What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who here wants it to be winter?

Pfft, you guys should see the winters I have here in Antarctica ;)

Just saw our forecast for this week, and they are calling for a low of 30 by Sat. night. Looks like my outside minibogs are going to get thier first freeze! Amazing how quick the weather changes this time of year. We were near 90 last week!

I want winter to get here, but winter is a loose term here. Highs in the upper 50's to low 60's even in Jan/Feb.

I don't do snow anymore. :D

Winter's my favorite 2nd favorite season after summer. I mean you get snowdays, plus skiing, hot choclate, my birthday, Christmas (we aren't christian but my family celebrates it any where, because agnosticism is boring without holidiays), and of course clemintines. Altogether a great part of the year.:-))

Plant wise, winter is the best because my Nepenthes are easy to cool at night, easy to heat up at day.

Those are gorgeous pictures! I miss that :-( Some people here in FL start wearing fur coats (I'm not kidding) when its down to 65, I think they're nuts! I get funny looks when I'm outside in shorts and t-shirt when it's in the 60's. Wussies!

Those are gorgeous pictures! I miss that :-( Some people here in FL start wearing fur coats (I'm not kidding) when its down to 65, I think they're nuts! I get funny looks when I'm outside in shorts and t-shirt when it's in the 60's. Wussies!

exactly, especially for me since i like cold weather, it goes down to 50's here i wear shorts and my mom freaks out.

I like fall the best, but winter is okay... at least in the beginning as jimscott and scotty mentioned. But it's way to long... snow for at least 4 months, and a couple years ago it was sleeting in the middle of april! Fall in New England is the best, with the trees coloring up. Here's a pic I took in our front yard.
DSCF1532.jpg

I don't want another winter like last years. I had to thaw out three frozen sewer lines. That wouldn't have been near so bad if people who new about the problem would have called them in before 6:30 and on the day they froze. Had one that had been backing up and running down a guys drive for a couple days before his neighbor on the next street over noticed and called it in. Yeah, ain't nothing like standing over a manhole for six hours in the dark and wind on a nice cold winters night running a jetter full of cold water that you're praying doesn't freeze up on you before the line is open to make you really appreciate winter.
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif
icon13.gif

Oh, yippee for winter. :censor:

0-los-angeles_master.jpg

that's my winter... and spring... and summer... and fall...

exactly, especially for me since i like cold weather, it goes down to 50's here i wear shorts and my mom freaks out.
50's ain't cold that's T-shirts and shorts weather!

Man I looked out on the porch this morning and I saw - frost! That probably did in the D. binatas out there and the stray capensises but hopefully not the pygmy sundews.

I knew frost was coming last night, but I didnt bother to do anything with any of my plants..I let them get frosted, on purpose..its good for them..(VFTs and Sarrs)

The D. binata should be able to take it just fine..
but I did forget I have a D. capensis pot outside! :crap:
they might not be so happy with the frost..
the capensis is my only "tender" CP at the moment..
I completely forgot about it!

When I left for work this morning, there was a nice frost on everything..
its the "killing frost" that will wipe out the Tomatos and other veggies..
all the pumpkin leaves had "melted" away to nothing overnight..
but im not worried about the CPs at all..
It was probably just a frost on the leaves, there wont actually be a solid freeze down into the media or any frozen roots..I doubt it fell below 30 degrees..
no problem for the VFTs and sarrs..and probably fine for the binata..
I will check the binata and capensis when I get home..see how they look!

Scot

A few years ago it snowed in May in Vancouver,BC. MAY! That was nuts, lol. I agree, 50's is shorts and tshirt weather :-D

Haha, upper, that's what we look like here in FL all the time, but of course without the Hollywood sign
;)

so long as the soil in the pot didnt get cold enough to kill the roots it should pop back.....ive found the leaves to be fairly sensitive to cold but those roots are tough mo'fos.....the binata should be fine other than maybe loosing the current leaves

50's ain't cold that's T-shirts and shorts weather!

lol one of my buddies went to college over in Bozeman up in the mountains.......said you could always tell the Montana and Wyoming girls....they would start sun bathing on the south laws in the spring as soon as the snow melted off the grass, temperatures be damned :D course if its 40 degrees and your laying in the sun and there is no wind its actually quite comfortable

LOL! Sheridan gets "dry" cold! Western NY gets "wet" cold!

Not sure about Rochester Metro, but Lake Erie is SW of the City of Buffalo and thus moderates Downtown and the Westside. On a clear day / night there could be a good 10 degree difference between what is along the prevailing wind, at the shore, and the rest of the region. For example, I left work at midnight, in Grand Island, and it was 38 F. By the time I was Downtown, it was 46 F. In East Aurora it was 36 F.

Lake Ontario is north of the City, so that SW wind may not do to Rochester what it does to Buffalo. I know you do get lake effect, though,... just with a different wind direction.

Jim,
I think Rochester & Buffalo get about the same effects from their respective lakes..no major differences..

Last night there was no frost within 5 miles or so of the Lake Ontario shore..because the Lake keeps it warm..

the lake keeps the shoreline warmer in the fall and cooler in the spring..

the only differences between Rochester & Buffalo is probably Buffalo gets more Lake Effect snow off of Erie than we get off of Ontario, but Rochester still gets a fair amount of lake effect off of Ontatrio every year..
the "lake effect season" began last week with quite a bit of lake effect rain..

We somwtimes get lake effect snow off of Ontario AND Erie at the same time!
if its a particularily long Lake Erie plume..

Scot

Definitely ready for cooler temps! (and snow!)

We are suppose to get snow with lows of 20 this weekend...but today its 70 and sunny! Im waiting for the last minute to bring in the plants outside...Im assuming I will need to bring in all my CPs? (ive got my VFTs and sarrs outside)

WOOHOO! FALL!

The plants I was concerned about are fine. But the Devil's Claw plants all withered. They're done. At least I got seeds from two fruit.

Scot: What is it like just NE of Lake Ontario? Is it considerably worse lake effect?

Back