What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you out there, Joe?!

• Thread starter xvart
  • Start date

xvart

Doing it wrong until I do it right.
Staff member
I sure hope Joe the Plumber is watching the debates tonight... It seems like they are fighting over one vote tonight: Joe the Plumber. Don't I matter anymore?! Dang it Joe!

xvart.

It's not just me; CNN noticed it too.

joetheplumber.jpg

xvart.

gotta love the cutting taxes for 95% of americans when 1/3 of americans aint paying hardly any taxes.....

...relative to their income, i would say more like 10%...

OBAMA: "Every dollar that I've proposed, I've proposed an additional cut, so that it matches."

THE FACTS: The bipartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that his programs would add $281 billion to the deficit at the end of his first term. The analysis includes Obama's proposals for saving money.
--------------------
OBAMA: "I want to provide a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans, 95 percent."

THE FACTS: Obama constantly says this. But the independent Tax Policy Center says his plan cuts taxes for 81.3 percent of all households in 2009.
-----------------
MCCAIN: "Sen. Obama, as a member of the Illinois state Senate, voted in the Judiciary Committee against a law that would provide immediate medical attention to a child born in a failed abortion. He voted against that."

OBAMA: "If it sounds incredible that I would vote to withhold lifesaving treatment from an infant, that's because it's not true."

THE FACTS: As a state senator, Obama opposed three legislative efforts, in 2001, 2002 and 2003, to give legal protections to any aborted fetus that showed signs of life. The 2003 measure was virtually identical to a bill President Bush signed into law in 2002 — a bill that passed before Obama was in the U.S. Senate, but one that Obama said he would have supported.
-----------------------------------
OBAMA: "We can cut the average family's premium by $2,500 a year."

THE FACTS: If that sounds like a straight-ahead promise to lower health insurance premiums, it isn't. Obama hopes that by spending $50 billion over five years on electronic medical records and by improving access to proven disease management programs, among other steps, consumers will end up saving money. He uses an optimistic analysis to suggested cost reductions in national health care spending could amount to the equivalent of $2,500 for a family of four. Many economists are skeptical those savings can be achieved, but even if they are, it's not a certainty that every dollar would be passed on to consumers in the form of lower premiums
----------------------------

Say what you like, but I nearly had beer coming out of my nose when McCain explained about his education proposal that would have folks go straight from the military to teaching without needing to deal with any of the pesky qualification exams or certification processes.

I don't care who you are, that's a painful idea.

[The clincher: I wasn't even drinking beer.]

McCain came acorss as the cranky old man he is.

Who has honestly come across as more presidential? OBAMA. Would you like me to post some "tweaked" facts too rattler? Seems like all the GOP has anymore... :p

actually didnt watch more than bout 10 minutes of the debate....pulled the above from an AP fact checking article.....granted i did pick and choose what to post but my main point all along has been compare what they say to what they do given most here clamour bout what the candidates say and pay no attention to what they do.....i have never made a claim that i though McCain was perfect......infact push comes to shove when i enter the voting booth i may still fill in the circle next to Ron Paul...

BTW if someone could tell me bout where(as in amount of time from the start) Obama talked about the 1994 Crime Bill i would like to know so i dont have to listen to an hour and a half of BS i would appreciate it.....

a guy on the very conservative hunting board i frequent summed up my view best tonight: "If these two are the best we can come up with out of 300 million people in this country, we are in for a world of trouble."

BTW if someone could tell me bout where(as in amount of time from the start) Obama talked about the 1994 Crime Bill i would like to know so i dont have to listen to an hour and a half of BS i would appreciate it.....

I think it was only mentioned once, as I recall, during the third-ish (?) question when asked about their running mates. I would say thirty to forty minutes? Somewhere around there.

xvart.

Why does any of this matter? McCain will get the vote, because the past presidential elections have involved a candidate getting a popular vote, but not the vote that counts.

thanks xvart, will see if i can find the debate on youtube in the morning.....

thanks xvart, will see if i can find the debate on youtube in the morning.....

No problem. As I recall, it was just mentioned in passing, sort of a drop in with the Violence Against Women's Act. No substance that I remember.

xvart.

Say what you like, but I nearly had beer coming out of my nose when McCain explained about his education proposal that would have folks go straight from the military to teaching without needing to deal with any of the pesky qualification exams or certification processes.

I don't care who you are, that's a painful idea.

[The clincher: I wasn't even drinking beer.]
THIS! My blood hit the boiling point when he said that. :puke:

MCCAIN: We need to encourage programs such as Teach for America and Troops to Teachers where people, after having served in the military, can go right to teaching and not have to take these examinations which -- or have the certification that some are required in some states.

By the way, does any one know if Joe the Plumber is the same Joe Sixpack Miz Palin was blithering about? ;)

Would you like me to post some "tweaked" facts too rattler? Seems like all the GOP has anymore... :p

funny i just read the factcheck story and they back me up on the points they covered.....they didnt cover a couple of the ones pointed out though.....would really prefer it if these "fact check" type sights picked apart ALL the points instead of picking and choosing which to look into.....

Apparently Joe doesn't have a plumbing license....

depending on state law if he doesnt actually own the business he might not have to have one.....i know there is alot of "if, than, else" type of stuff in Montana's codes.....i know ive been able to duck around some of the licenses with the flooring work ive been doing this year but next year ill likely have to file stuff with the state to get exemptions.....i know individuals can work independently under someone elses contractors license and not have one of their own........so depending on the state laws where Joe is at and his arrangement with the current owner he might not need one till he actually buys the place

apparently he also owes backed taxes. Fame has an inverse relationship with privacy i guess.

I'm here! What did I miss?
~Joe

Until this morning I thought Joe the plumber was a catchall term for the average guy. I had no idea he was an actual person they were fighting over! LOL

I like some of McCain's ideas better, but I thought both sides made blunders last night. McCain's was his idea to let people out of the military teach straight away with no qualification checks. Obama's dictator health plan reeks big time (IMHO). Employers would have to offer the kind of insurance that he says and offer it the way he says. Give me a break. Who does he think he is, this is still a free country... sort of.

Back