What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Torn quad

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
Well, I went to a doctor to have my leg checked out before my soccer game this Saturday. He said I partially tore my quadricep muscle. He said recovery is between 2-6 weeks. He put me in a leg immobilizer which keeps my knee from bending or doing anything, so I am hobbling around everywhere with this thing on. Hopefully it heals quickly so I won't miss too many soccer games!

I have a friend who broke his leg just below the knee, he's been on crutches for a few weeks... feel sorry for both of you!

Ouch, sorry to hear that :( That must suck not beaing able to bend...I bet it'll feel great when you takr it off xD

Yeah, this thing on my leg is pretty bad. It makes my leg itch some, it won't let me knee bend, it feels like one of those blood pressure cuffs, is large and bulky, and I have to wear it for 2 weeks minimum, except at night. :banana2:

At least I didn't break my leg, I would be out a lot longer if that had happend.

Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery! :grin:

Thanks everyone. Now the hard part is gonna be walking to the area where my outdoor cp are, 50 yards away and 5 steps to go down with a leg brace that won't let me bend my knee. My dog is gonna think I am an alien or something with this thing on, :-)) It scared my cat half to death when she saw it, she turned around and ran away.???

Sorry to hear about your leg! Hope you get better soon! Just don't hurt yourself even more by falling down the stairs going to see your plants! Aww your poor kitty, lol!

Sorry to hear about your leg! Hope you get better soon! Just don't hurt yourself even more by falling down the stairs going to see your plants! Aww your poor kitty, lol!

Yeah, I will probably go out there, trip and fall and hit my head and then have a head injury :headwall: I will sacrifice for my cp though, my neighbors will probably be like what happend to him, lol. I am looking forward to getting this thing off in 2 weeks, althought by then my quadricep will have muscle atrophy and I will have to condition it again to get it back to full strength.

the leg immobilizer is the worst!! I lost a few plants this summer because of that stupid thing...couldn't carry plants to the sink to water them while I was on crutches!

take it easy going back into soccer. the last thing you want is to re-injure yourself! having your leg immobilized will really weaken your muscles. take your time and make sure you're strong before returning. you're lucky that you're only sidelined for a few weeks...8 months total before I will get back to playing ultimate after my acl tear. blah.

stairs: up with the good, down with the bad.

I promise, it does get better!

the leg immobilizer is the worst!! I lost a few plants this summer because of that stupid thing...couldn't carry plants to the sink to water them while I was on crutches!

take it easy going back into soccer. the last thing you want is to re-injure yourself! having your leg immobilized will really weaken your muscles. take your time and make sure you're strong before returning. you're lucky that you're only sidelined for a few weeks...8 months total before I will get back to playing ultimate after my acl tear. blah.

stairs: up with the good, down with the bad.

I promise, it does get better!

The muscle atrophy is gonna be the hard part. It is going to be hard to restrengthen my right leg while not reinjuring it again. I am definately gonna take it easy. I can't imagine this thing for 8 weeks!

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can sympathize. A couple of weeks ago I fell in my kitchen (landing on and shattering an empty plant tank) and broke a rib. I couldn't do much of anything for 2 weeks. It was excrutiating. I was told 5-6 weeks to heal. It still hurts but not like it did.

So I know how frustrating something like that is. I hope you feel better soon but don't push yourself until you are ready. You gotta let it heal properbly. Best wishes!

I'm really sorry to hear that. I can sympathize. A couple of weeks ago I fell in my kitchen (landing on and shattering an empty plant tank) and broke a rib. I couldn't do much of anything for 2 weeks. It was excrutiating. I was told 5-6 weeks to heal. It still hurts but not like it did.

So I know how frustrating something like that is. I hope you feel better soon but don't push yourself until you are ready. You gotta let it heal properbly. Best wishes!

Wow, I can't imagine that! I bet that was really painful, much worse than what I have. Did you have to wear an immobilizer too?

Like you said, the biggest thing I am concerned with is pulling it again after 2 weeks. I hope everything goes well.

No, the doctor said he didn't like to tape ribs because it restricts your breathing and can cause pneumonia.

I have to admit the pain was far worse than I expected. Particularly driving. I'd yell out in the car it hurt so bad to turn the steering wheel. But finally I have passed the hump. I'm still aware of it but I'm not yelling. :)

How the leg? It was really frustrating not to be able to do things I needed to do. So I'm sure you are having the same issues.

have had 3 knee surgeries.....each time afterward i had my knee wrapped up tight enough i couldnt bend it till i could remove the bandages 3 days or do later.......worst part was after the last one, i would be laying on the couch drugged up, one of the girls would let the dog in the back door and all 20 pounds of her would come running full blast jump up and while she was in mid air all i could think of was there aint a damn thing i can do.......if i jerk my knee out of the way its going to hurt like hell......if i let her land its going to hurt like hell.....was a lose-lose situation..........

No, the doctor said he didn't like to tape ribs because it restricts your breathing and can cause pneumonia.

I have to admit the pain was far worse than I expected. Particularly driving. I'd yell out in the car it hurt so bad to turn the steering wheel. But finally I have passed the hump. I'm still aware of it but I'm not yelling. :)

How the leg? It was really frustrating not to be able to do things I needed to do. So I'm sure you are having the same issues.

have had 3 knee surgeries.....each time afterward i had my knee wrapped up tight enough i couldnt bend it till i could remove the bandages 3 days or do later.......worst part was after the last one, i would be laying on the couch drugged up, one of the girls would let the dog in the back door and all 20 pounds of her would come running full blast jump up and while she was in mid air all i could think of was there aint a damn thing i can do.......if i jerk my knee out of the way its going to hurt like hell......if i let her land its going to hurt like hell.....was a lose-lose situation..........

Wow Pak, I didn't know that taping the ribs could cause pneumonia... I can imagine how hard driving and stuff was. Here is how I hurt/tore my quadricep:

About 2 weeks ago we were having soccer practice and we were kicking balls at the goal. I went and kicked on and my foot planted before getting to the ball, causing my foot to instantly stop while all the momentum continued in the upper part of my leg. I noticed the pain immediately but it quickly subsided so I didn't think anything of it, even though that week I had slight twinges of pain when walking. A week later in our game I kicked the ball again and this time did the bad damage. I was limping the rest of the week, my quadricep swelled up REALLY large, and hurt alot. It subsided a few days later, but I went to the doctor a few days later and the rest is history. I now know how stupid I was by not letting anyone know about the pain as it was a warning sign to rest my leg, but I didnt' and paid the price through a torn quad. The hardest part is getting in a vehicle, using the bathroom, and walking with the leg immobilizer. It keeps your knee from bending, so walking you have to walk peg-legged like a pirate would.

Rattler, I bet you were dreading the sight of your dog during those 3 days, weren't you?

Back