What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's YOUR job/career

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date
jfoley -

Where are you in Connecticut? I'm in Manchester.

We did some animations and a high resolution backlit illustration for an Amgen pharmaceutical trade show booth many years ago.

Are you going to the NECPS Show this weekend?

how much do you guys get paid? all these career sounds amazing.

compared to some i dont make alot of money, especially compared to those in the metropolitan Northeast or south Cali...between the wife and i we are pulling down well under $100,000 a year though we are doing our best to crawl our way up above that but we have our own house that we have no problem paying the mortgage on, onan hourly basis i get paid way more laying carpet.......however what my job offers is freedom.....got a boss that thinks the opening weekend of any hunting season is a national holiday and long weekends to go fishing or hunting are encouraged.....granted my job also means im working 24/7 so long as im in town, fire or car wreck in the middle of the night and i got to head out and get a picture......my job is becoming a career cause i like doing it.....i like covering school board meetings....i like being paid to spend time behind a camera.....i get kicked out the door every so often, given a full tank of gas, handed a camera and being told to "be creative and bring me back a picture for the front page"........i get paid to cruise the country side looking for things to take a picture of........

however if your running a paper in a bigger city you can make a damn fine living at it.......but the bigger the paper the less fun i think it is cause it becomes an extreamly serious job.......

find something yah like to do and go with it.....a job yah make tons of money at aint worth being miserable every day.......also having worked in a greenhouse i would never choose raising plants for a living......while i love it as a hobby i wouldnt want to do it for money.......somethings yah want to use to reduce stress, not create it.....

Right now I'm getting gigs for Flamenco guitar. But it hardly pays off for all the hours of practice...

Ph.D genetics student living on program stipend

That's exactly what I want to do! I've been looking for advice from others who have chosen to major in genetics.

Maybe I'll pm you... :-O

While I'm interested in anthropology, for example, I have a hard time imagining that I would have been the one chosen for one of that field's rare jobs.

LOL. Thanks for reminding me.

I am an anthropology grad student focusing on Andean Archaeology, specifically the South Coast of Peru (Nasca drainage). I don't think I can really call this making a living though as I am just getting myself into debt.

I work at Hot Topic lol. and while at school, i am a tutor for English, American Studies, Science, and Marine Biology.

I am a surgical technologist and nursing student. I will be a nurse in December!! WOO HOO!! The last year when I worked full time I made around 25K a year. I am part time now so it is much less! After I graduate nursing school I will be making more but I can't tell you what that is right now. I have not gotten a job yet!

how much do you guys get paid?
Let's just say while I'm "comfortable" (not eating dog food yet) I'm not even registering on the tax plans for either Obama or McCain as any show discussing it starts at $33K a year. Even though I'm making the most I've ever made I still don't make that much, so I suppose my taxes will stay the same or depending on who wins maybe I'll pay even less. Not sure if i should put happy or sad face here so I'll do both.... :-( :)

I'm a contract killer. It's pretty cool sometimes. Sometimes it sucks.

Ph.D genetics student living on program stipend

Just got out from under that umbrella and let me tell you it really was worth it. Though I still have a real hard time with people calling me "Doctor" LOL

For the last 7 years, i worked for a company making oil field related classroom training programs(CBTs). everything from programming to 3d animations while also playing the network administrator role. i made horrible money(<$40k while working ~14 hours a day 7 days a week) but i was young and too dumb to know any better and eventually quit. now i work for myself as a network admin for a couple of companies, best part being i make my own schedule and avg about 10 hours/wk.

Just got out from under that umbrella and let me tell you it really was worth it. Though I still have a real hard time with people calling me "Doctor" LOL

What's up, Doc?

My inner wascawy wabbit got the better of me ;)

I'm a procrastinator. I'll edit this post later and tell you more.

I warp the minds of our future.... I teach high school government and economics.

Yes, I have been getting a lot of that recently as well LOL

I think it goes with the territory kind of like having your shirt tails cut off after you solo. At least you're not one of those stuffed shirts that insist on being called "Doctor" :-D

I'm the Director of Housing at the home campus of a small private university. One reason I was more scarce (and still am sometimes) is because I just opened an 18 million dollar residence hall.

CopleyBuilding1.jpg

xvart.

Quite the varied background we've got here!

I'm surprised we haven't had a single botanist yet. I thought we'd have at least one. It's always been an interest of mine, well before I discovered CP's.

Cool to see so many 'science' types. To this day, I regret not entering the science field. Congrats to you Phd's - spectacular accomplishment!

And you artists - you've got my respect. Art was my first love all through school, and it's what I always saw myself doing for a living. I did AP art all through high school, and did a couple semesters in college as a fine arts major, but decided to give it up for a 'lucrative' career/major. Haha - well that didn't work out too well, and I've only got school debt to show for that decision.

So yeah - I debate going back to college since my career is now in the crapper, and have it 'narrowed' down to:

Botany
Fine Arts or Commercial Arts
Meteorology/Climatology
Geographic Information Systems/Geographer

I have about equal interests in all. Life is too short.

Back