What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama is 3 for 3

• Thread starter Tropics
  • Start date
McCain did better in the third presidential debate than he did in the previous two. However, Obama bested him in each. Anyway, that's what the polls say.

McCain did better in the third presidential debate than he did in the previous two. However, Obama bested him in each. Anyway, that's what the polls say.

Just goes to show how pointless and wrong the polls are. The first two debates were a tie IMO. However the 3rd was a clear win for McCain.

I don't put much stock into polls. Depends on the distribution of the sample, the size of the sample, etc. A poll from CNN can show very different results than a poll from fox news. I do agree that McCain was strong in the 3rd debate, but it may be too little too late. Where was this aggression and passion in the first two debates?

Comically enough, even Fox has him doing better! Fox pundits like (Ins)Hannity and Ornery ol' Oriley won't come out and say that of course. Even Fox's polls actually show him leading when the yelling heads shut up and they give Fox headlines and such which is the only news I watch. I can't stand opinion shows no matter who they are because opinions are not "news" nor are they "information". Opinions are for debates (like on our forums or the pres debates) but they don't deserve to be called "news" because opinions don't mean or change anything to anyone but the person expressing them and their "disciples". Whether these pundit shows are on Fox, Cnn, Msnbc or otherwise I can't put up with 'em, but I'll watch the headline reports on all the channels. But as I've said all along, it only matters what happens at the real (fake) polls on Nov. 4th - any other polls no matter how tempting they look are all mere speculation.
Today all networks have Obi already 7 pts over the finish line in the Electoral College map, which for better or worse, are really the only votes which count in American elections - if you can recall the disputed outcomes of the last couple close elections. But again, the election isn't for a few weeks yet.

Where was this aggression and passion in the first two debates.

You realize that he has a track record of having an incredibly short temper? Inversely, the big fear on the democrat talk side is that Obama would get angry and come off as a stereotypical 'Angry Black Man', which he has not done. McCain, however, has had to hide this 'passion' for the past two debates to keep from looking like and angry old 'get off my lawn!' man. Which, in lieu of the scowls and frequent and, quite frankly, rude interruptions of Obama during the debate would mean he succeeded at doing just that. Of course, this is what is shown in polls based on Democrats and Independents weighing in. Republicans still like em, though.

I try my best not to watch polls, since I really don't give them much credit either. However, fun bit of news, Scholastic magazine (remember, from school? The fun random facts magazines and the book orders you could place? My generation was the "OMG! Scary stories 3 is out!!" generation, personally) Had their mock election for each of the candidates take place among grade school children, and Obama won! Now, it wouldn't be as significant except that, apparently, the Scholastic mock election has been accurately predicting presidential election victors for the past 44 years.

Also, keep in mind, in a democracy, for both Democrats and Republicans, your personal opinion is not in a vacuum, and polls are polls, any way you break it down. If the candidate you don't like wins the election, you have no one to blame except yourself for not doing what is necessary to support your candidate. If you are really, REALLY concerned about it, then you wouldn't be angry at polls, you'd be calling family members and trying to make sure they go out and vote, preferrably for your candidate of choice. I target disenfranchised voters and try and convince them to at least vote for someone. I've gotten one person to commit, although they say they're just going to write-in Hillary:)P), and the rest of my family will be out at the booths on the fourth after a somewhat akward debate with them. They're somewhat split as to who to vote for, but at least they'll vote :)

apparently, the Scholastic mock election has been accurately predicting presidential election victors for the past 44 years.
For better or worse, this looks like a great example of the imprint vulnerability of children's worldview from their parents as well. (off topic... I know )

To get back on topic of polling I always like to check the City Pages a few weeks after the election which gives the stats of how many people voted for weird write in candidates like Saddam Hussein, Bin laden, Hitler, John Lennon, Billy Joel, GG Allin, Chef Rah and all the rest. Now that's Democrazy! :)

Seriously, so what if he has a short temper? I know plenty of capable people with a short fuse... as long as you have a handle on it and do not make hasty actions based on anger... it really has no bearing on their capabilities to lead AS LONG AS they know when to say something and when not to. McCain has survived in politics for a long, long time. People who cant handle themselves don’t survive in that kind of high-pressure arena for any length of time.

I rember polls saying kerry would win the last election. Well, he did not. Bush won... again... why, I still have no idea...

Seriously, so what if he has a short temper? I know plenty of capable people with a short fuse... as long as you have a handle on it and do not make hasty actions based on anger... it really has no bearing on their capabilities to lead AS LONG AS they know when to say something and when not to. McCain has survived in politics for a long, long time. People who cant handle themselves don’t survive in that kind of high-pressure arena for any length of time.

I don't understand the attack on his temper either. There's nothing wrong with a guy having a temper because he's passionate about something. I also didn't see any of this "anger" or "short temper" last night. I think McCain was blunt, but ANGRY? Common.

I rember polls saying kerry would win the last election. Well, he did not. Bush won... again... why, I still have no idea...

It's the fundamental problem with polls. Unless everyone participates in them, they mean absolutely nothing. I don't know about you, but I was never polled. All polls turn out to be anyways is a contest to make your guy look better than the other. That's why I laugh at all these networks and pro-obama supporters throwing around poll numbers.

Only November 4th matters. Everything else is speculation and a possible attempt of the media to push for people to vote a certain way. Nobody likes voting for a loser.

Just goes to show how pointless and wrong the polls are. The first two debates were a tie IMO. However the 3rd was a clear win for McCain.

