What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did I call 911?

I was calling my aunt after talking to my dad today and I got the 911 operator asking what my emergency was. My aunts # isn't anything close to 911 (not to mention the additional 4 numbers). So what's going on? Has this happened to anyone else?

most 911 centers have a local number aswell.....

Rattler's answer might be right, but it's kind of boring. Maybe you have a subconscious craving for attention. One part of the brain said, "call a relative" and another part said, "no way, I'm dialing 911."

I can't imagine why 911 rang up... My aunts # doesn't even have a 9! I've never dialed 911 (or any other emergency type numbers) at any time for anything, so it's not programmed anywhere in my phone. It's been about 3-4 hours so maybe they won't send the cops, fire dept and paramedics. I told them what number I dialed they just said to hang up try it again which worked fine. They didn't mention any local 911 dispatch number was similar. I just don't wanna get stuck with some kinda bill/fine for calling erroneously when I "know" I didn't.

One of my co-workers told me her 8 year old daughter announced one day after getting in trouble "if you put me in my room I'm going to call 911!" :)

Could be your aunt was pllaying a trick on you pretending to be the 911 operator.

Not unless she became a man! ;)

Not unless she became a man!

You've seen Ozzy's April Fools jokes. Some people just get that in to it. ;)

You've seen Ozzy's April Fools jokes. Some people just get that in to it. ;)

LMAO!

I don't know what to tell you, Swords. That's pretty weird. I doubt you'll get fined though
:)

I can't imagine why 911 rang up... My aunts # doesn't even have a 9! I've never dialed 911 (or any other emergency type numbers) at any time for anything, so it's not programmed anywhere in my phone. It's been about 3-4 hours so maybe they won't send the cops, fire dept and paramedics. I told them what number I dialed they just said to hang up try it again which worked fine. They didn't mention any local 911 dispatch number was similar. I just don't wanna get stuck with some kinda bill/fine for calling erroneously when I "know" I didn't.

One of my co-workers told me her 8 year old daughter announced one day after getting in trouble "if you put me in my room I'm going to call 911!" :)

lol dont worry bout a bill or anything......aint going to happen.....as i said most 911 centers have a local number that works the same as 911.....however the dispatcher will likely not know if the person calling in dialed that number or 911......i know most all the 911 dispatches in Montana have a local number, part of the reason is if yah dial 911 on your cell phone it gives the cell companies somewhere to route your number to based on your location.....for awhile when cell phones werent as common if you dialed 911 up here you had no clue weither you were going to get the local 911 center or one on the other side of the state....so ppl programed the local number into their phones.....

so long as your explanation was sound, which it was, and they dont send a vehicle to your place you defiantly wont see a bill......dont know how it works where your at but the only time i see a bill if i dial 911 is if they send an ambulance in which case the hospital bills me.......fire department and police are paid for through my taxes already.......

Does your aunts # begin with a 1?

If so, were you dialing (as I sometimes do) as if you were in an office?

You know, 9 to get an outside line, 1, then the number (area code first)?

So if her number was 123-456-7899, you would have dialed 9-1-123-456-7899.....

Had this happen before, who'da thunk it'd be you and me sharing this stupid experience eh Bro??

Our phone, years ago, was a fairly standard model, nice cheap circuit-boards and all. One day it got some crap spilled on it (I think it was beer) and we quickly toweled it off and aired it out.

I guess it wasn't fully dry right then and there, but it worked fine, no shorts

A few days later it started producing wrong numbers pretty much every time and finally it got so bad that dialing 227, 684, any local prefix connected us right to 911. After 3 times of this happening they basically said it had better not happen again. We replaced the phone and never had the problem again.

I suggest a possible short in yer phone from whatever, could be long-term deterioration, could be humidity, could be anything, but I have heard from a few other buddies similar tales, somehow I think it goes kinda "binary" when it fails and the only tones it'll make are 9 and 1

On a related note I have called 911 thrice, once while riding my bike I saw I guy foolishly trying to cross a busy 4 lane highway- he didn't make it and the driver was freaking out on the other side of the fence (this was before cellphones) so I rode to the closest payphone and summoned the authorities, one time when I saw a guy wipe out into a curb on his bike (seemingly TOTALLY drunk) and just lie there motionless, and once when the OLOD lady across the street slipped on some ice while retrieving her recycling bin, she was shredded up pretty good, and the operator asked where the problem was, then stated that I was NOT calling from that address and gave me a hard time about that fact while the lady lay in the snow bleeding profusely- why would ANYONE call in that kind of practical joke at noon on a weekday??

We had this happen periodically for about a year - usually when we had rainy weather for a few days straight. Turns out that squirrels had chewed their way into a junction about 0.5 mile down the road from us. When it got wet inside, some weird things happened. We never had the 911 person call, we just had policemen show up at our door asking lots of questions and eyeing us suspiciously...

The phone company never came clean that it was their issue. I just happen to be biking that day and passed the repair guy and asked what he was doing. Even though the issue was not between our house & the phone company, he said they frequently keep the lines open for some distance after the house unless there is an issue. Even though we had called the phone company many times, they always told us that they figured the problem was not theirs. Turns out that they never even bothered to have anyone check the lines. The repairman said that it would have been an easy fix (separate the downstream wires from our line).

I don't have to dial out or any prefixes as she lives only 10 miles away or so. I've called my dad before (he insists on a call every day) and gotten my grandmother and their numbers are way different, infact to call my grandmother I have to look her # up since I don't call it often being that she's nearly deaf. But my dad's number is nearly all 3s and the other is almost all 7s and 9s. But none of these #s are programmed in the phone. I haven't spilled anything on the handset though it has been dropped a couple times over the year or so that I've had it. Especially if I'm trying to cook and use the phone at the same time, so it only falls as far as the counter.

Every phone bill we get contains a charge of $2.78 that says "maintenance inside wire" - with all that maintenance ($33 a year) these wires ought to be pretty darn good... ;)

Every phone bill we get contains a charge of $2.78 that says "maintenance inside wire" - with all that maintenance ($33 a year) these wires ought to be pretty darn good...

if thats for the samething its for over here that means if your having issues at your house they come and fix it for free, parts included.....when my buddy was working for the phone company he always told me to call and say i had a problem after 5pm cause then he got payed overtime :D

Back