What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thought you were "registered to vote" think again...

Missouri officials suspect fake voter registration

<!-- End Story Title --> <!-- Story subtitles --> Wednesday, October 8, 2008 9:12 PM EDT
The Associated Press
By BILL DRAPER Associated Press Writer

<!-- End Story subtitles --> <!-- Story Body --> <!--startclickprintinclude--> KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Officials in Missouri, a hard-fought jewel in the presidential race, are sifting through possibly hundreds of questionable or duplicate voter-registration forms submitted by an advocacy group that has been accused of election fraud in other states.
Charlene Davis, co-director of the election board in Jackson County, where Kansas City is, said the fraudulent registration forms came from the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN. She said they were bogging down work Wednesday, the final day Missourians could register to vote.
"I don't even know the entire scope of it because registrations are coming in so heavy," Davis said. "We have identified about 100 duplicates, and probably 280 addresses that don't exist, people who have driver's license numbers that won't verify or Social Security numbers that won't verify. Some have no address at all."
The nonpartisan group works to recruit low-income voters, who tend to lean Democratic. Polls show Republican presidential candidate John McCain with an edge in bellwether Missouri, but Democrat Barack Obama continues to put up a strong fight.
Jess Ordower, Midwest director of ACORN, said his group hasn't done any registrations in Kansas City since late August. He said he was told three weeks ago by election officials that there were only about 135 questionable cards — 85 of them duplicates.
"They keep telling different people different things," he said. "They gave us a list of 130, then told someone else it was 1,000."
FBI spokeswoman Bridget Patton said the agency has been in contact with elections officials about potential voter fraud and plans to investigate.
"It's a matter we take very seriously," Patton said. "It is against the law to register someone to vote who does not fall within the parameters to vote, or to put someone on there falsely."
On Tuesday, authorities in Nevada seized records from ACORN after finding fraudulent registration forms that included the starting lineup of the Dallas Cowboys.
In April, eight ACORN workers in St. Louis city and county pleaded guilty to federal election fraud for submitting false registration cards for the 2006 election. U.S. Attorney Catherine Hanaway said they submitted cards with false addresses and names, and forged signatures.
Ordower said Wednesday that ACORN registered about 53,500 people in Missouri this year. He believes his group is being targeted because some politicians don't want that many low-income people having a voice.
"It's par for the course," he said. "When you're doing more registrations than anyone else in the country, some don't want low-income people being empowered to vote. There are pretty targeted attacks on us, but we're proud to be out there doing the patriotic thing getting people registered to vote."
Republicans are among ACORN's loudest critics. At a campaign stop in Bethlehem, Pa., supporters of John McCain interrupted his remarks Wednesday by shouting, "No more ACORN."
According to its national Web site, the group has registered 1.3 million people nationwide for the Nov. 4 election. It also has encountered complaints of fraud stemming from registration efforts in Wisconsin, New Mexico, Nevada and battleground states like Michigan, Ohio and North Carolina, where new voter registrations have favored Democrats nearly 4 to 1 since the beginning of this year.
Missouri offers 11 electoral votes; the presidential candidates need at least 270 to win the election.

Looks to me like if you want your registration to stand you best register as republican or maybe indie and then vote your real conscience otherwise you can say guh-bye to your pre-registration. Though, this comes as no surprise, the Reds here in the US have been doing this every election I've paid attention to. Some folks call it "voter intimidation" In MN you can register and vote the same day, less chance of the gestapo throwing out your already useless vote.

Let's not forget that working to better your community (Community Organizing) is like, the worst thing anyone can do. Worse than murder or being gay even...! ;)

"The nonpartisan group works to recruit low-income voters"

nonpartisan?!
I dont know how they expect anyone to believe that..
they are as nonpartisan as moveon.org.

Though, this comes as no surprise, the Reds here in the US have been doing this every election I've paid attention to.

I totally agree!
but by "Reds" im talking about the liberal activists signing up all the fake votors and engaging in obvious voter fraud..

I think you are referring to different "Reds"! ;)

its fascinating how you can take a story about obvious liberal/democrat voter fraud and manage to turn it around so that the (evil, naturally..) rebublicans trying to fight the voter fraud are somehow the bad guys..

talk about partisan!
woah..