Case and point here. Who "won" each debate is completely a matter of personal bias, since very few people are able to be completely unbiased in the politcal arena.

If you have ever read "How to lie with Statistic's" then you should know you can get a poll to say/predict anything you want it to say. Personally I think McCain won this one and I'm not a big McCain fan. Just my two cents worth and is probably not worth that lol.

I think McCain won the first thirty minutes, but once they started talking about their campaigns he just looked a little bitter and only seemed to care about getting an apology. After that, I think it was pretty flat, with Obama appearing and acting more "presidential," as they say.

Now, it wouldn't be as significant except that, apparently, the Scholastic mock election has been accurately predicting presidential election victors for the past 44 years.

We should also keep in mind that children tend to vote the way their parents do, so there is really no surprise that the kids would elect the winner, since the parents are the ones that vote. I guess you would have to consider all the college students, people without children, and others, so I guess my point doesn't really matter... lol.

xvart.

Seriously, so what if he has a short temper? I know plenty of capable people with a short fuse... as long as you have a handle on it and do not make hasty actions based on anger... it really has no bearing on their capabilities to lead AS LONG AS they know when to say something and when not to.

That's just the thing, there is a very real question about whether or not he knows when to keep his mouth shut and not act on impulse. If you read up on any of the scandals McCain has been through (Keating Five comes to mind) you'll see that he has a bad habit of running his mouth at the most inopportune times. You're very kind to give him the benefit of the doubt. If anything, these debates have made him look more in control to me. His eyes are bugging out but he at least can keep the condescension to a minimum. I'd like to play poker with the man.
~Joe

Seriously, so what if he has a short temper? I know plenty of capable people with a short fuse... as long as you have a handle on it and do not make hasty actions based on anger...

I don't understand the attack on his temper either.

Finch hit it on the nose when he said a short temper doesn't matter as long as it doesn't result in hasty actions. That's the trouble with McCain. His temper causes him to make bad decisions.

When the financial crisis hit, McCain said that the SEC Chairman should be fired. The trouble is that no other economist, as far as I know, agreed with McCain. Then McCain said he would suspend his campaign until the financial crisis was fixed, and he declined to participate in the first presidential debate so that he could go to Washington and provide the leadership needed. McCain changed his mind about the debate and participated in it, giving the excuse that Congress would soon agree on a bailout. The vote came up in the House, and McCain couldn't even get enough of his Republican colleagues to vote for the bailout, and it failed to pass. Only later did a bailout bill that started in the Senate pass. But before that happened, McCain re-started his campaign.

McCain has shown that he makes bad decisions and he's erratic in a crisis. He doesn't have what it takes to make a good President.

When the financial crisis hit, McCain said that the SEC Chairman should be fired. The trouble is that no other economist, as far as I know, agreed with McCain.

I recall Obama agreeing with McCain on that point, plus he added other tidbits.

McCain has a record. Look at it. If his temper gets in the way of his decisions it would be evident. It isn't. Because it's a non-issue.

McCain has a record.

Of talking himself into trouble and being Washington's ***** forever! I think Obama "won" all of the debates, but by a narrow margin. This last one might have him up by a little more, however.

McCain has been through (Keating Five comes to mind)

you do realize McCain was cleared of all misconduct related to this.....infact the DEMOCRAT incharge of the committee to investigate it said McCain's name shouldnt be brought up in discussion of it cause he had no part of it.........

you do realize McCain was cleared of all misconduct related to this (Keating Five scandal)...

McCain and four other Senators whose campaigns had received sizeable contributions from Lincoln Savings and Loan intervened on behalf of Lincoln. Lincoln was in financial trouble because of its risky investment practices, and the government was investigating it and considering seizing it due to insolvency. The five Senators met with regulators, who later said they felt pressured to go easy on Lincoln. Three of the Senators continued to intervene on behalf of Lincoln, and McCain and another Senator did not. Lincoln was later seized by the government. The Senate Ethics Committee determined that the three Senators improperly interfered with the investigation. McCain and the other Senator were cleared of improperly interfering but were criticized for exercising poor judgment. McCain said that his actions were wrong.

Compare McCain's involvement in the Keating Five scandal with Obama's relationship with William Ayers, which the McCain campaign is using to try to assassinate Obama's character. Ayers was a member of the Weather Underground 40 years ago, when Obama was 8 years old, and Ayers was never convicted of any crime. He is now a respected professor at the University of Illinois-Chicago. Obama has known Ayers only in his reformed life, and they both served on a board of trustees of a non-profit organization, along with a couple of Republicans. Ayers has also contributed to the Obama campaign but does not have a role in it and does not advise Obama. Obama has denounced the actions of the Weather Underground. McCain's campaign is trying to use this very tenuous relationship between Obama and Ayers to paint Obama as a terrorist. It's telling that this is the worst aspect of Obama's character that the McCain campaign can find. It brings to mind the same kind of logic that makes the Governor of a state that is located near Russia a foreign policy expert.

It brings to mind the same kind of logic that makes the Governor of a state that is located near Russia a foreign policy expert.

... apparently Canada doesn't count...? Lol

Obama has known Ayers only in his reformed life, and they both served on a board of trustees of a non-profit organization, along with a couple of Republicans.

yeah the same "reformed" Ayers that said after 9/11 that he wished he had bombed more? and some of this countries biggest screwballs and idiots are "respected professors"

Back