What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the quick hunting trip.........(only one dead critter, no blood shown)

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
supposed to have headed out at 2:30 on Friday afternoon but the wife had issues at work and we didnt get any hunting done on Friday as it was dark when we got to the hunting area.....

since speed goats(pronghorn antelope) are active all day and arent just mostly limited to dawn and dusk like deer and elk we werent in a hurry to get up Saturday as we had several nights of lil sleep during the week.....prolly didnt hit the road till 7:30a.m. or so, usually out by 6 for deer and elk(the season for these didnt open till sun up today)......cruised around all morning but no real pictures to show.....spent the time with my eye glued to the spotting scope looking over animals 1/4 to 1 mile away looking for a trophy buck.....saw about 120 animals total prolly a dozen or so average bucks that were in the 10-12 inch range.....saw half of a monster, the left side was prolly 16 or 17 inches but the right side was deformed, or busted off or something right above his ear.....the other side being as massive as it was i would have likely shot him anyways but couldnt get close as my wife, having a bone spur on her heel, couldnt help me with my stalk and i wound up crawling 300 yards or so on my hands and knees before he wondered off to join a group of about 50.....
a high pressure front moved into the area bout noon and it started to rain a bit.....the back roads are lil more than powdered clay and when they get wet things get interesting so we headed for gravel roads....and back to the cabin.
IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

where we stay is at my inlaws cabin at the Pines Recreation Area, the last 3/4 of a mile of the point is a no shooting area so my father in law went on to the back porch and called his "pet" whitetails for their afternoon snack.....
IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

the gal in the pink is my youngest daughter, the gal in the white is my wifes sister
IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

a nuthatch on the back porch
IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0782.jpg

it cleared up a bit at about 3 so the wife and i went for a ride, found some sharptail grouse, got one, my first bird in 8 years
IMG_0784.jpg

second wave of the storm front moving in
IMG_0788.jpg

sunset
IMG_0789.jpg

got up this morning and winds were steady at 35, gusting over 55mph.....was going to be rough hunting and since the main plan was to go after elk for my oldest daughter we decided that the forecast looks FAR better next weekend we pulled up camp and came home.....on the way by the Dredge Cuts, the spot where the dam drains into the river we took a picture looking into the wind across a bay only bout 250 yards across......the wind is blowing hard enough to cause white caps in this short distance
IMG_0790.jpg

It looks like Connecticut - people feeding deer and a bird eating seed.

Nice, thanks for sharing the pics. I always like your adventure threads, Rattler. We've got very different landscapes & climates, so I like getting a feeling for yours. And the best part is that I can do it without freezing off any extremities. ;)

Also :O ! A picture of Rattler, do my eyes deceive me?! :jester:

told yah im behind the camera 99% of the time, not in front of it, if im in a picture its cause i either have a critter in my hands or am covered with blood, mud or other filth.......had my wife not been along you would have seen the shotgun leaning next to a fence post with the bird hanging next to it :D

Hey hey rattler, you aren't half bad looking >.>

Haha, you look pretty happy with that bird in your hand; good job.

Those deer look so cute. What are they being fed? Nice pics!

Given Rattler's avatar, I assume they're feeding the deer venison.

lol they are being fed some crackers and bread........

We had wind like that here too yesterday, it was hell. One of my plants in a two foot wide pot tipped over (cold tolerant...) and I cannot find where any of the massive amount of soil that spilled went to. Several interesting objects are in the area... things from a construction site are everywhere.

Great pictures! The deer and... awesome closeup of the bird. I like that one best... of course... I gave up trying to take pictures of birds long ago. I do plants now. They do not move.

Cool deer pics!!

I'd be careful of ticks from wild animals though..........

You know about Lyme Disease, right?

I love these pictorials you provide, rattler. Thanks for sharing your trips. I really appreciate the Montana countryside. So what was the deal with the bird drought? None in eight years? Just bad luck, or hunting for other animals?

Also :O ! A picture of Rattler, do my eyes deceive me?! :jester:

Heh. That is what I was thinking!

You know about Lyme Disease, right?

Rattler knows about all.

xvart.

Back