Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The terraforums Post Presidential debate post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    McCain said he suspended his campaignto because it was secondary to fixing the financial crisis. Some people said it was just grandstanding, but McCain denied it. He participated in the presidential debate because he said that Congress was close to a solution. Apparently, however, he didn't have enough influence to shape the bill so it would be satisfactory to a majority in the House. For the sake of consistency, McCain should once again suspend his campaign and decline to participate in any more debates until he gets Congress to pass a bill. That would show that he wasn't just grandstanding. John McCain appeared in a political rally today in Ohio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually from what i can see Pelosi did her best to tank the bill......have to find it hard to believe she is that stupid to grandstand and try and lay all the blaim on Bush just before the vote......especially when this mess needs to be dropped on Slick Willy's feet if your going to do it to any one individual.....seems bout half the ppl who were going to vote for it decided not to AFTER listening to Pelosi...
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
    actually from what i can see Pelosi did her best to tank the bill......have to find it hard to believe she is that stupid to grandstand and try and lay all the blaim on Bush just before the vote......especially when this mess needs to be dropped on Slick Willy's feet if your going to do it to any one individual.....seems bout half the ppl who were going to vote for it decided not to AFTER listening to Pelosi...
    Yeah, I don't understand why she would give such a speech. I think she was just trying to score some political points by getting a bill passed and placing some blame at the same time. Although, I don't understand why people would switch votes because of something like that...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, how is it that a Pelosi speech would impact votes? She puts blame on Bush because it's his fault, and the fault of the relentless deregulation pushed by his party and people like Phil Gramm. It's important that we all understand that we didn't just randomly show up on the brink of economic destruction, but that it's the result of failed policy and ideology for the last 8 years. That fact notwithstanding, what kind of representative would change their vote at the last second in response to a speech that Pelosi makes? That doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like any of them are unfamiliar with her position. Believe me, her constituency at home is raking her over the coals on a daily basis for being way too accommodating to the Republicans.

Hell, Pelosi voted FOR the bill! It was a coalition of representatives from both sides of the isle for whom this crazy bill didn't pass the smell test. Giving hundreds of billions of dollars to make whole the very criminals who gambled away the money they were entrusted with - your money and mine - simply doesn't strike many of them as good policy. The public hated this bailout scheme. They've been burned by the Bush fear-mongering too many times, and they know this hasty, panicked action isn't right. Today was a victory for our form of government, and even if it throws the market into turmoil for a short time, it will hopefully have the effect of restoring some sanity and self-reflection into the banking and investment industries. So if Pelosi inadvertently tanked the bill, good for her! But she didn't. She supported the bill.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caps just going by quotes by the reps.......seen a half dozen that said they switched cause of Pelosi's speech........dont make much sense to me could be they were just looking for a place to hang their no vote on..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (edit..moved reply to other thread)
    Scot

(why cant we just delete posts outright?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much my take, Max. Obama has more charisma, and I think McCain has more experience. I think the VP Debate will go a long way towards sawaying some decisions. I saw a bit of Couric interviewing Palin, and Palin did not do very good at rolling with the punches.

Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    Debate wise it was largely a tie. No major blunders from either one, and no home-runs either. It did show that Obama is a more attractive and charismatic person, though. Some of McCain's mugging and grimacing was painful to watch. But as far as content, neither one took a chance nor truly embarrassed themselves.

The polls are showing a moderate Obama victory, which is probably accurate, but it's not the sort of performance that's going to change the race in any way. I certainly hope nobody would change their vote solely on the basis of a debate like that, anyway. I thought the moderation was poor - why do they keep trotting out the strangely embalmed looking Lehrer? Does he have dead, inky black shark eyes? Like you're looking into infinite polls of emptiness? *shudder* Just creeps me out.

The VP debate will hopefully provoke more hilarity.

Capslock
    Last edited by The Griffin; 09-30-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: not paying attention

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234