What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legal importation of seeds into the USA

What a great thread. I have actually tried numerous times on working with the USDA on small seed lots being exported for the NASC Seed Bank. I think with this information and routing for contacts I may have better luck on working with exports as time allows.

Furthermore, I think with some more discussion, investigation, and confirmation of the process this would warrant a definite sticky in the trading forum. That being said, please continue to post and anyone else with specific knowledge can throw that in, and we all can clean it up for a nice easy reference. With the proper knowledge we can do a better job on sharing plants legally with other countries and expand the camaraderie even further.

Thanks for the great work so far, everyone.

xvart.

Completed my first PPQ Form 587, Application for Permit to Import Plants or Plant Products.” last night, woohoo

The form is rather short about one page or so... pretty basic. Couple areas that are a little cloudy is "what inspection station" do I want to use. It list a bunch and then at the bottom of the list it also includes something along the lines of "various stations which have inspection capabilities" (going by memory)

I didnt know which one to use, so I chose Atlanta, Ga.

There was also a yes/no check box about some acronym, no explanation what it was.. it was defaulted to "no" so that is how I left it

Ill get back in the system this weekend and verify what the acronym was and also the "various stations" verbage

My 587 was accepted and I'm waiting on approval :)

Downloadable PPQ 587 with some instructions

(the USDA APHIS e-authorization version is different, but simular)

Av

Well I can vouch for the Atl station :)

They will probably just clear you for all inspection stations on the Eastern seaboard, that is what ended up happening with mine.

Also, you may need to look into PPQ 621. You may need it for seed of CITES seeds. And it'll cost you $70 for that one.

I figured if I had issues with the Atlanta station, I would just call you ;)
and I'm going to avoid any CITES issues at this point LOL

they will have to be some pretty special seed for me to do that... very special, but I can think of a few :)

sooooooooo how long is the approval process now that my 587 is submitted?

Been a few years since I did my 587 but it was pretty quick. And I went the paper route. I think it took a month for it to get to me. My 621 took a little longer, hopefully my reapplication that I just sent in will not take as long since they have me in the system already...

I got the 587 papers within two weeks using the APHIS online system. I ordered one small batch of seed from the UK. It should be hitting the Hawthorne, CA inspection station any day now. Unfortunately I didn't think of how to get it from Hawthorne. Hopefully they'll send me an e-mail so I can pick it up. It's not a bad drive from where I live. I'll keep you posted on whether or not they trash the seeds.

You have to get a separate permit to order seed from Canada.

I hope this process isn't too painful because there are so many seeds I'd like to get. There's lots of great stuff out there!

Laura

The system does work. I've received a couple batches of seeds from the UK.

Interesting thread. I went through the 'process' a year ago (or so). In standard government fashion, there were a few steps that I had to read a number of times. Thankfully I did finally get it done. My local office was a bit unsure on the steps but they did get through it...

One of my current difficulties lies now with the folks on the other end. While the steps are not all that complex & I send them everything they need & an explanation of what to do, if they have zero ability to understand the english language - things get more complicated.

For those thinking it is unnecessary, you are playing roulette with your seeds. Before I got my permit, I had a batch of uncommon seed confiscated / destroyed.

Just got a call from my friendly local USDA office. They have my seeds. They're releasing them much quicker than I thought they would.

The only problem was that the sender didn't include all the paperwork, but they're going to let me fax it over since I have the originals. They told me I could arrange shipping or come pick them up.

Laura

How ironic. I have the small seed permit, but I tried this online process to get the 621.
I got stuck when the map to find the local USDA authority keeps saying "Timed Out."
Seems like I wasted a week and it may have been quicker to do by snail mail.

well its been about a week and I have approval, pretty painless after all :)
too bad the seed I had in mind went for about 3x what I was willing to give LOL

errr ahhh guessing they mail the 508 labels to me?

PERMIT CONDITIONS
This permit authorizes the importation of the listed articles, under the conditions specified below. A copy of this
permit (including all conditions) must accompany all shipments authorized under this permit. Upon arrival in the
United States, the articles and shipping container(s) are subject to inspection by officials of Customs and Border
Protection, Agriculture Inspection (CBP-AI) and Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ).
1. This permit authorizes small lots of seed, only of taxa that are generally admissible under current 7 CFR 319.37
regulations, to be imported without a phytosanitary certificate, under all of the following conditions.
2. Seed shipments must be accompanied by a "Green and Yellow" permit label (PPQ Form 508), identified by a
stamped permit number and the expiration date. All unused permit labels will become void and are not to be used
after the expiration date of this permit. Green and yellow permit labels must be attached to the outside of the
shipping container, clearly visible and unobstructed by other shipping labels. The green and yellow labels will be
forwarded by U.S. Postal Service.
3. A copy of this permit shall accompany each shipment.
4. Seed shipments must enter the United States through a USDA Plant Inspection Station.
5. The seeds must be securely packaged in packets or envelopes and sealed to prevent spillage. Clear plastic
re-sealable bags are highly recommended.
6. A typed or legibly printed seed list/invoice must accompany each shipment with the name of the collector/shipper,
the botanical names (at least to genus, preferably to species level) listed alphabetically, as well as the country of
origin and country shipped from for each taxon. Each seed packet must be clearly labeled with the name of the
collector/shipper, the country of origin, and the scientific name at least to the genus, and preferably to the species,
level. The invoice/seed list may provide a code for each lot, which may be used on the seed packets in lieu of the full
list of required information. In this case, each packet must at least include the appropriate code referenced to the seed
list/invoice, and the botanical name used on the seed list/invoice.
7. Each packet must be limited to a maximum of 50 seeds of 1 taxon (taxonomic category such as genus, species,
cultivar, etc.) per packet; or a maximum weight not to exceed 10 grams of seed of 1 taxon, per packet.
8. Each shipment must contain no more than 50 seed packets.
9. The seeds must be free from pesticides.
10. The shipment must be free from soil, plant material other than seed, other foreign matter or debris, seeds in the
fruit or seed pod, and living organisms such as parasitic plants, pathogens, insects, snails, and mites.
11. USDA, APHIS, PPQ has the option, based on its inspection, to destroy or seize individual seed packets or the
contents of shipments. This will be done if inspection station personnel find that the imported seeds require
treatment, are contaminated with a quarantine plant pest or pests, are labeled improperly, are commingled with other
seeds (i.e. not separated from other seeds), are over the weight/count limit, or if the paperwork is incomplete or
missing. Noncompliant seed will not be returned to origin or treated.

I got a small lots of seeds permit. It has been approved through Epermit. Now how do I use it?

Wait for them to send you the labels and paperwork and follow the instructions on them

Renewal question please

Well I need to renew my permit later this year.... I used the USDA search feature but didnt really see the answer...

Do you have to start from square one or is there a seperate renewal process?

or if maybe they will send something etc....

anyone been down this road care to chime in please

From what I'm reading you can perhaps renew from your ePermits account:
I suspect that this is true. When I applied for my plant permit, everything was done over the web.

I suspect that this is true. When I applied for my plant permit, everything was done over the web.

Mine is up for renewal in July, so I will be going down this trail real soon.

The FAQ say to allow 30 days for changes or renewals - i.e. renew 30 days before the expiration date.

Back