What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obama has won!

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
I was wondering when others would notice that comment. It made me so angry that I could not think of any response that would not net me a ban myself. Actually, I could but I just really, really did not want to.

On a lighter note, Obama has a lot to live up to now. It is now a wait-and-see thing for me. I really hope he can deliver what he promised, but I do not think much of what he promised is feasible in the short term. I just hope the whole thing is not a disappointment. I do not think it will be, but you never know.

While I agree that Dimka certaintly deserves the ban..
shouldnt Swords be banned for his comments too?

She'd probably like to stretch my godless flesh out on the old rack. Maybe revoke my use of the 1st amendment by yanking out my heathenish tongue and lopping off my hands before lashing me to a stake in the center of town. As a show of "Love" for my own "tortured soul" of course!

Peace and Love triumphs over Fear and Hate
(the original thread title that a mod had to change)
translated:
Democrats = peace and love.
Republicans = fear and hate.

both Dimka's and Swords comments are obvious slurs against one class of people,
suggesting they are much worse than other "better" people, comments based only on hate and ignorance of those different than themselves.

IMO, they are exactly the same..its all hate speech, and ANY hate speech on this forum should be treated the same..but so far, Swords seems to be getting a pass on all of his hate speech.

Scot

>but so far, Swords seems to be getting a pass on all of his hate speech.>

I've noticed that too. Maybe Swords is the mod in disguise?

Swords has been pretty offensive towards conservatives, just like we all want people we don't agree with to drop dead. Not all of us are that way. I don't agree with some people or their lifestyles, but I understand that isn't the person themselves, just a choice the person makes. It's their life, and though I don't think much of it, as long as they don't push it on me, it's their business.

I don't understand where all of the raw hate for Palin comes from. People say she's a Christian, so she must hate. What's that about? It's the opposite of how a Christian should be - love the person, disagree with the decision, not hate the person. The worst part is, her accusers (not just here, on tv, etc) exhibit more hate than anything I've ever seen from her. They are committing the exact thing they accuse her of. Makes no sense.

Maybe its because swords can get his thoughts across without implying we murder people that hold a different belief/born with a different sexual orientation?

Maybe its because swords can get his thoughts across without implying we murder people that hold a different belief/born with a different sexual orientation?

So its only "bad" if its about gays?
interesting..

You basically made my point for me..
there is a clear double-standard here.

Scot

Swords hasn't advocated torture and murder of an entire sect of people guys. Settle down.

Swords hasn't advocated torture and murder of an entire sect of people guys.

Stereotypes are just as offensive. Can you honestly tell me that if someone made an accusation against Swords, implied some action that Swords would like to take (i.e. stringing someone out on something or whatever like above), or the like, that person wouldn't be banned? No, they would be banned for rude insulting behavior, bad forum conduct, etc. It's not just been killing that people have been band for here that past few days. It's over all conduct.

So its only "bad" if its about gays?
interesting..

You basically made my point for me..

Scot

Scot, let me highlight this for you since you missed the point: "Maybe its because swords can get his thoughts across without implying we murder people that hold a different belief/born with a different sexual orientation?"

Show me where swords implies we should kill republicans/christians/conservatives/anybody.

I can only speak for myself and not the other Mods.

If either of you would care to point out how exactly either the old thread title or swords comment advocate a vile, inhumane and all around heinous act against a group of others I would be willing to hear what you have to say.

Personally, I think his title was no more hateful than any of the the ad campaigns I have been forced to watch on the television for the last 18 months but it was changed because we got requests to change it. I was not the Mod that made the change but I suspect the one that did spoke to swords about it.

His second comment I personally see as a nothing more than heavy sarcasm. Yes it is critical of Palin but he has just as much right to gripe about her as you have to gripe about Obama. In this thread alone the new President elect has been referred to as a terrorist and a heathen and scads of other things and yet none of you take issue with that but swords "disrespects" Palin by saying she wants to draw and quartet him and suddenly it is not okay to talk trash about a politician.

I don't understand where all of the raw hate for Palin comes from. People say she's a Christian, so she must hate. What's that about? It's the opposite of how a Christian should be - love the person, disagree with the decision, not hate the person.

I do not normally like talking religion because it is such a volatile topic but I no longer have any faith in the Christian belief. I was born and raised Catholic and I have seen and heard the most vicious and hateful things said by "Christians". You yourself actually make the point. Christians are "supposed to be" loving of the person but more often than not if the decision is not with the Christian view then that person is "going to Hell!" And I am sorry but damming someone to Hell sure is not loving them in my book. And yes that is a generalization but if you really want to hear specific stories of how hateful "Christians" have been to me then please feel free to PM/email me.

