What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The home studio of the 21st and 1/2 century!

Well, I shot my card at Guitar Center today....

studio.jpg

Got the laptop maxed out on Ram last week (still only 2 measly GB) and tonight filled the nearly blank hard drive with the Native Instruments Komplete Synths virtual synthesizer software box set containing their modulators: Absynth 4, FM-8, Pro 53 and Massive.

The keyboard itself is a M-Audio Axiom 61 key Midi controller which is basically a "shell" of a synthesizer, all the processing and actual "sounds" are created in the software on the laptop. Instead of having several synths like I had in the early 90s so I could have different sounds, this is basically all I'll ever need as recording, mixing and burning to master CD-R is also all done on the laptop. I mean, that's the idea, I still have to learn how to do all that. I'm use to hardware with lots of buttons with sliders and old timey transport buttons that I recognize.

I'm glad it all is working in tandem after I got it rigged up tonight since returning it isn't an option - they don't take software synths back but I could return the keyboard.

Now I can't wait to get my grubby fingers on some symphonic and ethnic virtual instrument software!

Is anyone else here doing music on the PC?

i must say......you must be a hell of a lot more talented than me........cool new toys.......

Nah, I'm no more talented, I just have no "life" so I've got plenty of time to waste fooling around! :)

I haven't played with a synth and recording gear in quite a long time. I felt a hankering to get back into it and decided to go the newfangled technology route instead of using the stuff I'm familiar with: actual mixing board, recorder and standard synth keyboards. Always a good idea to buy stuff you have no idea how to use right? If it wasn't so space saving and have the unlimited options I would have bought the classic home studio gadgets. They have classes for playing guitar and piano, they should give classes on using virtual instruments and digital recordings. I'd pay some $ to get some one on one tutelege at a local shop to learn how to make the most of this stuff. Since the items in the photo are "it" the whole shmeal could be carried in a single keyboard gig bag if such a class could be found.

Now I just have to learn how to use it all! Guess that's why the stuff all comes with 100-200+ page books! :)

EDIT: can't sleep, so I'm reading the keyboard manual, it has a "Panic" button (two actually)... is that bad? ;)

Back