Scot

On Tuesday, authorities in Nevada seized records from ACORN after finding fraudulent registration forms that included the starting lineup of the Dallas Cowboys.

yep its those evil republicans doing wrong WTF? these guys are obviously doing something illegal and its the republicans who are in the wrong? dude you have got to be smoking some good stuff............

On the concept of 'dirt tricks' (or election strategy), I'm curious if either party has any really brilliant moves up their sleeve for this election. In hindsight, the last 2 elections were significantly influenced by the strategies of the 'Man-behind-the-curtain' - Karl Rove.

I still periodically ponder his approach of placing controversial issues (like gay marriage) on the ballots of key swing states. Mr. Rove had virtually zero interest in the actual passage of any of these bills. Their purpose was to mobilize voters who would likely not have bothered to vote. The people who were most incensed by the thought of legalizing gay marriage were conservative Republicans. While they were at the polls voting against this heinous initiative - they'd also press the button to vote for 'W'. By providing these issues with huge amounts of free press coverage, the media was a strong accomplice in his schemes and allowed him to spend needed funds elsewhere.

From a strategy perspective - truly brilliant. :rookwoot:

I think this may only be the very tip of the iceberg. When the actual voting gets underway we'll likely see the largest voter turn away / "registration challenges" (voter intimidation) on voting day in those key states than we've seen in at least the last two elections since the democratic candidate this time really affronts the status quo and the prevailing anglo saxon reality-tunnel.

I think this may only be the very tip of the iceberg. When the actual voting gets underway we'll likely see the largest voter turn away / "registration challenges" (voter intimidation) on voting day in those key states than we've seen in at least the last two elections since the democratic candidate this time really affronts the status quo and the prevailing anglo saxon reality-tunnel.

Rattler,
notice how he completely IGNORED the points we made??
and instead just continued on about how its the Rebuplicans who are the problem here..
not the liberal extremists actually comitting the fraud..which is of course the whole point of the story he posted in the first place..

its its only defense I guess..ignore the real point, make up a new one.

Scot

scottychaos and rattler_mt have a point, though I think you and swords are worried about different things and talking past eachother. I interpreted that swords is worried about the potential for legitimate [democratic] voter registrations to be discarded, not so much that fraud was committed.
The potential for legitimate voter registrations to be discarded is likely minimal. The important thing is that fraud has taken place on a scale that may be very significant. We cannot have a candidate winning because of fake voter registration. That defeats the entire point of a democratic system. I hope they get to the bottom of this fast.

ive got no problem with mass voter registration by either party....hell i would LOVE everyone to vote....voter turn out around here is horrible.....rather have everyone voting in every election even if lots of the locals have opposite views of me.......however the cases above are flat breaking the law purposely....not accidental.....not someone doing a filing error.....they are out and out fraud.........

Exactly. And simply because more voters have registered democrat this year in the problem areas they will be looking more at the democrat's registration simply because there are more of them in the complaint areas. There is no proof of anything beyond that, just wild speculation. I don't see the conspiracy.

Voter fraud isn't good, but it also isn't new. Using fears of voter fraud to silence the voice of legitimate voters is (relatively.) I can't condone any doctoring of the votes by this organization or anyone else, but from the sound of it there are some very inconsistent stories about the magnitude of this problem, and from the sound of it I worry that a sweeping, overzealous response might result in people missing out on their rightful chance to vote. There's a significant difference between 85 bad registrations and 1000. If you're going to accuse someone of doing something wrong, I think it's important to be able to say what it was.
I tend to fall on the more liberal side of the fence, so maybe it's my bias, but what I find worrisome about this story is that when the dems do something wrong, it's a big ruckus that gets taken care of before the election. I don't remember much in the way of consequences after the fraud and questionable "accidents" of the last two elections.
~Joe

i think you hear about dems doing it more cause for some strange reason some really wacko extremists are drawn to it and think that winning by any costs is ok....the wackos that the republican party draws tend to be the ultra religious......im mean i think we can all agree the really wacko PETA types are more likely to vote democrat than republican....its these same types of wackos that would be alright with doing voter fraud to see their side win.......i aint claiming all democrats are PETA types but i think that is a kind of personality that is more drawn to the Demo side of the equation versus the wacko conservative side

