What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandhills Gamelands in NC

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
Hi all,

I took some extra time during my week to get some photos of a special place. Thought I would share. The following are photos from the Sandhills Gamelands in Scotland County, NC.

These plants should be protected in the forseable future. The general habitat consist of burned/managed pine stands with associated riparian wetlands/picosin habitat. Most of this land is managed for the endangered plant and woodpecker species found in this county.

Sarracenia rubra ssp. rubra was found growing along the wetland margins.
ReferenceandCPs034.jpg

ReferenceandCPs037.jpg

Something noncarnivorous but still special. This is the federally endangered rough-leaved loosestrife (Lysamachia asperulifolia). To bad its past flowering season. These are growing right along side the Sarras.
ReferenceandCPs029.jpg

This site caught my attention when I came across beautiful Drosera intermedia growing almost upside down on a log.
ReferenceandCPs048.jpg

ReferenceandCPs055.jpg

Growing and flowering
ReferenceandCPs072.jpg

ReferenceandCPs077.jpg

General habitat view
ReferenceandCPs082.jpg

Seems like you had a nice time. Thanks for sharing :)

Now that's a wothwhile trip!

Very nice. Do you know much about how it's managed? The area shown in your last photo looks like it hasn't had a fire in quite a while.

Wow I hope to see such sights someday in situ....

Cool, I didn't know there were rubras in the sandhills.

Nice pics.

Very nice. Do you know much about how it's managed? The area shown in your last photo looks like it hasn't had a fire in quite a while.

I do not know the prescribed burn schedule for this area but due to the blackened longleaf/loblolly pine stumps and tree bases in the vicinity I'm sure its burned on some type of schedule. Loosetrife wouldn't be growing there without this management as it would be shaded or competed out if not for some type of regular burns. Actually, I've seen healthier looking Sarras too. The place could probably use a burn.

Cool, I didn't know there were rubras in the sandhills.

Nice pics.

Using Schnell's distribution maps I think its about as far west in NC as they can get. Its my first time seeing them in the wild. I won't forget how to get there as I will continue to return to check on there status. I've seen plenty of S. purps, and flava scattered around in the area but I was exited to see the rubras.

Here are some more S. rubra ssp. rubra from this week. Anyone know what insect makes that nest on the left pitcher? My guess would be some type of paper wasp. Wonder if there specific to pitcher plants? Is it the grass-cutting wasp Isodontia sp. mentioned in Schnell's CP book?

ReferenceandCPsII001.jpg

ReferenceandCPsII003.jpg

ReferenceandCPsII013.jpg

ReferenceandCPsII018.jpg

I've seen plenty of S. purps, and flava scattered around in the area but I was exited to see the rubras.
What flava flavors were in the area? NC has a sweet variety.....

Any Pinguicula?

Any Pinguicula?

I've seen Pinguicula sp. in other parts of the Sandhills. I'll try to get back to there next spring and summer. I'm going to make it a goal to travel around and document as many CPs as I can in and aroung the Sandhills. There is a possibility of coming across some neat natural hybrids out there too.

What flava flavors were in the area? NC has a sweet variety.....

I've seen S. flava 'Typical' in one place scattered around. There all over the Sandhills just have to spend some time looking. There are plenty of back roads on and off state gamelands in the area with little development for now. This area in my opinion is a great place to look for CPs. It's a diverse place and one of my favorite places in the state. I spent some time a few years back in Ozzy country all though I've never met him. When I was in the Green Swamp I was amazed by what seemed like endless variation in S. flava.

Here's NY's flava flavor ... ummm ... Flavor Flav ... ummm ... never mind.

flavor-flav-newswire-400a111606.jpg

Back