What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My turn now

The Gulf Coast usually gets hammered FAR worse than we do here in Richmond. And I feel very badly for everyone there where the destruction is so bad. It is hard on familes and very very costly in many ways. Although we don't usually get it too bad, we've had a few that were pretty bad...Isabel in particular and also the stalling of Gaston causing terrible flooding (including my basement... :( ).

But unless something changes, Hanna won't do much here but bring desperately needed rain.

Ozzy is in more of a direct path so he'll have more to contend with.

I hope all of your family is ok. Gustav wasn't a Katrina but still caused a LOT of damage.

Clouds have flattened out...grey outside...wind picking up slightly. It's raining in Petersburg 30 minutes away.

Thanks for the concern Chris. I've been through some really bad hurricanes. Hugo, Fran and Floyd were the biggest ones.

I live right in the middle of where the flytraps are, hurricanes are not a real danger to cp's. They are really beneficial to them much like fires are. So any time a hurricane hits it actually helps cp's.

I'm getting ready to go back to the beach to get more pics. I'll post them soon.

Good luck to you, Ozzy and anyone else :)

OMG the worst possible thing has happened. I have been fearing that this would happen since yesterday and I just learned that it has become a reality. The Nascar race in Richmond will NOT be ran tomorrow night. They closed the whole track until Sunday.

I guess having a hurricane is not bad enough, now they postponed the race.

:censor:

I got some good pics and movies. I'm working on them right now. I'll post them soon.

It's raining now and the heavy winds and rain is about to move onshore.

Here's a good radar site for my area.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=LTX&product=NCR&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

I'm right in the middle of the south facing beaches.

Here's the pics from the beach.

l_d1ce0856fcb40ffd01b973d03099ec20.jpg

l_e3edfb5d1784ce9b477fa22207cd2e0d.jpg

l_6ebcf5be4ab7189fec241726ef1db4ae.jpg

Look at the sand blowing in the next pic.

l_35a128796ac4da6e65bd93ca283841f7.jpg

l_e7981634b34363fa4b2b9de186ecd555.jpg

l_428a624281c47968c301f3c48abbf89d.jpg

l_4428ef7893c16a13d64521dbbd8c00a1.jpg

l_e24d9f18060c84efc4756ee59f32c25a.jpg

l_c473d1ac584c471fa465e6f5f26d3ce0.jpg

l_1977d4f057d80df5f39c1953cfadf4cc.jpg

I'm going to start uploading the videos, I'll post some of them but if you want to see all of them go to myspace.com/voodoodancer

Thanks everyone for your concern.

I agree with Ozzy, we have seen much, much worse in the past.

It looks like it's just raining a little right now.

Ok here are a few of the videos. Again go to myspace.com/voodoodancer if you want to watch all of them.

The sand was blowing so hard that it was stinging as it hit you.

Hanna2
<object width="425" height="360">

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42242378,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

Hanna3

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42242467,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

Hanna4

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42242662,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

The sea foam was really blowing around. Some of the pieces of foam was over a foot wide.

Hanna8

Hanna12

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42243489,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

Hanna15

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42249846,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

There was a bird that was running up into the surf to grab small crabs and then he'd run back away from the waves.

Hanna10

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42246562,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

Here is a video of the wind at around 10:50 pm at my house.

Hanna Winds at 10:50 9/05/08

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42253482,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

There are more videos on my myspace page.

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42245539,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="360"></object>

Last edited:
Heres the last video before I left the beach. Hanna almost claimed it's first victim, my camera. Talk about a close call.

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42250361">Hanna16</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42250361,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=42250361,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,secondarycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

The last one was the best. Good save!

And what do you mean crooked cops and judges in Ohio?

You guys OK?
I finally got power back this morning - I do not wish that on anyone!
Looks like I am more likely to get Ike here in Louisiana than anyone in the Carolinas, I am afraid - Get ready Florida!
I'm getting more gas for the generator and the cars while the lines are short!

And what do you mean crooked cops and judges in Ohio?
In 2001 I moved to ohio. From the time I first got there I would be charged with things I was completely innocent of. Most people would just pay it off because it was easier and cheaper. I'm not most people. I fought the things in court because I was innocent.I thought that the judges would abide by the constitution, but I was guilty from the time I first stepped into the court room. One of the time I documented everything. I went to the trial and blew the cop and the prosecution away. The whole case centered around what time I went through a school zone. I proved that I couldn't be in the school zone the time the cop said I was. And I got the cop to admit that she didn't know if she put the correct time on the ticket. Judge Paul Lux of the milan court wouldn't even look at all my evidence. When I was done there was not a person in that court that thought I lost. The judge told me that he would inform me of his verdict by mail within 7 days. Has anybody ever heard of that? Well a month goes by and I don't hear nothing. I called and they told me that when the judge makes his decision I would be informed. I kept calling back until I told them that as far as I was concerned the case was over. 5 months and 30 days after the trial I got a letter saying I was guilty. I'm guessing there was a limitation of six months on the verdict. Of course I appealed. I had to hire a transcriber to transcribe the trial from tape to paper. She told me that I better make sure that I get the court clerk to stamp the date on any receipt of any documents that I file because that court has a habit of filing documents late. That's exactly what they did, and my appeal was thrown out. Judge Paul Lux is more crocked than the any of the people that walks into his court room.