There is that but it is more that (and again I am only speaking for myself here):

1) I see swords comments as nothing more than smartass satyrical remarks. They are barbed but so are many of the others in these political threads.

2) Swords is not being a hate monger. Talking trash about Palin or the Republican party is a world away from advocating torture and murder upon a whole group of people who are different from you. If swords was suggesting murder of gays or blacks or Jews or middle class white American men his butt would be kicked just as fast.

Swords hasn't advocated torture and murder of an entire sect of people guys. Settle down.

He has implied that one entire sect of people is in favor of murder and torture!
same thing..

Sorry..but swords really cant be defended here..
sure, maybe his hate speech isnt "quite as bad"..
but are we allowing SOME hate speech here and not others?
have we set an "allowable degree"?
Where has the line been drawn?

Dimka said one group of people would like to torture another group of people.
because one group is percieved to be "inferior" to the other.

Swords said one group of people would like to torture another group of people.

the implication is exactly the same..
the only difference is which group Dimka and Swords are in..
but the hate speech is still identical..
its still hate speech based on fear, hate, and negative stereotypes.

so..I guess you all agree some hate speech gets a pass and others doesnt?
if the hate speech is directed at conservates, its allowed here?

I just want to make sure I understand..

Scot

No there isn't.

If you want us to start banning people just cause you do not like what they are saying then I refer you the the old poem:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

Or a more modern version:

First they put away the dealers,
keep our kids safe and off the street.
Then they put away the prostitutes,
keep married men cloistered at home.
Then they shooed away the bums,
then they beat and bashed the queers,
turned away asylum-seekers,
fed us suspicions and fears.
We didn't raise our voice,
we didn't make a fuss.
It's funny there was no one left to notice
when they came for us.

Either way, the point is, if you really think we should bow to your dictation ad ban the people you do not like then do not make a fuss when someone asks us to ban you and we do it.

(And no I am not going to ban anyone just because someone asks me to. I am just making a point in the most blunt way possible)

>He has implied that one entire sect of people is in favor of murder and torture! same thing..>

I agree. Hate is hate no matter if it's directed at one person or a whole group.

> if you really want to hear specific stories of how hateful "Christians" have been to me>

I'm sorry that you had that experience. Please remember that not everyone who says they are, really are. The term Christian means Christ-like. Anyone not living according to Christ's example, seriously needs to be given some thought as to if they are or not.

Hell is a choice, not a mandate that any person makes on another. We are each to work out our own salvation, not judge each other.

We all have our flaws. Lets say you have a toothpick in your eye, but I have a telephone pole in my eye. I can't get near you to criticize you for your flaw without hitting you with mine.

Fine then..
the position is clear..

hate speech and negative sterotypes by liberals about conservatives is perfecty fine here on terraforums..have at it!

hate speech and negative sterotypes by conservates about liberals is not allowed..got it now, thanks.

no different that the real world really..
the same double standard exists everywhere.

I was hoping there would be fair treatment here..guess not.

the world hasnt quite changed as much as some of you were hoping for..
there is still a long way to go..

Scot

Too true, Scot. Probably will always be that way.

He has implied that one entire sect of people is in favor of murder and torture!
same thing..

No he implied that one specific person would like to do that to him. World of difference.

Sorry..but swords really cant be defended here..
sure, maybe his hate speech isnt "quite as bad"..
but are we allowing SOME hate speech here and not others?
have we set an "allowable degree"?
Where has the line been drawn?

The Mods do not see swords comments as hate speech. If you find what he posts so godblessed offensive then why is it you never made use of the "report" function?!?! Instead you wait till the Mods make an action against a blatant offense and then try to lump every thing you do not like into the same boat.

Dimka said one group of people would like to torture another group of people.

Swords said one group of people would like to torture another group of people.

the implication is exactly the same..

NO they are not exactly the same unless it is by someone stretching to make a point.

the only difference is which group Dimka and Swords are in..

And what groups would those be pray tell? People who are hate mongers and people who have a sharp tongue a quick with and a bit of a smartass streak? You are bloody right they are in different groups.

so..I guess you all agree some hate speech gets a pass and others doesnt?
if the hate speech is directed at conservates, its allowed here?

This IS NOT ABOUT CONSERVATIVE OR LIBERAL leanings and I will thank you to quite trying to drag it that way. I would have kicked anyone who said what Dimka said from here to the moon be the conservative, liberal or hedonist. There is a world of difference between what the actual offense is here and what you are making it out to be. It has not one blasted thing to do with political leanings. I did not even vote cause I think both parties suck. I have no political leanings and I could give a rip less what yours are or Dimkas are or swords are. Dimka was hate mongering. Swords is just talking trash about Palin and the conservative. If you can not see the difference between the two the the myopia is yours.

