think it should be 100%, because there are things that people just don't know, and many parrents just aren't good teachers. However, they SHOULD BE invloved. Teens don't have to listen, but just knowing their parrents find something important will make them think about it more.

At any rate, what parrents SHOULD DO isn't what they DO do. You're making a choice based on how the world SHOULD BE, not how it is. That's a problem. Yes, we should strive to change the world into how is SHOULD BE, but we should make our choices based on how it IS, not our visions of utopia.

The simple fact is that many parrents don't care, don't know how, are uncomfortable, are religious fundamentalists (and therefore preach the very thing that goes in one ear and out the other), or are just plain too stupid.

Therefore, even though there is a minority of parrents will all the esential tools to teach their children how to approach sex responsibly, that leaves a all the rest who don't have those tools.

If we want to reduce teen pregnancy, and MOST parrents simply don't have right tools to educate their children effectively (even though they SHOULD), are we supposed to say "Oh, well, too bad for you that your parrents stink," and let all these teens get pregant? Or would it behoove us, as a society, to provide an alternate means to convey the necessary information for good choices in an arena where we know we'll catch the vast majority of kids - schools?

Yes, many teens will still make stupid choices. But the education will allow many to make smart choices that they otherwise would not have had the knowledge to make.

You can't fix stupid, but you CAN fix ignorant.

guess thats where you and i differ philosophically.......when push comes to shove i would prefer schools stick to the real subjects and leave sex ed and the like to the parents....also dont like the fact that due to Bush's No Child Left Behind Act classes are REALLY being dumbed down for the slowest kids in the class.....would rather see them separated to a different classroom and the bright kids get pushed along as fast as they can handle and the slower kids pushed along as fast as they can handle.....to me this makes more sense than slowing every one down and leaving the bright kids bored as hell.....im kinda big on survival of the fittest......there were lots of kids in my high school that really should not have been there, they had no interest in learning, were mainly out to disturb everyone else and surprise surprise even though the school went through the motions and got half of them diplomas cause they were minorities....8 years after graduation they are still not doing anything that can be remotely called productive, very few even holding down a part time job and are living off the guberment tit........should have kicked them out of school their freshman year to leave those of us that actually cared about our education the hell alone.....they wouldnt be any worse off than they are now.....and the kids that wanted to learn would have been better off......

nah schools anymore are becoming government babysitters more than anything and a replacement for parenting.......cant say that i agree with it........those that want to will succeed......those that dont will try to mooch off those that do....been that way since civilization started....aint nothing going to change that and our current guberment is only making it worse with their entitlement programs......

One reason the No Child Left Behind is such a travesty is that if anyone in the school fails the standardised tests the school looses all funding. This "anyone in the school" includes the mentally challenged kids. When I was in school we had some kids who did nothing but bang their heads on the wall and one kid did nothing but drool. There is no way they even could hold a pencil to fill out a test of any kind. Our school would have been really bad off if they'd had no money to run it. None of the hicks around here have any money to build a private school. Overall, I think the government wants to keep people stupid. The more ignorant and less motivated the populace is, the better.

There are three minutes left in the fourth quarter of the game, and the Republican Party is trailing by two touchdowns. A minute ago they were down by only one touchdown, when they brought in Sarah Palin to run with the ball. But she fumbled, allowing the Democratic Party to score. The Republican Party is now even more desperate than before, and they have to make take even more risks if they want to have a chance of winning. Their problem is that they don’t have many playmakers, and their options are limited. Most likely the Republican Quarterback John McCain will be flinging some long passes tonight, hoping to connect with at least one of them. He will be attacking the Democratic Party and using the politics of fear. Expect him to repeatedly say words like “terrorists” and “terrorism.” Expect him to emphasize his military experience. Expect conventioneers to cheer “USA…USA….” Expect Fox “News” to be euphoric. But don’t expect 38 million people to be watching the speech.

fumbled? how in the hell do you figure?.....................even most of the media outlets that support Obama said she did a damn fine job......her teleprompter malfunctioned and she didnt miss a beat cause she KNEW her speech....Obama has proven he cant do that........

guess thats where you and i differ philosophically.......when push comes to shove i would prefer schools stick to the real subjects and leave sex ed and the like to the parents....also dont like the fact that due to Bush's No Child Left Behind Act classes are REALLY being dumbed down for the slowest kids in the class.....would rather see them separated to a different classroom and the bright kids get pushed along as fast as they can handle and the slower kids pushed along as fast as they can handle.....to me this makes more sense than slowing every one down and leaving the bright kids bored as hell.....im kinda big on survival of the fittest......there were lots of kids in my high school that really should not have been there, they had no interest in learning, were mainly out to disturb everyone else and surprise surprise even though the school went through the motions and got half of them diplomas cause they were minorities....8 years after graduation they are still not doing anything that can be remotely called productive, very few even holding down a part time job and are living off the guberment tit........should have kicked them out of school their freshman year to leave those of us that actually cared about our education the hell alone.....they wouldnt be any worse off than they are now.....and the kids that wanted to learn would have been better off......

Yes, we differ on the topic of sex ed. Do you disagree that it's a good idea for them to educated in both places? One re-enforces the other. Maybe SOMETHING will stick even in the stubborn teen head....

As for the rest, I agree 100% on the no child left behind stuff. But I find it ironic that you beleive in survival of the fittest, yet want a woman in office who wants creationism taught in biology!

fumbled? how in the hell do you figure?.....................even most of the media outlets that support Obama said she did a damn fine job......her teleprompter malfunctioned and she didnt miss a beat cause she KNEW her speech....Obama has proven he cant do that........

Uhhh breathalyzer! Err Inhilater.

Uhhhh alright... ok... we're going to!

Hold on one second, I can't hear myself!

dont mind if creationism is taught so long as evolution gets equal playing time.....that would increase critical thinking....i CAN handle that........

as for the sex ed.....dont actually care if its taught in school........the schools do soooooooooooooooo well(insert dripping sarcasm here) with drug education......cant say i believe sex ed in schools does much better......but as i said i dont believe its the schools job to teach it, its the parents job anyway........

Yes, we differ on the topic of sex ed. Do you disagree that it's a good idea for them to educated in both places? One re-enforces the other. Maybe SOMETHING will stick even in the stubborn teen head....

I agree with Rattler that it should be the parents responsibility to educate their child on sex, and how they believe it should be educated.

As for the rest, I agree 100% on the no child left behind stuff. But I find it ironic that you beleive in survival of the fittest, yet want a woman in office who wants creationism taught in biology!

Maybe we wouldn't have all these ID vs Evolution arguments if evolution wasn't rammed down as 100% absolute truth like it is today.

ID is a travesty - a simultaneous perversion of religion and science.

As for evolution, it's taught in the same way as plate tectonics and any number of other scientific "facts". It's the theory that best explains what is observed. People are continually refining it and current thought in evolution is way beyond what was imagined in the 19th Century. Occasionally there's a revolution (I refuse to say paradigm shift (Oh crap, I just said it)) and a science jumps to a new position. I got into geology too late to experience the plate tectonics revolution, but many of my professors and other geologists I've known were there for it and it inspired a lot of people and cleared some dead wood too.

As for sex ed, studies show it helps reduce unintended pregnancy and STD transmission. Since society is better with less of those things, society is better off with sex ed.

Back