What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Humidity

Humidityhttp://***************/index.php?main_page=page&id=80&chapter=10

nvm delete but there is a web saying you dont need humidity and their plants are real pretty
cobra-plant in the ***'s but no -. If im breaking rules delete the thing please.

Is the domain name a "profane" word? The domain name is ****** which on this site indicates a word the forum's auto censor changed.

High humidity is not necessary for a lot carnivorous plants. What genus are you referring to? Some do require higher humidity for optimal growth, but for some it is not a necessity.

xvart.

edit: the reason the webpage is blocked is because the website is shop that sells carnivorous plants, and those are blocked out.

High humidity is not necessary for a lot carnivorous plants. What genus are you referring to? Some do require higher humidity for optimal growth, but for some it is not a necessity.

xvart.

edit: the reason the webpage is blocked is because the website is shop that sells carnivorous plants, and those are blocked out.

I'm talking about Most of the plants. Nepenthes,Dionaea,Sarracenia,Pings, and many more.

depends on variety and species with Neps.....ive gotten x Ventrata to pitcher in 15%......the veitchii grew fine in low humidity but refused to pitcher in anything under bout 60%....other species such as bical need high humidity to grow well.....

Pings, high humidity not needed

VFT's helpful but not required

Sarr's not really, least for the hybrids i grew

Drosera, some species yes, most no.........

I noticed significant differences between Nep species during winter when the indoor air stays pretty dry. N veitchii, in particular, seems especially immune to low humidity, but my N maxima does pretty well. My Sarrs and VFTs stay outside and, in CT, only really know high humidity. Where & how do you plan to grow CPs? Knowing that might help people answer the question.

By the way, humidity is a poor measure of the degree of evapotranspirative stress a plant faces. Coastal Alabama is considered a pretty humid place, but when the temperature hits the upper 90s on a breezy & sunny summer day, a Sarracenia is facing drying forces that are nearly as severe as if it were in Utah. But the AL plant will spend hours in 100% humidity the following morning and can recover for another day. Most plants do much of their photosynthesizing during the morning and shut down by mid-afternoon because of water stress, no matter where they are.

Back