What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Palin abused power

• Thread starter Tropics
  • Start date
you do realize, if yah tried to hold every governor to the standard your trying to hold Palin to there aint a single governor that would pass the test......hell Clinton fired 93 federal prosecutors cause they were getting close to getting his cronies.......the 300 page report even says Palin never asked Monegan to fire her brother in law just that "he felt pressured".......

I think if people read the article instead of just the headlines it is clear that this is just noise.

NOTE:

Yes the article is on Fox's website, however the article is not by Fox. It is an AP (associated press) article. We all know about the AP...

So did you actually read the 230+ page report yourself or are you just parroting the words of Palin?

Asked by a reporter in Pennsylvania if the charges were true, Palin replied: "No, and if you read the report you will see that there was nothing unlawful or unethical about it. You have to read the report."

you do realize, if yah tried to hold every governor to the standard your trying to hold Palin to there aint a single governor that would pass the test...

Anyone can make their own decision about whether Palin committed an ethics violation, but I think most people would consider the determination of a legislative committee with more than a 2 to 1 ratio of Republicans to Democrats. It's hard to accuse them of bias.

The McCain campaign is saying that Palin did not benefit financially, ignoring the fact that violating the ethics code may involve a personal interest.

Thanks for the update Xvart. I saw that last night. And she was deemed healthy.

Sarah Palin thought that Africa was a country, not a continent. The depth of her ignorance seems to be unlimited. This thread may never end.

More here.

do you really want me to post Obama's 57 states video or Bidens comment on the Stock Market Crash and FDR getting on television?

There's a difference between 'gaff' and cold, hard, belief, if we're going to compare the intelligences of candidates( well, not candidates anymore, I suppose) can we at least clarify along that difference?

Yeah, I think it is a little early with too little information to call that ignorance. It sounds to me as if it was something along the lines of Dan Quayle saying "it is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago."

I'm sure it is also exaggerated since everyone is in "pointing fingers mode," and is looking for the scapegoat to put blame on. I do feel bad for her, since she is going to be taking a lot of heat in the next few weeks to months. If life was fair, it should come back on McCain, since he was the leader of the ticket (although it seems a lot of the population tended to forget this in the weeks leading up to the election).

xvart.

Although I was apalled at the choice of Sarah Palin...I had nothing against her personally. Being a hockey mom, a hunter, a special needs parent, a six-pack swillin dudette is all great. But none of those things qualified her to run this country. And there was a very high potential for that with McCain's age and health issues.

Fact is...McCain made a hasty decision based on pandering to a certain demographic...ultra conservatives and the Hillary army. She was OBVIOUSLY not thoroughly vetted or they would have known she isn't terribly educated and doesn't handle herself well in interviews. I can't remember an election where a VP candidate was sequestered from the press the way Palin was. Firey speeches, winking and leaving the g's off of words are just not enough to lead this country.

Now the McCain campaign leaders are bashing her...instead of admitting the error was their OWN judgement. They fell short of their obligations in picking a running mate and now they throw her under the bus.

Sadly...she (and her daughter Piper) have had a taste of frothy cheering crowds and will want more of it.

I can't wait for the day when she meets with world leaders and winks and says "Nice to meetcha...and meet First Dude Todd." It'll be like having Bush back in office...talking about strategery and being the Decider.

Hopefully with a Harvard graduate in office, the U.S. won't be embarrassed any more.

Yup. Exactly.

Although I was apalled at the choice of Sarah Palin...I had nothing against her personally. Being a hockey mom, a hunter, a special needs parent, a six-pack swillin dudette is all great. But none of those things qualified her to run this country. And there was a very high potential for that with McCain's age and health issues.

I suppose being a mayor of a city and governor of a state aren't qualifications?

Fact is...McCain made a hasty decision based on pandering to a certain demographic...ultra conservatives and the Hillary army. She was OBVIOUSLY not thoroughly vetted or they would have known she isn't terribly educated and doesn't handle herself well in interviews.
I can't remember an election where a VP candidate was sequestered from the press the way Palin was.

McCain didn't make a hasty decision, he made a smart one. Palin was the only reason McCain came in 5 million votes short in the popular vote. She inspired people ala Obama, and even drove more people to rallies than McCain himself.

She messed up in an interview against a partisan media, big whoop. If you actually watched her V.P. debate which spanned 90 minutes, she disproved everything that people such as yourself toted about the Couric interview. If you really want to discredit Palin from a few sound bytes, why is it not OK to discredit Obama or Biden for their more numerous gaffes?

Lastly I can't remember an election where one candidate was so brutally mauled by the media from day one. She was targeted for annihilation, largely IMO because of her values. She was a strong Christian woman who rejected the extreme feminism that Hillary offered. My hat is off to Mrs. Palin for not folding under the pressure that no other politician has ever had to face.

Firey speeches, winking and leaving the g's off of words are just not enough to lead this country.

What is then...giving great speeches offering empty promises with the words "hope" and "change"?

Now the McCain campaign leaders are bashing her...instead of admitting the error was their OWN judgement. They fell short of their obligations in picking a running mate and now they throw her under the bus.

It's called saving face. The truth is the blame lies with Bush, his pride and his ego. He should have came out of his cave and admit his wrongs, and helped establish the differences between himself and McCain. Obviously this would take loads of humbling and was never going to happen.

Sadly...she (and her daughter Piper) have had a taste of frothy cheering crowds and will want more of it.

What kind of comment is this? You're suggesting she's thirsty for attention? Please.

I can't wait for the day when she meets with world leaders and winks and says "Nice to meetcha...and meet First Dude Todd." It'll be like having Bush back in office...talking about strategery and being the Decider.

