What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just another maverick

• Thread starter Tropics
  • Start date
Sarah Palin proved again that she is a maverick when it comes to ethics. She used thousands of dollars in State money to pay for her children's travel expenses to functions to which they were not invited. Then in August she ordered the children's travel expense forms to be changed to indicate that they performed official State business while on the trips. Here's the story from Fox "News":

Palin story

the state plane should be used for official business only, not like a family station wagon.

This line makes me giggle but even as much as I dislike Palin's ideas, I can't fault for cheating on travel or expense vouchers (I know those weren't mentioned but Clothes could go in that pile of receipts too) anytime someone gets access to this kinda stuff they abuse it, especially if they have the ability to have things made to look more official. It seems to be the way people are, and especially the way people in government operate: "let's see just how much we can get away with".

Isn't that the whole idea behind paying someone's way? I think if you were a business really concerned with spending your money wisely, you would tell your employees that they had to dress for success or you would find somebody better. Pay your employees well and they'll be able to look the part. (That does assume your employees are competent dressers.) Expense compensation is nothing more than a tax dodge. I guess I would say that travel doesn't necessarily count in that sense, but it's a borderline case. Anyways, too bad for Palin that she got caught breaking the rules. Or, perhaps, following them in a rather unflattering manner.
~Joe

Is it really necessary to create multiple Sarah Palin bashing threads and clutter the forums?

One thread isn't enough to fit all of it in. I didn't know that soccer moms and moose hunters shopped at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. John McCain had to come up with another excuse for yet another mistake made by his campaign. According to him, her clothes are going to be donated to charity after the campaign is over. I bet he wonders what kind of excuse he has to think of next.

One thread isn't enough to fit all of it in. I didn't know that soccer moms and moose hunters shopped at Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. John McCain had to come up with another excuse for yet another mistake made by his campaign. According to him, her clothes are going to be donated to charity after the campaign is over. I bet he wonders what kind of excuse he has to think of next.

Just a FYI, I've reported this thread and hope it does get removed. We don't need this forum cluttered with bashing threads. Why not create one anti-Sarah Palin thread and dish it all out there? It's just not necessary or worth the bandwidth.

Just a FYI, I've reported this thread and hope it does get removed. We don't need this forum cluttered with bashing threads. Why not create one anti-Sarah Palin thread and dish it all out there? It's just not necessary or worth the bandwidth.

The thread will stay, but in the future, let's try and keep relevant threads together. And, for the record, I don't consider it a "bashing" thread. It is current events, afterall.

That being said, I don't think the topic at hand is a big deal. If the RNC wants to buy clothes for their candidates, go ahead. It is their money they have raised and they can do what they want with it (legally, at least). It is the message they are sending across and how the public wants to perceive any of their actions. I don't think it was a good idea to do, and goes against the message of trying to be able to relate to middle class America. I didn't donate any money to the RNC (or the DNC for that matter), so I don't really care if they buy clothes or dog food with it. Non-issue in my opinion.

xvart.

The thread will stay, but in the future, let's try and keep relevant threads together. And, for the record, I don't consider it a "bashing" thread. It is current events, afterall.

That being said, I don't think the topic at hand is a big deal. If the RNC wants to buy clothes for their candidates, go ahead. It is their money they have raised and they can do what they want with it (legally, at least). It is the message they are sending across and how the public wants to perceive any of their actions. I don't think it was a good idea to do, and goes against the message of trying to be able to relate to middle class America. I didn't donate any money to the RNC (or the DNC for that matter), so I don't really care if they buy clothes or dog food with it. Non-issue in my opinion.

xvart.

The point is Xvart the OP has created multiple threads, based on MSM stories that have targeted Palin. Where does it end? You don't see me creating an Obama thread every second I read an article or story that views Obama in a negative light. I can if it will help get the point across. You yourself admit that this issue is a non-issue, and IMO is nothing but fodder to attack Palin.

I agree with Outsiders..
All of Tropics threads are basically just spam at this point..

