What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book: The Savvy Converts Guide to Choosing A Religion

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
For those who enjoy these kinds of things, here's a neat book I picked up today

51vP1cqP-yL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

View excerpts here:
http://www.amazon.com/Savvy-Convert...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224020699&sr=1-1

It's an extremely fun book of comparative religion. Each gets a two page synopsis in a visual encyclopedia manner that's enjoyable to read. Covering everything from Amish to Zoroastrianism. Concluding with how to leave a religion or cult if you decide to start thinking for yourself or simply converting from one to another. And finally the last chapter on starting your own religion. I was hoping this last part was a reprint of Timothy Leary's original "How to Start Your Own Religion" booklet of the 1960s but it's someone else's more modern article on basically the same theme.

Enjoy a book tonight! :)

Must be a world class summary to be able to confine religions such as islam, christianity or buddhism to two pages and a reader friendly fold out chart. . . .

Obviously, it's not "all conclusive" of each philosophy*, just a primer which should lead one to further study if they find something interesting. Studying religions is one of my hobbies and is one way which allows me to view the world's people in a more equal and relative fashion. This is a more "pop" type introductory book that's fast and fun to read and not too "heady" for people unfamiliar with new ideas.

*Despite the research the authors request that any egregious errors be pointed out so they can correct future editions.

Don't get too offended, or at least, only allow yourself to be as offended as everyone else who's covered in the book (Agnostics like myself included). :)

I'm good, just a very... risky topic for a book. It is intriguing.

why is it risky?

It's a sad day when people "religion shop" through catalogs, choosing the one that appeals to them.

How are you going to know what's right for you, or know anything at all, if you don't read and learn to form your own conclusions?

Nothing in this book places one religion over another, they are all given the same treatment.

I really don't agree with catalog shopping for a religion either. It's not garment shopping; it's a tug at the heart strings as a prompt to fill a void in the heart that nothing/no one else can.

Shopping around is like saying, ok the truth doesn't fit me, let me try on an altered version. Also makes it just head knowledge, not heart knowledge. To leave it as head knowledge is leaving it from where it's most important, the heart.

Personally, I would much rather pray to One who's tangible form I have not yet seen, but who's voice my heart can hear than to pray to a wooden, metal, or stone idol that decomposes, wears, and tarnishes before my eyes...

>Must be a world class summary to be able to confine religions such as islam, christianity or buddhism to two pages and a reader friendly fold out chart. . . .>

It's not difficult to break the main points down into less than that;
islam - pray to a dead man and kill nonbelievers
christianity - pray to a spirit who lives forever, love one another, care for the poor (non-believers included), forgive your enemies, etc
buddhism - basically you bow before a statue until you are enlightened enough that you become your own god. Wow, I'd be in trouble if I was my god. How does that help me? LOL

But then we do have freedom of the press and free will so everyone can/should have an opinion.

I leave with one final thought, a song that went through my head as I read this,
"Counterfeit religion has been around for a while
Mixing in the bad with the good, it causes lots of trials
But just like with diamonds, the fake will be unmasked.....
The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart.....
But only 'til the heart is changed can the old become the new...."

What the mind thinks the heart feels. Both concepts of "heart" and "mind" are simply a way of objectifying your own consciousness ."Truth", especially religious truth, is relative to each person depending upon their imprints (powerful experiences) and conditioning (repeated experiences). This is all very basic psychology.

Have you never had health education classes? There is no neurological activity emanating from the cardiovascular system. The brain however does output neuro-chemicals that can affect the entire body. Which is the principle on how faith healing operates. You may have heard the more secular phrase "the power of positive thinking" promoted by christian author Joel Olstein among many others, these are the same principles without using the term Faith Healing.

Ditto, Outsiders71.

I believe there is more to our bodies and minds than science yet knows, or may ever know.

Another that crossed my mind. Quite relevant.
"People are getting fit for Truth
Like they're buying a new tailored suit
Does it fit across the shoulders
Does it fade when it gets older
We throw ideas that aren't in style
In the Salvation Army pile
And search for something more to meet our needs"

Again, nothing in this book says Christianity isn't as valid as any other religion. Are you opposed to people even knowing about the existence of other religions?

>Are you opposed to people even knowing about the existence of other religions?>

Not at all. If we don't know falsehoods, how can we define truth? We all have free will. I just find the catalog shopping of it a little disturbing is all.

Nothing I hold against anyone. Like I said, everyone can and should have an opinion. I do find it disturbing, but I don't judge anyone for it. After all, one fundamental teaching of christianity is we're all the same and on equal ground at the foot of the cross. Reading this book makes no one better or worse than I. That is the last thing I want to come across as thinking.

But what exactly is disturbing to you about it? I'm trying to understand why this is bothersome and incites such emotion.

It's likely personal emotions about it. Not sure it can be put to words. It's probably an individual thing. We probably should just agree to disagree and think no less of the other for it. ;-)

Other religions aren't "falsehoods" to those who follow them, they're just as equally true to those people as yours is to you.

I try my best not to hold anyone's reality tunnel (worldview) against them. I take a great enjoyment in learning about how people perceive the world. We all see the world differently but I like to look for the reasons why we do. Religion is one way which affects the way we perceive the world, politics is another. It matters not if I agree with anyone but that I can try to learn something from the people I meet. Too often people take offense when everyone is put on a level playing field and informed that their beliefs are equally as valid as anyone else's and not any more valid than anyone elses. If people are never viewed as philosophical equals we can never learn anything from one another.

It's not difficult to break the main points down into less than that;

That's highly offensive.
-------------------------------

The only way to objectively find religious "truth" is to look into every faith and consider them all equally. Then choose the one that really resonates with you.

As for the book, it's meant to be humorous! God damn! (or Zeus Damn!)

-Jason

>That's highly offensive.>
Perhaps a little harsh, but I meant nothing offensive. I admit, some claiming to be christians also commit murder, but the Bible is against it. If I'm not mistaken though, islam does teach to kill non-believers? I could be wrong. Willing to learn that I am wrong if that's the case.

I also enjoy learning about other Cultures. I have very dear friends in Japan whom I've known for 5 yrs and are buddhists (from what little has been said). Sometimes they mention elements of their belief (a butsudan, etc) and sometimes I write down a Bible verse as a well wish. Neither of us takes offense or pushes anything on the other. I enjoy learning from them, but I'm firm in my own faith.

Nothing wrong with being firm in your own faith but there's no reason to ridicule and belittle other faiths with this kind of breakdown:

buddhism - basically you bow before a statue until you are enlightened enough that you become your own god. Wow, I'd be in trouble if I was my god. How does that help me? LOL
Another educational book along these lines is The Varieties of Religious Experience and similar essays by William James:
http://www.amazon.com/William-James...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224030470&sr=1-4

Back