Another time I was checking out of a motel, when I noticed my wife's brake light had been broken. The cops were called to file a report. The cop went inside to talk to the motel. I told my wife I was going to go to the store that was 50 feet in front of us to get a drink. A few mins later my phone rings and my wife tells me that the cop want me to come back. I told her to tell him that I'd be there in a few mins. He got on the phone and said "Why don't you come back here, I got some felonies for you." This was after I had fled from ohio because of their illegal persecution of me. I was living in NC at that time. I was flying home later that day. So I told him that I hadn't done anything wrong and I wasn't going back. I called somebody I knew to come pick me up. I hit the woods and waited beside an interstate for them to get there. While I was waiting my wife called again and told me that they wanted me to come back. I told her that I wasn't going to because I wasn't going to be charged with felonies for something I didn't do. He got back on the phone and told me that they were about to release a dog to track me. I told him to go ahead because I was already halfway to Cleveland. I was bluffing but but what did I have to lose. My wife told me later that the dog couldn't find my trail. lol I told the cop that I was on my way out of the state and he's never see me again.

He called back later and told me that he wanted to make a deal with me. He would only charge me with misdemeanors and I would be released in time to catch the plane, if I came back. If I didn't come back he was going to arrest my wife and have her car towed. So I agreed to that. What choice did I really have. Another cop met me on the exit ramp of the interstate and arrested me like I was a murderer. I asked what I was going to be charged with and he said that he didn't know. I got to the police station and they told me they were going to charge me with Identify theft, fleeing from law enforcement and obstruction. I asked why ID theft and he said because I wouldn't give them my name when I was talking to the cop on the phone. I told him that he couldn't charge me with fleeing because I was never told not to leave and I voluntarily came back when asked. He didn't say anything. They put me in a cell until my wife made bail. After a few hours she made my bail and they came to the cell to get me. They put me on the outside of a glass room. They were on the inside. They slipped the citation to me under the glass and told me to sign it, Of course I read it first. There were 3 charges. ID fraud, DCI, and obstruction of official business. I asked what is DCI, and the cop said that's because you were drinking. I said I wasn't drinking. He said to tell it to the judge because they had it all on tape.. I got a little louder and said You know I wasn't drinking! Yelled at me and said Sign the Citation!!

I said OK, I'll sign it, and I circled DCI and wrote omit beside it. He snatched the pen out of my hand and said You can't deface my citation. I yelled back that he knows that I was drinking.

They both opened the door to the glass booth came up to me and each one grabbed me by the shoulders. They started walking me down this hall. They opened a door and threw me out of the jail and into a lobby. Then went back inside and locked the door. The whole time I was cussing at them although I don't remember what I said. I just remember cussing. I saw my wife's car outside and started walking towards it and then my wife walked up behind me and told me to calm down. I said a few words that I can't say here. But in other words I told her I was not going to calm down. She got me in the car and I told her they charged me with drinking. She said but you weren't drinking. I went straight to a nearby hospital and had them do a blood alcohol test on me to prove in court that I wasn't drinking.

So when it was all said and done I was arrested because I walked to a store to get a coke. The cop looked like he was barely in high school and I think he over reacted and then had to explain why he had called the dogs on me for a broken tail light. So he made up charges thinking that I would just plead it down because I lived out of state.

There are a lot more stories I could tell but i just don't feel like it.

CP30 I'm afraid that you're right. It looks like Ike is headed somewheres near you. I know what it's like to lose power. I've gone without power for over two weeks before.

Good luck and stay safe.

The wind started up here around 1:00am. I didn't get much sleep. It seemed like every gust woke me up. Thankfully we didn't have any damage. In the area only a few smallish trees were snapped. We lost power for an hour this morning around 8:30am. Not sure why.

Stay safe for those that may be in Ike's path. Good luck.

Crystal

I'm glad you guys are doing alright.

That video of the bird (Sandpiper?) was cute. And the last one of the camera was good too.

CP30, good luck with Ike! It's going to miss most of FL, but the Keys are still evacuating.

Make sure to check in when it's over! Best of luck to everyone!

P.S- Alright Jimmie Johnson for winning today!, even though the race was postponed
:-D

I wish the race had been held on Sat. so Joey Logano could have had his debut here. :-/

BUT...if Jeff Burton couldn't win, I'm ok with JJ. Even more OK that Earnhardt wrecked Kyle even if he really didn't do it on purpose. heehee Nothing gets a crowd up on their feet more than Kyle getting whacked. LOL Anyway...I got some hauler pics which I'm gonna try to post later. The trucks are pretty.

We got rain rain rain and more RAIN. We needed it though. After the rain stopped, then the wind started but nothing major. I heard that in Charlottesville, about an hour to the west of us, the sun was shining all day. They had no clouds, no rain, no wind.

Last edited:
Back