What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA Today article on Venus Flytraps (New)

Raising awareness! :boogie: But those poor plants... :-(

I was at my dad's house one day and we were watching the 5pm news and some guy who won a gardening challenge in the city was being interviewed. He was showing his garden and describing how he and his wife "go up north to the Boundary Waters area and collect a plant or two to remember the yearly trip by." (the BW is a protected area requiring permits to enter). After he said that the camera pans across a whole row of Queen Lady Slipper Orchids (Cyp. reginae the MN state flower). Well we had a lively discussion after that and forgot all about the rest of the news! By the time the local news was being repeated at 6 we had the VCR setup to record that bit of illegal (poached) gardening but someone must have called the station on this because the repeat of the story was edited of the "we collect plants" and the shot of the Lady Slippers which we both heard / saw on the original broadcast.

What a shame. That is not a good thing.

It's so disheartening.

I'm glad we have Ozzy near the Green Swamp...he does what he can to raise awareness about the plight of the NC jewels of CPs.

I think that article should have published the name of the man who was poaching all those plants. At least there could have been some public embarrassment.

Back