I think that's kind of a biased opinion. I agree that there are some unscrupulous liberals, but I've known just as many conservative types that see nothing wrong with discriminating against voters based on race, sex, sexual orientation, etc. if it means their pick wins the ticket. Many of the most vocal conservative leaders directly promote discrimination through both foreign and domestic policies - I could come up with a laundry list of racial and religious slurs thrown out in public venues by the figureheads of conservativism, and I don't think quite the same could be said of liberals. While there is some discrimination and classism in ultra-liberal politics, it tends to be directed at people's voluntary behaviors, not their religious beliefs or skin color. Besides which, as much as I think PETA is ridiculous and self-defeating, most of the PETA activists I've met are staunchly moral people who are extremely involved and dedicated to the idea of democratic decision-making. Do you have numbers to back up your claim? I don't think casual observation is enough to accurately characterize the demographic.
~Joe

was pure casual observation......fully agree there are plenty of wacko repubs......aint trying to argue that.....i dislike the ultra religious as much as the PETA types.........but you know whats odd? ive never seen a repub voter registration drive up here in this poverty area yet ive seen Obama's group come through twice so far with another one next week..........maybe the Demos get nailed on it cause the fact they are just doing it more often which means your more likely going to have a zealot screw things up just cause they are doing it more often.......

Yes, I don't condone someone signing up someone else (or dead folks) for voting... DUH!

What I'm getting at is during every election there are people from Republican groups standing around in the polling places harassing people claiming to need to "verify" who these voters are. These "verifiers" are outside of the normal process line and are allowed by law to be there to "challenge" the votes of anyone they wish to pick out of line. Democrats could do this too, they don't - but they could. I wish they would, it would get a little excitement going to have a bus load of gay black democrats in Tupelo Miss. harassing republican voters claiming a need to verify their information. ;)

But back to the article, now we may see the legitimate regular folks who've registered with ACORN be tossed out cos of some unscrupulous people messing around. There's also no guarantee, to me yet, that the person doing this within ACORN wasn't planted there by the FBI, CIA or GOP. After all, the peace activist groups in MN (not just the ones arrested for bombs) were infiltrated by FBI moles back during the RNC. They even infiltrated the Food not Bombs homeless food shelf.

FYI I never use the word "conspiracy" (unless I'm making fun of a "conspiracy"), everyone has an agenda whether they'll admit to it or not. I merely report my own perceptions of the events (as everyone does), some may agree and some may not. Currently we are still allowed to express our opinions in Tsarist America. Give 'em time - they'll get rid of that nasty ol' constitution for good some day then there won't be any dissenting voices. ;)

dude ive got to show proof of residence and a photo ID when i vote, and this is in a small town where i KNOW the election judges on a personal basis....maybe tighten up the voting laws in some of these states and this crap couldnt happen........

Like I said, this type of challenging of voters is not the same as the standard showing ID, proof of residence.

was pure casual observation......fully agree there are plenty of wacko repubs......aint trying to argue that.....i dislike the ultra religious as much as the PETA types.........but you know whats odd? ive never seen a repub voter registration drive up here in this poverty area yet ive seen Obama's group come through twice so far with another one next week..........maybe the Demos get nailed on it cause the fact they are just doing it more often which means your more likely going to have a zealot screw things up just cause they are doing it more often.......

True. But weigh the number of voter fraud cases against the number of registration drives. Also consider that Barack Obama and his campaign probably have very little connection to the organizations guilty of fraud. Even if they're the target of scrutiny, isn't it a good thing that more people who are typically underrepresented are out there voting?

I wish they would, it would get a little excitement going to have a bus load of gay black democrats in Tupelo Miss. harassing republican voters claiming a need to verify their information.

This sounds like a Daily Show special waiting to happen.
~Joe

FYI I never use the word "conspiracy" (unless I'm making fun of a "conspiracy"), everyone has an agenda whether they'll admit to it or not. I merely report my own perceptions of the events (as everyone does), some may agree and some may not. Currently we are still allowed to express our opinions in Tsarist America. Give 'em time - they'll get rid of that nasty ol' constitution for good some day then there won't be any dissenting voices.

You did not say it but your opinion was suggesting that the response may play a part in some sort of subversive act to intimidate the people who vote Democrat. Even if true, that does fit the term. An agenda is not the same, because wishing someone would loose an election is different than actually removing legitimate pre-registrations.

Back