What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to Find Cephalotus follicularis

lonnie

All about the Carnivorous Plants
I would like to start raising Cephalotus follicularis and was wondering where would be a good place to get a start at.

if you have plants for trade try to trade for one, otherwise try some vendors...

There's alot of online sites that sell them, the only problem is that the plants are small and extremely expensive.

I bought my Ceph for $21, but it was the last one offered at that price. Everything is now in the 40s and 50s.

Cephalotus follicularis

Cephalotus follicularis is a small herb. The insectivorous leaves are small, green, and have the appearance of moccasins, forming the 'pitcher' of the common name. Other leaves on the plant are simple with an entire leaf blade. The foliage is a basal arrangement that is closely arranged with outward facing adapted leaf blades. The plant occurs in southern coastal districts of the Southwest botanical province in Australia; recorded in the Warren (biogeographic region), southern Jarrah Forest, and the Esperance Plains. Its habitat is on moist peaty sands found in swamps or along creeks and streams, but it is tolerant of less damp situations. Its population in the wild has been reduced by habitat destruction and overcollecting; it is therefore classified as Vulnerable species.
----------------------------
RENITA

Search Engine Optimization

As previously recommended, there are a number of vendors w/ plants available. eBay almost always has some.

Many people don't like getting a small plant .... within 3-12 months, they are usually starting to put up larger pitchers. I enjoy seeing them make the progression. Some spend a lot of time growing a profusion of pubescent pitchers, others only grow a few & switch over to adult size. If you look at the plant on the left (in my growlist pic), you'll notice that it has very few small pitchers compared to the others. It just popped up large pitchers in a short time ...

I like to deal with the "winter leaves". Elgecko gave me a plant in 2004. 3 years later it succumbed to that sudden death phenomenon.... but I had a winter leaf in the LFS. And as more of those leaves develop I just pull and plunk into the LFS. My plants are very small, but I do have backups.

Cephalotus follicularis is a small herb. The insectivorous leaves are small, green, and have the appearance of moccasins, forming the 'pitcher' of the common name. Other leaves on the plant are simple with an entire leaf blade. The foliage is a basal arrangement that is closely arranged with outward facing adapted leaf blades. The plant occurs in southern coastal districts of the Southwest botanical province in Australia; recorded in the Warren (biogeographic region), southern Jarrah Forest, and the Esperance Plains. Its habitat is on moist peaty sands found in swamps or along creeks and streams, but it is tolerant of less damp situations. Its population in the wild has been reduced by habitat destruction and overcollecting; it is therefore classified as Vulnerable species.
---------------------------

Thanks for the info - - but we already know this stuff.

Back