What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing voter tales?

Just wondering if anyone has any tales of mis-adventure, fun, weird happenings, etc while voting today or in the past?

I voted today at 10:15 this morning, I brought a copy of "Dubliners" by James Joyce to read while waiting but no line! Last time I voted at 7 am and waited hours in line with nothing to do but avoid making eye contact with anyone. I had to show a cable bill, photo ID and SS card in 2004. Today I was in and out in 5 minutes and nobody even asked for any ID at registry sign in at all. It took longer to get through the checkout line at the reptile shop to get a sack of crickets afterwards.

At least this time I didn't run over the mailbox of the polling station.... I guess I'm just not as much of an Anarchist as I was 4 years ago! :-D

Everything went smoothly where I voted, only about 3 people in line when I got there and even less when I left.

Last presidential election I had to wait in line for about 45 minutes to an hour in the sun before I even got inside.. :(

two words: early voting

My voting booths were fly! updated, smooth, and like 2 people in line!

C'mon guys, with all the talk lately (on both sides) you all better have gone out and voted! ;)

So stop in here and pipe up - whether it was an "amazing tale" or not.
How'd it go? Better than last year, worse? Can you do early voting in your state?

I didn't vote.

I can't vote but my brother did! Well he got confuzzed on how to vote (even though my parents gave him directions) and wrote his name in the write in box lol! Chris for President!

I was somewhat disappointed that nothing exciting happened at my precinct. I actually finished 3 times faster than I did in the previous election (20 minutes, in and out).

xvart.

Today I was working the polls, asking people to vote no on proposition 8 (constitutional ban on gay marriage). I got dispatched to Kenter Canyon Elementary School for my morning shift. When I got there with my poll partner, there was a newscrew. I wasn't sure what was going on until a bit later. We eventually found out that this was Arnold Schwarzenegger's precint to vote in. It was pretty cool seeing him (I was only about 20 feet away). He went in and voted, then talked to some of the kids. As his SUV pulled away, my poll partner and I showed off our No-On-8 stuff and recieved a thumbs up from Maria Shriver (his wife).

Other thoughts: Arnie is rather short and has a head like a freaking cinder block

Mail-in ballots in my precinct. If there were booths, I don't know about them, because I'm in a different state.
~Joe

I voted in the morning. no line, but for some reason I had to re register. They also had me in the computer as living somewhere I never have. ballots were easy to read and fill out.
peace,
Zero

No issues for me, but for some reaon my wife was not registered in our precinct, and had to do all the paperwork.

So I herded the kids for about 15 minutes.

Other than that, nothing.

I got in and out in 20 minutes, as the usual. . . :)

No punch cards this time, just the giant card (say, isn't that environmentally unfriendly?) where you have to connect the lines.

I miss the old days of the punch card. Some days you just feel like punchin' something, ya know? :p

Why can't they just use credit cars type thing that you swipe? I mean all they have to do is print out a name for each vote after that...

I got in and out in 20 minutes, as the usual. . . :)

No punch cards this time, just the giant card (say, isn't that environmentally unfriendly?) where you have to connect the lines.

I miss the old days of the punch card. Some days you just feel like punchin' something, ya know? :p

punch card?
giant card?
connect the lines?

I cant picture what this describes..could you explain more?

Here in NY state (dont know if its state-wide, but I think it is)
the people at the "check in desk" have a printed-out "book" of everyone who is registered in the district, and assigned that particular polling place..I overheard the workers say they had 600 people for that particular place... each persons name in the book has a copy of their signature next to it.
the signature in the book came from the signed registration, when the person registered.

then the "check in desk" person holds a piece of paper over the signature in the book, so you cant see it, and asks you to sign on the line next to it..
after you sign, they check that the two signatures match.

Thats all I had to do to "sign in"..didnt even need to show any ID.

Our polling place wasnt busy at all (about 4pm)
there were about 5 people ahead of us..
we were in and out in 10 minutes..

Scot

Here in NY state (dont know if its state-wide, but I think it is)
the people at the "check in desk" have a print-out of everyone who is registered in the district, and assigned that particular polling place..I overheard the workers say they had 600 people for that particular place... each persons name in the book has a copy of their signature next to it.
the signature in the book came from the signed registration, when the person registered.

then the "check in desk" person holds a piece of paper over the signature in the book, so you cant see it, and asks you to sign on the line next to it..
after you sign, they check that the two signatures match.

Thats all I had to do to "sign in"..didnt even need to show any ID.

This describes exactly what it was like for me, in Missouri. I did have to show an ID, though.

xvart.

This describes exactly what it was like for me, in Missouri. I did have to show an ID, though.

xvart.

Can't you butt-heads call it already so we can get this electoral map completed? :p

Can't you butt-heads call it already so we can get this electoral map completed? :p

lol. I know! I keep waiting to hear what's up, but we keep dragging our heels. I just moved from Kansas (which is definitely not a swing state) and it was exciting to be able to vote in a swing state; although, not getting the state counted until three days after the election has been called has sort of negated all that buildup...

xvart.

Luckily I had the day off and was able to pick a time to vote that was really quiet. But I heard the polls were rocking that morning.

It was rainy here...but I got some nice fall shots afterwards. The trees are kicking into high gear here and there was quite the carpet of yellow maple leaves on the sidewalk.

I did get a chance to tell the people who were pushing those flyers at me as I walked by to SAVE A TREE! What a waste of paper. :D

Back