What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recently, Andrew allowed me to sell some seeds & some plants on Terra with all funds going to charity. Here are the final results of these sales:

Total sales - $1511.00
Paypal charges - $56.80
Shipping costs - $97.78
Total donation to ICPS - $1356.42
ICPS match - $678.21
Total donation to Splinter Hill - $2034.63 ... :boogie:

Thanks to everyone who participated for making this possible!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

During & after the event I received a number of questions about growing methods. I suspect that there are some that were not answered - so here are the answers (or locations of the answers):

D. schizandra
Lots of people struggle to grow these guys (myself included). I've been able to find some conditions that keep them moderately content but not optimally happy (no flowers or notched leaves). Thankfully, they propagate easily (when they're not trying to die). :jester: Here are a few threads where some good info is shared ... general (2 pages), general, media, drier.

Cephalotus
- I apologize in advance because I'm probably a poor person to ask about these guys as I haven't had the assortment of issues that seem to plague others {as he knocks on wood}. I grow some on an east-facing windowsill, some in a terrarium under lights (top open ~60% in summer & ~15% in winter) and some outside all summer & in a basement cool room all winter. They've grown well in all conditions & all media types (although - I have not tried 100% LFS). I try to keep them from sitting in water longer than 24 hrs. The terrarium plants never sit in water - they get top-watered when the media looks dry.

Sarracenia stratification

Last edited:
Wow! That's fantastic! Great job, Ron. I'm positive the ICPS will put the money to good use.

xvart.

Yeay!! Congrats on the great fundraiser!:-D

Very nice Great work Ron!!!

I see those posts are still open... Are you still accepting "orders" on the remaining plants/seeds?

And I wonder how close this came to your expectations?

Thanks for putting the effort toward this, it definitely takes work!!
Andrew

Whoa, pretty impressive. I'd hope the amount raised exceeded your goals...otherwise you've got some massively high expectations.

So do you have any hair left or did you pull it all out trying to juggle and dealing with all the emails, orders, payments, shipping, etc.?

So basically you throw a grand+ at them and say "Do Good" and they go to town...awesome. I wonder what the ICPS will do with it, like do they have a specific project of higher priority they are working on and could really use the lump cash all at once?

Thanks for the kind words.

I see those posts are still open... Are you still accepting "orders" on the remaining plants/seeds?
Nope - that's it for me. No more packing plants or counting seeds for a while. :0o: I marked the posts as closed but didn't ask anyone to actually 'close' them.

And I wonder how close this came to your expectations?
Whoa, pretty impressive. I'd hope the amount raised exceeded your goals...otherwise you've got some massively high expectations.
My expectations? Heck - this blew me away! I was hoping for $200-300 and figured it would be an interesting experiment. I deliberately didn't look at any totals until everything was 98% over - because I didn't want to be disappointed while I was working all night packing...

So do you have any hair left or did you pull it all out trying to juggle and dealing with all the emails, orders, payments, shipping, etc.?
As I mentioned above, I really underestimated the scope - big miss. There were a few times when my 'attitude' wasn't exactly in a stellar place (like when I found out on Saturday morning that Monday was Columbus Day (after spending close to all night packing)) but all of the emails were really positive - which helped a lot.

Thanks for putting the effort toward this, it definitely takes work!!
I really had no idea what I was in for - but I'm really happy with the final tally and am looking forward to seeing pics of some cool plants in a few years ... :drool:

So basically you throw a grand+ at them and say "Do Good" and they go to town...awesome. I wonder what the ICPS will do with it, like do they have a specific project of higher priority they are working on and could really use the lump cash all at once?
Even if it takes them a while to find a good use - that's fine. I'm designating part of the funds to the Splinter Hill campaign to capture what's left of the matching funds. For the rest - they've got a good history with the projects they've either sponsored or helped out - so I think they'll do a good job with the funds. In addition, it seemed appropriate for a CP charity sale to go someplace that benefits CP - no?

Thanks again to everyone who participated for making this possible - you rock!! :boogie:

WOW thats GREAT im shure the ICPS will be VERY happy with all the dough you donated as your sig says you must do the thig you think you cannot do and you did im shure Eleanor Roosevelt would be happy

Matt

hahahaha

That's awesome! Good job and thanks for doing it!

Wow, that sure is a lost of money! I'm sure the ICPS will use it well! :)

Very nice I'm glad you were able to raise this much for them I wish I was able to buy something to help out hopefully next time something like this happens I'll be able to.

Ron, that is awesome!

Congratulations on all of your hard work. It's to the benefit of the entire community, so thank you. :)

A BIG thanks Ron, for the seeds and the effort.

Ron, that is amazing! Thank you for doing that. I know it was a lot of work handling all those orders and packing seeds. I'm sure the ICPS is thrilled.

And anytime anyone wants to toss $5 or $10 their way, every bit adds up. Forego a Starbucks and donate.

And thank you to Andrew who generously allows CP charity efforts to take place here. So make sure you support the CP businesses who help out the community.

Got my receipt from the ICPS today. Total donation made it over 2 grand with the ICPS match! (I modified original post w/ new numbers) Wowza!

Thanks again to everyone who participated. The money is going to a good cause - now we need a field trip down to the Splinter Hill site to check it out!

Also noticed a post from Bob Z / Brian Barnes. Seems the ICPS just needs another $400 to meet it's original goal. Let's empty those pockets!!! :help:

Back