What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

matid ooth

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hi, I just found a mantid ooth well looking for salamanders. I took one of many along the path. I am wondering what species they are because I have seen medium brown females and large green females along the path. Does any one have tips on caring for an ooth? I am trying to get pics but, I can get a clear pic. I am so happy I found 1! :banana2:

Just keep it moist and warm and itll do fine. Is it roundish or oblong? Roundish=chinese mantis, oblong could be a number of things, but probably a euro mantis.
Or, leave it outside this winter and have babies in the spring!

Mantids are awesome! I usually hatch some every summer for the garden. If you hatch them now (indoors) make sure you have something to feed them or they'll start to eat each other. Get some fruit fly cultures going and lots of clear plastic dixie cups with lids with a portion of screen glued in the lid. The nymphs I've hatched run from ants so don't feed them those. Excess Mantids can often be sold to the reptile shops as novelty insect pets once they get an inch or so in size (big enough to take small crickets) but it's a chore getting them that far, I only did that once. It's easier out in the garden, they eat what they can get if the birds don't get them. :(

Back