Hopefully with a Harvard graduate in office, the U.S. won't be embarrassed any more.

You do realize that George W. Bush attended both Yale and Harvard right? So what point is it that you're trying to make about Harvard degrees? Or any college degree for that matter? As far as I understand there isn't a "College of Presidency" a field of study for the Presidency or a degree requirement to be the President of the United States.

Seriously, attaining a college degree is the equivalent of grinding in a MMORPG. Sure it takes effort, sure it takes time but anyone who applies them self can get one. I don't consider anyone with a Harvard degree special, or an instant candidate for the Presidency.

>Seriously, attaining a college degree is the equivalent of grinding in a MMORPG. Sure it takes effort, sure it takes time but anyone who applies them self can get one. I don't consider anyone with a Harvard degree special, or an instant candidate for the Presidency.

Huha... hahahaha.... hahahaHAHAHAHA!!! OH JESUS haha, hahahaha, haha, oh my god, that was good dude. haha, haha, whoo, I gotta sit down.

do you really want me to post Obama's 57 states video or Bidens comment on the Stock Market Crash and FDR getting on television?

I am willing to bet that Sarah Palin’s misunderstandings about the world are greater in number and magnitude than those of both Obama and Biden put together. You call my one (Palin’s Africa) with one of your own (Obama’s 57 states) and raise one (Biden’s FDR on TV). I call your one with Palin’s contention that she is an expert on foreign policy because Russia is so close to Alaska (obviously illogical, and further disproven by her misunderstanding that Africa is a country), and I raise you one with Palin’s misconception that the Vice President leads the US Senate (but a couple of months before she accepted the vice presidential nomination she implied that the position was useless.) By the way, what does the following quote mean?

"I know that John McCain will do that and I, as his vice president, families we are blessed with that vote of the American people and are elected to serve and are sworn in on January 20, that will be our top priority is to defend the American people."

Your bet.

Lastly I can't remember an election where one candidate was so brutally mauled by the media from day one. She was targeted for annihilation, largely IMO because of her values. She was a strong Christian woman who rejected the extreme feminism that Hillary offered. My hat is off to Mrs. Palin for not folding under the pressure that no other politician has ever had to face.
Nobody cares what religion anyone is as long as they're not trying to legislate their a priori religious convictions upon the populace. Which she appears to want to do, which then does make her religious convictions a concern for people who are not fundamentalist Christians or are concerned with holding onto as much personal liberty as possible. I would be just as much against Obama if he was saying the kind of things Palin said / did. Many women today do not want to be subjugated to the phallogocentric worldview and I can't blame them. That's fine for her to live that way but we're a modern nation and becoming more and more part of a global village every day. Once people taste sweet social freedoms, they want more and not less.

If you think that 2-3 month campaign she was part of was the most pressure a politician has ever been under you've got a LOT of reading on your country to do young man! lol! ;)

Xvart, I saw that on TV earlier today. I agree it's the McCain campaigns fault for picking her which led to the loss. Had they not picked her and gone with someone less over the top they may have won over Obama with a greater share of the independents (especially in MN). Palin seems to be what drove the indecisive voters off the fence into the Obama camp. Many people around here who were initially pro-McCain (my boss for instance) voted Obama in the end cos they didn't like Palin's far right politics which as my boss said "changed everything" at least for him. Even my little 84 year old church-going grandmother didn't like Palin and voted for Obama.

I think it is a little more complicated than that. As I believe we agree on, Outsiders, it wasn't a republican year. There were just too many factors going against republican candidates. When people say he didn't have his base and needed Palin to energize the base like no other person could do; but, at the end of the day, the hard core conservatives wouldn't have voted for Obama anyway. For the most part, never would they have voted for anyone other than McCain. The only problem with that is, what if they simply chose not to vote? I do think Palin can be seen as a necessity for the McCain campaign, but again it comes full circle to the fact that it wasn't a good year for republicans.

Not to let this media bias attacking argument get brought back to the center of attention, but I still don't believe that Couric had an agenda (and I've watched it several times trying to get a better understanding of this topic) other than clarifying earlier remarks from a VP candidate that the public didn't know a whole lot about. Again, this knowledge of the candidate problem comes back to McCain (in my opinion) because his campaign, as her aides have said, did not "roll her out" properly. Those questions weren't tough, or maybe they were tough, but at expectations level for the knowledge base of a VP candidate. I could have answered them, or at least responded in such a way that deflected the question instead of making silly statements. Again, she could have been better prepared by the campaign, but everyone had to know that some of those questions were going to come up eventually.

And I respect the fact that people think there was an overwhelming media bias. I think at times there might have been; but in the case of the Couric interview, I respectfully disagree.

xvart.

you want proof of media biased?..........had any REAL journalist been interviewing this guy it would have gone a different way, but since he voted for Obama its ok.....no asking to clarify his statements, no follow up questions....soon as he says he voted a couple times they say thats ok and they kick him off camera........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSvHRClwrmU

Ummmm ... the media shamelessly repeated every Bush administration lie for years and you only see bias when they fail to challenge some random guy on the street? As for Couric having an agenda; good grief, you're talking about Katie the bubbly cheerleader Couric. Anyone who can't hit a home run off her, no matter what pitch she throws, isn't ready for the major leagues. It astounds me ... no, astounds is too weak of a word ... that people who complain that Couric was mean to Palin also say that Palin is prepared to be president. I've faced tougher interviews and I don't even pretend to be ready for the town council.

I have to stop saying bad things about Sarah Palin - my daughter likes her because if you swap the S & P, you get Parah Salin.

Back