What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boots.

• Thread starter Kayota
  • Start date
It's a "chicken" in a very loose term. Not a barnyard bird at all. More so a cage bird like a parrot or something. Very much a sensitive, hybrid derived breed. Can't take cold weather, can't eat corn (milo, millet, wheat, or barley), can't get it's tail pulled less it bleed to death. It's a very complicated fowl.

Stems from an ancient cross of a green jungle fowl male and a red jungle fowl female. Such an F1 cross is call a Bekisar. The Bekisar gave rise to several unusual breeds including, but not limited to, the Onagadori.

These are some pure Onagadori in Japan:
http://4travel.travel.msn.co.jp/e/msn/traveler/ss1937/album/10190184/

No pures are known to exist in the US, but we're getting close. :)

I'm going to buy a pair these in the spring when I start working out again:

airjogtabi.jpg

airjogtabi3.jpg

If you can order anything and have it fit, you're very fortunate. My feet are terrible to try to find a good fit for. I doubt I could ever order anything through the mail to have it fit. I never buy shoes unless my old ones wear out. It seems like I have to go to a dozen stores to find anything. Nobody here keeps anything triple E in stock. :(

These remind me of ninja turtles lol

These remind me of ninja turtles lol

Yeah, that's what alot of people say. They are worn by martial artists and construction workers in Japan.

I've walked a couple miles in my boots twice now... my feet hurt sooo bad afterwards though!

Nice boots Kayota I'm not much of a boot fan though I have a nice comfortable snow boots for winter they keep my feet warm when I have to walk in deep snow.

Interesting boots Ahmad I have some socks like that to wear with my Geta shoes when I wore my yukata at a convention hmm I might order those boots looks comfortable..

I have always been looking for the pair of boots like the guy in Deicide had in the early 90s with the armored fronts. They were basically combat boots but with a 7" x 4" polished metal trapezoidal shank over the front. I think they were called Roadwarrior style but I can't recall who made them since it's been a decade or more since I saw them in the shop where they sold the Docs in minneapolis. I made a DIY pair out of scrap metal and leather years ago out of an pair of old Docs but traded them off for a couple Conflict LPs or something when my pal was moving to AZ.

Nep AK, what's wrong with Demonia boots? Is it just a brand prefrence to Docs or do they fall apart with extended wear? I've not worn anything but cheap work boots, the slip on biker boots or hippy sandals in a long time but I like the cool lookng styles of the Demonia boots.

Here's my latest pair of shoes I wear to work:
misfitshoes.jpg

Misfits mascot converse style skater shoes by some company called Draven, they're very cozy for standing 12 hours a day at work (when there's actually work to do four months out of the year). I wish they didn't have the cheesy blood spatters on em but oh well, I like me some misfits, "way oh oh! hatebreeders whoa!" :)

Demonia Falls apart after extended wear, and poor quality leather. Ive had a few friends buy them and they fell apart with in a month or two.

Doc Martin Air Wair is the **** great quality
chesterboot_2019_8808682

That sucks, even my $30 biker boots (I guess they call em Engineer boots?) last at least 6 months to a year wearing them to work. Is there anyone else who makes "cool boots" with buckles and straps and extra stuff attached that are sturdy? I saw a big feature in a goth mag called Death Rock that the "Lip Service" company has come back in business. I remember them from the Glam Metal mags of the 1980s like Circus and Hit Parader - when men were women and wore their girlfriends clothes and makeup-including early Pantera! Lip Service supposedly makes their own boots. They look pretty cool in the photos, they're spendy so they had better be good for the price! Any durability report on that brand?

Ohhh, Indiana Gardner that is quite the fine looking bird. How old is the one in the pic? I haven't heard of a Bekisar before but I had wanted to get longtailed chickens of some sort, yokohama, proto-onagadori, something...but the only thing I could find which I could reasonibly obtain were some"phoenix"...which based on the few my aunt had actually molted yearly and were basically glorified leghorns with a bit more tail...

Anyways how do you have them housed? Males in restricted cages with perches how high up? What about the females? I'd imagine Bekisar females have longer tailes than normal but their is nothing like the males..right? And if you are in Indiana how do you handle the winters, so they are touchy about their environment what is actually the temps they need to maintain?

Really I would love to see someone wearing platform black leather shoes studded with metal and buckles over every inch cleaning out a chicken pen...and I thought ours went nut over sandals and toes with nailpolish :)

Such a diverse thread...various forms of footwear, chickens and the ninja turtles.

Thanks. :) He's a yr old in that pic. The "proto" is a big misnomer that I myself fell into when I started out. That was until I became friends with the man who coined the term, Marc King. He never intended for it to describe present day birds. "Proto" is a Latin prefix that means, "that which gave rise to" - a past tense term. It only refers to the birds in Japan prior to 1920. The non-molters we have here in the US are heterozygous partial Onagadori descendants. A long term, but more fitting.

Phoenix do molt every yr. That's the way the breed was designed. Despite its asiatic classification, the Phoenix was developed in Germany from leghorn, modern game, and small traces of Onagadori blood.

I keep them 100% tradition Japanese style as best as I know how based on help from my pen pals in Kochi. Males have to be carefully house in tomebako ("stop boxes") with 49" high perches for their own protection. Daily supervised walk and exercise time is a must. Any "normal" chicken would go nuts in one. These go nuts out of one if unsupervised by a handler. LOL

They can be kept in larger stalls on high perches (as high as you want to make them [6-15 + Ft], they can fly like the wind), one bird per stall, but there is a risk of getting the tail caught on anything and bleeding out.

They are 100% tropical and have to be heated to at least 50*F in the winter.

They are touchy about everything. Touchy is an understatement. Any little stress; sight of a female, sudden change in temps, diet, etc. can induce a molt in the males. They receive fresh cabbage with their ration daily for decreased thyroid function to lower hormones. Forget feeding a commercially available ration. The wrong grain with the wrong form of glutenin, or maybe even gliadin, proves fatal. Animal protein is a must. Soy won't cut it. These birds' ancestors were hunters of small fish in tidal pools, enormous insects, etc.

It's a lot of work and a basic understanding of the genetics is necessary when choosing pairs. That's why a lot of people choose Phoenix over non-molters, but I enjoy a challenge. :)

>Really I would love to see someone wearing platform black leather shoes studded with metal and buckles over every inch cleaning out a chicken pen>

I'm willing to try it as long as I don't have to clean the boots afterwards. LOL

In my searches for wide shoes, did you know that Nike makes an "Air Native N7" especially for the Native American foot? I'm not native, but I sure have the wide foot that angles out at the toes and high instep. Nike apparently fails to realize that small segments of other ethnicities have the same problem. They only sell these to NA's! Isn't that ridiculous? It's like foot racism. LOL

Back