What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's YOUR job/career

• Thread starter upper
  • Start date
I'm a community college student looking to transfer to either Cal Poly San Luis Obispo or UC Berkeley to major in electrical engineering. I'm also procrastinating on my electricity and magnetism homework at the moment...

Computer Addict. Fun job. :3

Selling junk on ebay :D More of a temporary job thing.

Selling junk on ebay :D More of a temporary job thing.
That's the best/easiest job! Finding stuff posting it on ebay and collecting big $! I sold a $20 antique tattoo gun from a flea market for $800 once (my biggest sale for least investment). What sux is when it doesn't sell and you gotta foot the listing fee.

I've been selling a lot of stuff, but for some reason nobody bought or even watched the gamecube.

I'm an internal investigator for one of America's great banks. It's a decent gig, but I find that most people that work for this company aren't quick to become friends... wonder why

My job is lame, I wish I could quit. It's sophomore in high school. LOL It pays $0 in cash, but my parents give me $10 every weekend. :)
Ditto on 100% of that, except I sort of like my school.
Right now I could imagine being a biologist, musician, composer, political analyst, Latin scholar/teacher, chemist. I'm not good at all of those things but I like them all alright. I know I'll probably never do anything with pure math or medicine.

Ph.D genetics student living on program stipend

Computer game maker. Been doing it for 16 years professionally. Titles I've worked on include (chronologically listed):

- Quarterback Club Football (Gameboy, Game Gear)
- Justice League Task Force (Sega Genesis)
- Diablo
- Diablo II
- Diablo II - Lord of Destruction
- Mythos
- Current unannounced project

I never intended to go into the game biz, but was working for a company shortly after college that got a contract to do some game art (for a game for the Atari Lynx, for those of you older gamers), and knew within a week that this would be my career. Sixteen years later, I'm still at it.

Capslock

Freelance graphic designer for the trade show industry. I've been freelancing since my first was born, 15 years now.

freelance bass player. I'm contracted with several regional orchestras plus whatever I can pick up elsewhere. Electric bass, upright bass, orchestras, theater companies, churches...whatever they're willing to pay for. It can get hectic during orchestra season, but late dec through jan and most of the summer is DEAD so I try to pick up other stuff then. It is not always steady, reliable work but there is nothing like sitting in the middle of all of that music at the moment of its creation and just having it engulf you. I've been lucky enough to be keeping pretty busy at it and getting a standing ovation at the end of the "work day" is a nice touch too! In the office, you're lucky to get a "nice work" let alone any shouts of "bravo"! The driving can get to be a bit though but the worst is tax time with many employers in multiple states.

how much do you guys get paid? all these career sounds amazing.

I teach Math and Science to 6th graders. :D

how much do you guys get paid? all these career sounds amazing.

Then pick the one that is the MOST amazing for you and go for it. To some, the bank account justifies the work. For others, the work justifies life and the money is secondary. It really depends on where you're coming from and your reasons. Neither is right or wrong...usually.

I've known people that teach music lessons for the extra cash and nothing more than that. That, I feel is wrong. I've known people for whom teaching was an unstoppable calling and their passion for it was unquestionable. Teaching is one of the exceptions to the "neither is right or wrong" rule. Av8tor1 has it just right-"the money sux but I love it".

"If you're going to sweep the floor, sweep it better than anybody in town. And if you're going to play the guitar, really, really, really get in it, and don't be jivin'."
-Carlos Santana

I've been selling a lot of stuff, but for some reason nobody bought or even watched the gamecube.

In a few years I might be interested - gamecubes are my love, and even though I have two I want more. Back-up plans, maybe?

I'd be happy doing any of a thousand different things and one is being an environmental analyst doing water resources planning. Luckily, that's what I began doing three months ago. But it took years of being trapped in a less interesting (to me) environmental field before I scored this transfer. I guess it wasn't too bad before, since I stuck with it so long, but I'm much happier now.

When I was in high school, I wanted to be a nuclear engineer in the Navy. Since then, I've seriously considered about 589 different career options. I don't know what to think about people who haven't. That said, some of those career ideas would have left me fighting a lot of people for a few jobs. While I'm interested in anthropology, for example, I have a hard time imagining that I would have been the one chosen for one of that field's rare jobs. So I'm glad I went with something that not only interests me but also provides opportunities. Both matter.

I'm an Operations Manager for a large waterpark. You do what you love, and it's not always about the money. Plus that's kind of a rude question to ask. You just have to find the job that is right for you. I put in close to 70 hours a week during our summer season, and salaried...so you definitely do things because you love it!

Back