What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parents, please don't do this!

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Ugh, so I came home with my FIRST progress report from my high school. I got 6 A's and 1 B in my 7 classes. I am taking an honors science class (not the B) and showed it to my parents. They read my grades put it down picked up my brother's and spent the next half hour yelling at him and all his C's and D's, and congratulated him on his 1 A. Then my parents had the nerve to yell at ME about my 85 and never said a word about my other 6 A's!!!!! :censor: What makes my A's worthless!

Sorry about the rant...

i dont yell at the girls bout their grades but if Kate gets a "C" she gets yanked from sports with very few exceptions....."D's" mean they are grounded and the house, school and church are the only places they get to go........yelling aint going to accomplish much, taking away the stuff they want to do does.........

...REALLY? Geez...I got 6 As and 1 B (79.6 LOL, last time I checked, it was an 83.6) and my parents still accepted the 79.6. Dude, that sucks, I feel sorry for you :(

i dont yell at the girls bout their grades but if Kate gets a "C" she gets yanked from sports with very few exceptions....."D's" mean they are grounded and the house, school and church are the only places they get to go........yelling aint going to accomplish much, taking away the stuff they want to do does.........

I disagree.

What if they're trying their best in the class they're getting Ds in and just don't understand it? Are you telling them to do more than they can if they don't get it? ???

I sense a debate coming on :O

let me guess your a kid? as to why i do it....i know all the girl's teachers fairly well, i know the girls are offered ample time to get help and the subjects they do have some issues on are math and science, two subjects their mom and i are very good at......the only way they get low grades is cause they did not put forth the effort to seek out help.....i dont tweak if they fail a test here or a quiz there.....**** happens.......i pay attention to their quarter grades and not the progress reports every couple weeks......was paying attention to progress reports on Kate alot closer till when i tracked down the problem 3 out of 4 times it was something the teacher did wrong such as not grading a paper that was turned in.....had one teacher sit and tell me Kate hadnt turned something in and when she went to show me the folder of corrected work Kate's paper was in there, ungraded cause the teacher missed it.......

the girls arent in a huge school and getting lost in the crowd....Jess is in a rural school district and there are about 15 kids in her grade, Kate is in town and is one of about 80 kids in her grade.....if she is having problems witha subject its easy to get one on one time with a teacher........and if she wants me to take her sports seriously she needs to take her school work seriously

um, my brothers had a teacher that lost my brothers work. My mom had to go in and talk to her an say that he did the work and handed it in but the teacher wouldn't let him reprint it!

Ant, I think you did great.

Sometimes as a parent we get so busy with trying to set right things that are not working the kid that excels doesn't hear they do a great job often enough.

Believe me, your parents know. That doesn't excuse them, but they are really happy about your grades.

Hey, a high school student in honors science, excellent grades, and an interesting hobby…you have to be an easy kid to have around the house.

Go treat yourself to something, you deserve it.

Even if your parents don't appreciate your grades, you should congratulate yourself because As and Bs mean you are doing above average and excellent work. And you're doing an honor's class which you got an A in.

You're doing a good job, even if your parents don't think so.

A few years ago, I took a geography test in my history class. We had to name all 50 states. I was the only kid in class who named all 50 states. I was really proud and showed my dad, who said I was pathetic for not spelling "massachusetts" correctly, despite me being the only kid in class who knew it was a state.

They got the same question wrong AND it was my state!?! The SECOND successful British colony in North America!

I disagree.

What if they're trying their best in the class they're getting Ds in and just don't understand it? Are you telling them to do more than they can if they don't get it? ???
In my school you pretty much have to want to fail in order to fail...you can pass any class with a 60. Most schools have programs to help when you need it so only people who really don't care about education fail (Uggh! I'm 15, I should be hating school! I sound like such a nerd).
My parents have never been into grounding. If they were I would probably be a lot more disagreeable with them now, so I think we both agree that it was a good decision.

Ahmed, don't mess with Massachusetts!:censor:

grounding works for the girls........cause they want to do stuff and i dont budge when i ground them....Kate knows all she has to do is get good grades and do her chores and ill give her about as much freedom to run as she wants.....but if she aint going to do that she aint going to run......i give her a decent length leash, if she chooses to hang herself with it thats her decision....she tried to threaten me once saying she COULD be much worse.....i just looked her in the eye and said so COULD i.....and thatwas the end of it....

um, one bad grade and you ground them? That leash is choking them. Do you know how stressful that would be if they had a huge project? it is stressful enough for me even if I wouldn't be grounded.

one bad grade on their quarterly report card.....not one flunked test, not one flunked quiz.......both girls are smart neither of them are taking calculus yet.....the wife and i got through this school system with one grade on a quarter report card being lower than a C and neither of us were the valedictorian, book worm type....both of us were serious partiers yet in 24 report cards, and between us out of 179 quarter end class grades i had 1 D and my wife had all A's but 1 B and she took a precalc class over the summer so she could take a calc class her senior year, i skipped pre calc and went straight to calc......if the girl's mother and i can do it, be partying every weekend, working more or less full time hours on top of it cause we didnt do sports......well lets say my sympathy is low when we help them EVERY time they ask cause they dont understand something.....this crap aint rocket science

I am talking D, not and F. A D is a passing grade and not being able to play sports is a bad enough punishment already. You can't compare your grades to your kids to, different teachers, different classes, and different books. I also don't believe anyone got only 1 B in their ENTIRE high school years. 1 bad grade isn't going to hurt anyone.

I consider a D a bad grade, even if you can still pass o_O

I also don't believe anyone got only 1 B in their ENTIRE high school years.

dude can i have some of what your smoking? had 7 do ALL A's in my graduating class of 62 and one do all A's and 1 B.....most of them while taking college prep classes that were actually harder than freshman year of college.....

a D aint passing.......a D is barely better than flipping a coin to decide your answers.......and i can compare them to me and their mom.....both girls are quite smart.....they have every opportunity to get help if they need it......to get a D means they CHOSE not to get help....if they are going to make that kinda choice they dont need to be out running with friends....BTW neither of them have been grounded because of grades yet.......

huh? then how did the "I can be much worse" thing happen? I aint talking averages, I mean grades per quiz.

Back