We could make a billion threads about all the stupid things Palin, McCain, Obama and Biden say and do..
but its gotten to the point where its no longer "news"..its merely endless pointless partisan bashing..

its gotten very boring..because its been WAY overdone..

Scot

The point is Xvart the OP has created multiple threads, based on MSM stories that have targeted Palin.

I understood the point, which was why I said from now on keep relevant topics together.

You yourself admit that this issue is a non-issue

Which is why I was choosing to ignore it and not participate except for reading it to make sure everyone is playing nice in the sandbox. The only reason I posted my opinion is because I was already posting in response to your concern. If I wasn't a moderator, I would simply ignore it since I could care less about Palin and RNC shopping.

Something I would recommend to all members if they don't care about a topic or want to participate.

Regardless, the point was understood, and it was addressed.

xvart.

I just want to take this moment to nominate xvart for supreme court. He always does an incredible job of moderating, and I think he would be very fair as a Justice. :)

I recall something about a law on what actually can and can not be bought with the official party till money but getting caught is usually the cure for this sort of excessive spending. Otherwise they'll at least be more clever at hiding it next time.

Her shopping at some fancy baby store in MN has made the store famous so that's a plus, if your baby has that kinda cash for a jumper that is. If they are marketing her as the Wal Mart mom (at first anyway) why didn't they take her to the actual Wal Mart? There's one on University Ave. which is about 10 Minutes from Kellog Ave. where they held the RNC, it would have been a good photo op.

I wouldn't wanna be the GOP spokesman either, it's like Wiley E Coyote was their main strategy planner this time round, doesn't he realize yet that those Acme products usually blow up in your face? At least nobody put up a story on the guy who came out saying that Obama proved his irresponsibility by taking time off to visit his dying grandmother... oops I wasn't gonna mention that! :blush:

I don't see what it matters where a news story that get's posted originates, the stories are all carried at the same time on the 3 major news networks who are all starving for something, anything to put on the air. You can visit the story on your favorite station or station's site if you want a slightly (often negligible) different version. If you want to get technical about it, the BBC is even more unbiased than any of our media cos they don't really care what happens over here one way or the other. Incidentally, both Tropics and myself used Fox for our current threads, evidently thinking along similar lines, that no one could claim we were using "slanted media" because Fox IS the "fair and balanced news". I know it's true cos it's right there, in their slogan. ;)

If anyone finds themselves getting upset over political or opinion threads, just ignore them. The bulk of the political ones will likely stop a week or so after the election is over. Election season is one of the few times we all get excited to pontificate on the "bigger things" that we the people actually have very little real control over even if "our guy" gets in. And everyone is free to discuss and debate in a civil, if not occasionally sarcastic manner. I for one enjoy these type of threads because it's fun to get differing opinions and ideas on a topic. I already know how I feel about a given topic but I like to see what some other people I "know" think about the same topic. I don't expect many people to agree with my wild opinions but that's fine with me.

There's no reason for anyone to get too worked up over any of these discussions. Opinions which run contrary to your own will happen throughout much of life. Not just on politics and religion but every possible facet of life, including how to hang the toilet paper! I had no idea there was a "right way" and a "wrong way" to do that until my first live-in girlfriend informed me (I no longer recall which way was the "right way"...). The best thing you can do in any of these situations is laugh it off if it seems too ridiculous or contrary to your own ideas to even consider.

As to the election in particular just remember the old anarchist's voting adage:
"No matter who wins - we all loose." :-D

I just want to take this moment to nominate xvart for supreme court. He always does an incredible job of moderating, and I think he would be very fair as a Justice. :)

Thanks for the compliment. Becoming a justice isn't really in my career goals, but being a city councilman or commissioner might be interesting.

xvart.

Thanks for the compliment. Becoming a justice isn't really in my career goals, but being a city councilman or commissioner might be interesting.

xvart.

I would nominate xvart as well, that is if he didn't lock all of the threads I contribute too...:nono:

J/K xvart ;).

I would nominate xvart as well, that is if he didn't lock all of the threads I contribute too...:nono:

J/K xvart ;).

lol. Better to lock the threads up than to lock up the person, right?

xvart.

Back