What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month, 90th Anniversary

In honour of Armistice Day, Veteran's Day and Remembrance Day here is a copy of the very rare German radio version of Eric Bogle's "No Man's Land/Green Fields of France"

"The War to end all Wars"

http://geocities.com/butchtincher/music/nomans.mp3

(A special thank you to Crissy for helping me capture and clean up the audio file)

Verified remaining veterans of the First World War—10 veterans

On 27 June 2006, the British Government approved a National Memorial Service at Westminster Abbey to take place after the death of the last known WWI veteran.

Similarly, on 21 November 2006, the Canadian House of Commons approved a state funeral for the last World War I veteran to have served in the Canadian forces to die.

This will now go to John Babcock. On 19 March 2008, Frank Buckles was approved for burial at Arlington National Cemetery upon his death.

Although John Campbell Ross is the last known Australian veteran he did not see active service and the Australian state funeral was given for William Evan Allan on 25 October 2005.

Simlarly on 17 March 2008, despite the existence of Pierre Picault and Fernand Goux, Lazare Ponticelli received the French state funeral as the last poilu officially recognized by the French government.

Residence Name Date of Birth Age Nationality Force served Notes

Australia Choules, Claude Stanley 01901-03-03 3 March 1901 107 English Royal Navy Joined the Royal Navy in 1916. Emigrated to Australia in 1920 and served with Royal Australian Navy in the Second World War. Lives in Perth, Western Australia.

Australia Ross, John Campbell (Jack) 01899-03-11 11 March 1899 109 Australian Australian Army 1st AIF Wireless operator and last Australian digger. Did not see active service. Ross is Australia's oldest man.

France Goux, Fernand 01899-12-31 31 December 1899 108 French French Army
First 85th, then 82nd Infantry Regiment Called to service on 19 April 1918. One of the last two soldiers who fought in the trenches, along with Harry Patch of Britain. Excluded from French government lists as it only counts those with more than three months of combat service.

France Picault, Pierre 01899-02-27 27 February 1899 109 French French Army France's oldest man.

United Kingdom Allingham, Henry William 01896-06-06 6 June 1896 112 English Number 12 Squadron RNAS (later RAF) The last known survivor of the Battle of Jutland. Is the oldest European man.

United Kingdom Hughes, Netherwood (Ned) 01900-06-12 12 June 1900 108 English British Army 51st Manchester Regiment Did not see action (was still in training). Lives in Clayton-le-Moors, Lancashire.

United Kingdom Patch, Henry John (Harry) 01898-06-17 17 June 1898 110 English British Army 7th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry Last British soldier who fought in the trenches.

United Kingdom Stone, William Frederick (Bill) 01900-09-23 23 September 1900 108 English Royal Navy Did not see action (was still in training), but is also a WWII veteran.

United States Babcock, John Henry Foster (Jack) 01900-07-23 23 July 1900 108 Canadian First 146th Battalion, CEF, then Boys Battalion Completed basic training, but did not see action (held back in reserves in England due to age). Moved to US in 1924 and resides in Spokane, Washington.

United States Buckles, Frank Woodruff 01901-02-01 1 February 1901 107 American United States Army 1st Fort Riley Casual Detachment Last US veteran. Served overseas and now resides in Charles Town, West Virginia.

http://www.factualtv.com/Voices-of-War-A-Soldiers-Voice#

For all our brothers and sisters who serve or have served,
Lest We Forget

HAPPY VETERANS' DAY/REMEMBRANCE DAY!
ani-veteran-120x156.gif

YES! Both of my grandfathers are WWII vets. I should call them.

Thank you to all the veterans who put themselves in harms way for our freedom. And expecially for those who gave their life for us. ....I hope you've found your peace, Paul.

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest we forget

Thanks to all for not only the ability to speak my mind but the ability to have discourse with those of all opinoins no matter how stupid they may be. Just my opinion of course ! Thanks to my Grandfather, Father and Brother for their service.

Bump!

Lest we forget

oh yea...wow!

While most people will complain that our liberties are slowly being leached out of our very hands, we are still the land of the free and home of the brave despite even all of the protests going on in the world. Thanks to everyone who made it possible :)

In celebration, I will use my freedom to celebrate by eating gluttonously and watching scantily clad women compete for which is the most beautiful: Ben and Jerry's Phish Food ice cream, and America's Next Top Model; here I come! :-))

Dang! you ruined my thread idea. I was going to post it at 11/11/11 at 11:11:11... but I guess this post will have to do.

WHOO! :boogie:

To honour, fidelity, virtue, and cause. To Liberty.

Back