What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We now go live to Grover's Mills...

I picked up this book today at Borders for $2.99 on special sale, it's the 50th anniversary on Oct 30th normally the set is $20.. Hopefully today's pick won't be as divisive as last weeks selection. ;)

51YAK2A56XL._SS500_.jpg

Info:
http://www.amazon.com/War-Worlds-Au...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224565146&sr=1-4

If you have any interest and have a Borders Books near you hop on over there before October ends to get in on the almost free book (260+ pages) & CD set. Fun listening in the car to this old broadcast dramatization and think of a time when radio and papers were essentially "it" for information. Even just hearing the dramatized crowd chaos today, knowing it's fake, is still quite exciting. The disk has the whole original 1 hour broadcast plus other stuff, I haven't heard the other stuff yet. Orson Welles also did some awesome rather psychedelic films (F for Fake among them) quite experimental for their time. Not to mention some narrations on several Manowar heavy metal albums! :)

The book itself contains among other stuff: the script of the radio play, a biography of actor / director Orson Welles, a look at mars in popular sci-fi culture, a biography of the stories original author HG Wells and the complete Pulp Fiction magazine serial installments of War of the Worlds in facsimile (including all artwork) without the greying pages as many facsimile books have.

Great stuff. War of the Worlds is one of my favorite "pre-modern" books. It is much more enriching if you learn more about the time of publication and definately about the radio show, which I gather the CD covers in depth.

Why spend $2.99 when you can get it on Amazon for $0.32?! lol.

xvart.

Aw, now I've gotta go check ebay and see if anyone has it up for $0.01 to beat that! :)

One of the local radio stations in LA used to air the Orson Welles radio play every Halloween. There was also a well done TV movie about it in 1975 "The Night That Panicked America".

The DVD of the 1953 George Pal movie version also contains the radio play as a bonus.

Is the George Pal version the one which ends with a shakey shriveled hand reaching out of the destroyed craft at the very end? I think the main guy steps on the hand just as the movies closes. I remember that part from seeing it on Laser disk way back!

Yep, that's the one. It also has the flying wing dropping an atom bomb on the Martians who go on (untouched) to destroy Los Angeles.

I've gotta see that again - It's been at least 25 years! :)

Back