What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re: Tony and Sunbelles Stolen Plants

• Thread starter obregon562
  • Start date
It is a very sad occurence. However, I think conclusions should wait until Sunbelle (and perhaps Tony) post their thoughts and stories.

At the moment, I believe the forum was a little too quick and....eager?(I don't know if there's a better word).... to jump on Dom.

i completely agree Jimmy. Actually, i told them that lol.

obregon562 said:
once again, i believe we are all eager to find the person(s) responsible for the crimes against Sunbelle and Tony, but it seems like there's a lot of finger poiting and dog piling on going on. I am not trying to defend Dom, he was in the area during the times both crimes happend, its just not right for everyone to jump on him like this. Do we even have (not "he was hear") evidence Dom did it?

Good luck once more Tony and Sunbelle.

Wow, now that I reread the whole thing yet again, yes, you do hold the same position.

If Sunbelle's story wasn't going to be published to the forums tomorrow, then I would say that they needed another reminder to lay off. But even then, I doubt it would help ease the situation until a better approach could be exercised. Ridiculing Dom and making him defensive so that he in turn ridicules others, in a viscious circle, is not the way things should be dealt with.

http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=6605&page=1

For those of you not aware...please draw your on conclusions, not the "guilty until proven innocent" stance.

While I think it is very important that members of the CP community are aware of this situation, I do not think it is prudent at this time to discuss it here, at least until more detailed information is provided from Sunbelle and/or Tony. I for one do not believe it is fair, especially since only one side of the "story" has really come out to cast any judgment.

The moderators have been discussing this in the mod forum, and all agree that awareness be made of the situation. Once an adequate amount of information has been put out (sounds like tomorrow), the moderators will reopen this thread for discussion.

And I hope that me closing this is not taken by anyone as minimizing the situation. It is very serious, and I hope that resolution is found and the perpetrator(s) are put to justice. I just don't believe us having a discussion thread will be of any value at this time, at least until we have another side of the story. Of course, once all the other moderators have weighed in, it may be reopened sooner if deemed appropriate.

Thank you for understanding.

xvart.

The moderators have been discussing this in the mod forum, and all agree that awareness be made of the situation. Once an adequate amount of information has been put out (sounds like tomorrow), the moderators will reopen this thread for discussion.

Further information about the situation: http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=6622

I encourage everyone to read Sockholm's post carefully in that thread, as I completely agree and support his post. Let it be known that the same holds true here, and if this becomes a "virtual lynching" it shall end. I hope everyone takes this as an opportunity to support those who have been wronged and obtain the provided information on what they are doing in these unfortunate times.

xvart.

they dont appear to have him dead to rights yet though it appears they have some good circumstantial evidence..........would think a police visit to his house would clear it up quite easily......

they dont appear to have him dead to rights yet though it appears they have some good circumstantial evidence..........would think a police visit to his house would clear it up quite easily......

how ? assuming if he is the gulty party, a visit to his house could prove fruitless if he already sold the plants....

Sounds like "stay away from other CP growers. If you find out there is one in a 100 mile radius, MOVE!!!"
Seriously this this just not right. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. If the police visits, so what? What if he just grows these plants at home? It isn't like there is only one place for such and such plants. Nothing can be proven.

some of the plants, especially from Tony's are uncommon enough that its fairly easy to figure out if he has the particular plants or not.......plus on something like this the idea generally aint stealing to make a profit but stealing so they can have those coveted plants such as Tony's black truncata.......chances are IF he is the perp the majority of the plants are with in easy reach so he can look at them regularly.......

as a nepnut these are other stolen plants from Tony that if i got my hands on wouldnt be letting go of except for ridiculous prices:

2 N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana 12"
1 N. trusmadiensis 12"
2 N. macrophylla 10-12" and several 3-4"
1 N. lowii trusmadi 14" upper pitcher stage

these are plants that can be a pain to get ahold of even if you have the $$, especially at these sizes........would bet good money that the majority of the plants are either at the perps house or at a very close friends house.....any true lover of neps, anyone who knows enough about neps to be this particular was mainly shopping to add to their own collection........

Sunbelle has already said that there will be no more visits and they are cutting back on plant pics. :(

Even it was was Dom, they'll probably never be able to prove without a doubt it was him...

if it is Dom i think he will likely be caught and charged....anyone that throws a basal on ebay from a plant the stole within a day of stealing it aint a criminal master mind.....but ive run into plenty of thieves that are really that stupid.......also who ever stole them is in a interesting position.....they aint going to be able to show off those plants to ANYONE for atleast a year and even then only a couple of them.....if all the sudden he starts showing ppl all these rare plants he suddenly picked up, unless he is rolling in the dough its going to set off alarms in ppls minds cause this aint that big of a hobby......if he stole them to sell them he will likely suffer a nervous breakdown cause on some of these he HAS to tell the buyer they are stolen so they dont go showing off their new plant which will set off alarms AND he has to trust the buyer 100% in that they wont tell anyone....thats a hell of a lot of trust........

I agree with rattler. From the sound of Sunbelles post the police should have enough evidence for a warrant to search the guys place, and as rattler stated, it's unlikely he's gotten rid of some of those plants by now. Unless of course he freaked out and disposed of them, which wouldn't be difficult considering what they are. >_<

Just a disclaimer - I don't mean to point a finger at Dom here, I'm speaking hypothetically for the most part. The second part of the message applies to anyone that may have stolen the plants.

Except the police could search his house and it would do no good. He knows he's in the crosshair, it would be easy to relocate plants temporarily.

What interests me is this: The plant up for sale on ebay is said to be a 'seedling' that will be shipped potted. For the person who buys it, it would obviously behoove them to take it out of the pot and see if it even has roots!!!

Right now this is my only comment: Hmm... interesting.

Interesting indeed, but they will likely need more than a -you-were-the-area-at-the-time argument for a conviction. They will need to have the actual plants or atleast pictures and not just a written description. The evidence is persuasive but hardly conclusive. It could have all been a coincidence, though I think the chances of that are unlikely.

Personally, I would need to see more hard evidence provided against Dom to make me convinced that he is guilty.

I want Dom to tell us where he got his plants.

At this point I think that this is his last chance. Things look bad for him if does not do this because it will only make him seem guilty. He could just show everyone the bill if he doesn't want to post photos.

Back