I just want to make sure I understand..

Okay, here is what should be understood. I said this in the thread where I was questioned about banning Rattler and I will say it again here. The Mods and Admin make the decisions and the members (and that includes you) do not get to dictate to us who does and does not get banned. If you do not like that policy then no one is forcing you to stay here.

End.

We all have our flaws. Lets say you have a toothpick in your eye, but I have a telephone pole in my eye. I can't get near you to criticize you for your flaw without hitting you with mine.

Comment not on the mote in thine brothers eye whilst ignoring the plank in thine own. :)

A very good quote and one I have often resorted to using against people who claim to be Christian and yet see fit to lay in to me and others who are not like them.

I do understand what you are getting at my friend but for me the majority of people who claim to be "Christian" (note I am not saying all, I have indeed met some true Christians) are judgmental and hateful of anyone who does not see the world as they think it should be.

Fine then..
the position is clear..

hate speech and negative sterotypes by liberals about conservatives is perfecty fine here on terraforums..have at it!

hate speech and negative sterotypes by conservates about liberals is not allowed..got it now, thanks.

Scot

Huge difference. Here is how the "real" world of TF works:

Hate speech is s not allowed. PERIOD

Negative stereotypes by conservatives about liberals... Have at it as long as you are civil

Negative stereotypes by liberals about conservatives... Have at it as long as you are civil

Advocating the murder of homosexuals has not one bloody thing to do with party lines. I say it again, if you do not see that then the myopia is your own.

And with that I really am done.

I can only speak for myself and not the other Mods.

His second comment I personally see as a nothing more than heavy sarcasm. Yes it is critical of Palin but he has just as much right to gripe about her as you have to gripe about Obama. In this thread alone the new President elect has been referred to as a terrorist and a heathen and scads of other things and yet none of you take issue with that but swords "disrespects" Palin by saying she wants to draw and quartet him and suddenly it is not okay to talk trash about a politician.

2) Swords is not being a hate monger. Talking trash about Palin or the Republican party is a world away from advocating torture and murder upon a whole group of people who are different from you. If swords was suggesting murder of gays or blacks or Jews or middle class white American men his butt would be kicked just as fast.

That arguement doesnt hold water legally..
you are basically saying its OK what swords said because he said it in a Joking or sarcastic manner..

Guy tells a "gay joke" at work..
someone overhears it, is offended, and complains to the boss.
boss says "whats the big deal? its just a joke..you need to get a thicker skin if you want to work here!"

thats illegal..the boss could be fired for that.

You are defending swords in the same way.
its more than "trash talk"..its offensive hate speech.
so because im the one offended, im the one with the problem right?
I should just learn to "take a joke"?
negative stereotypes and offensive "jokes" about "my kind of people" are just fine?

seriously..
its not just a joke..
it crossed the line into "genuinely offensive" several times..
a joke doesnt have to be only "about murder" to pass the offensive test.
plenty of racial and gay "jokes" arent about murder..
The fact that one person mentioned "murder" and the other didnt is totally irrelevant.

A mod quickly changed the subject line of Swords thread..because it was obviously offensive!
but yet..no banning.

thats all im saying..
IMO, its not equal and fair treatment..

and with that, im done too..

Scot

Fine then..
the position is clear..

Scot

You're exactly right Scot. I've mentioned in the past these same double standards and it only fell on deaf ears. Swords has been preaching hate speech towards Christians and Conservatives for awhile now and I agree that it is unfair for anyone here to be posting hatred towards one group or another. If Dimka's comments were towards Christians, or religion and those who follow one, he wouldn't be banned right now.

Okay, here is what should be understood. I said this in the thread where I was questioned about banning Rattler and I will say it again here. The Mods and Admin make the decisions and the members (and that includes you) do not get to dictate to us who does and does not get banned. If you do not like that policy then no one is forcing you to stay here.

End.

Nobody here is asking to dictate to the moderators what to do. What is being asked is for fairness. Maybe it's time we get some variety in our moderation staff, because there have been several cases where you and other admins cannot detect blatant hate speech towards other members on this forum.

Pyro, just don't get scared away of believing in something because of false representatives. People will always disappoint you. Don't look to people for example.

Scot's right, joking or not, hate is hate. Jokes don't diminish hate.

>If Dimka's comments were towards Christians he wouldn't be banned right now.>

Somehow, I find that very likely...

Back