What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book: The Savvy Converts Guide to Choosing A Religion

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
i would say that book seems risky and wrong only to those not solid in their faith and are worried something could sway it......one of the most solid christian men i know is the pastor of the local Lutheran church......great guy and i knew i could get along with him famously when i walked into his office at the church and found the book cases full of not only christian literature but also books on most religions from ancient Greek to Islam and a decent amount of psychiatry books as well.....

He is a smart pastor. Religion is no longer given the authority it used to have and is certainly not as accepted, so now leaders (pastors, rabbis etc) are forced to defend their faith by other means. Religion is being challenged at every turn, and quite frankly, it can be healthy if done for the right reasons.

Phil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDFLn8kdtUg

Does this video have any validity or truth?

Seriously that video is Joke and just because the could find a total of two Muslims who think Israel should exist doesn't mean they speak for all Muslims.

I have two copies of the Koran by different translators and none of the Suras they used actually translated close to what my books said. They also cherry picked parts of it ant took the Suras totally out of context so no it doesn't have any validity. The mention of the Mein Kampf made me laugh even more don't people see that the creation of Israel and the relocation of Jews out of Europe was something that Hitler wanted.

That video also completely fails to recognize that an entire ethnic group and nationality Palestinians have no place to live and live in refugee camps, have had their homes taken/destroy/etc with no compensation so that European Jews could have their land. Israel was created for racist reasons and along racist lines and still maintains those prejudices which is wrong. Period.

Seriously that video is Joke and just because the could find a total of two Muslims who think Israel should exist doesn't mean they speak for all Muslims.

I have two copies of the Koran by different translators and none of the Suras they used actually translated close to what my books said. They also cherry picked parts of it ant took the Suras totally out of context so no it doesn't have any validity. The mention of the Mein Kampf made me laugh even more don't people see that the creation of Israel and the relocation of Jews out of Europe was something that Hitler wanted.

That video also completely fails to recognize that an entire ethnic group and nationality Palestinians have no place to live and live in refugee camps, have had their homes taken/destroy/etc with no compensation so that European Jews could have their land. Israel was created for racist reasons and along racist lines and still maintains those prejudices which is wrong. Period.

Do you mind sharing your version of the Koran in regards to the lines in that video? Would like to compare them just for curiosity sake.

Do you mind sharing your version of the Koran in regards to the lines in that video? Would like to compare them just for curiosity sake.

For examples sake Sura 2:190 at the end both of my copies say "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress (limits). For Allah does not love transgressors. (Surely, Allah loves not the transgressors)". The stuff in parenthesis is the difference between the two versions. I dont have time to put them all up here but watch that video again and look at how they translate it. You should see my point.

I do know Judaism is by far the oldest of the Jewish-Christian-Muslim type of religions and that the Jewish people have inhabited that area for thousands of years. That is a historical fact. But it is also true that the area became predominantly Muslim after a period and that both the Christians and the Jewish people who lived there did not have any sort of political power a very, very long time while the Muslims did. The long hiatus certainly would make any present claim of power in the region suspect. Did Israel have any right to carve out a place in a area already inhabited by people who had ALSO inhabited the area for millennia? No. But they are there now and they certainly have made it clear that they are not leaving. Ideally both could share the place but the truth is there is so much bad blood between the groups I don’t know if it could ever happen within the next few generations. The motive was suspect and the claim was weak, but you cannot undue time. Work with the present… a fixation on the past does not help the future. That is not to say forget it. No, no. But letting a fixation on the past hamstring the future...

Some people still have not gotten over the crusades for crying out loud! Or the American revolution for that matter. I don’t understand. Everybody who is was and were wronged are dead many times over for those conflicts. At some point, you have to realize that an move on (Considering Israel is recent history that previous observation does not pertain to that matter.)

Back