What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hunting the flat side of Montana(no dead critter pics)

was to wet to do any serious hunting even though the top 1/2 inch of soil is only barely damp, still sticky enough to make Kate and i 3 inches taller when we got back from the hike than when we started.......ran into a spike mule deer whos feet were three times bigger than they should be due to the sticky stuff......this is all an ancient sea bed dating to the last portion of the age of dinosaurs.......other than a few sandstone or siltstone areas its all finely grained pure clay that turns tacky when just damp and to axle grease when soaked.......

will be going back here in a week or two hopefully when it drys out some......

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Places where I lived in the south had clay like that and I remember that accumulative effect. I don't miss it. We don't have that kind of clay in the northeast. The geologist in me says our clay is clay-sized fragments of non-clay minerals, unlike the authentic stuff you have.

i love northeast Montana.....but cant help but think if i was in western Montana these days of 1/12 inch of rain wouldnt keep me from hunting :D but i dont feel like getting stuck down in the bottom waiting for it to either dry or freeze so i can get bak out........there are a couple places where the main roads going down have signs that say carry ATLEAST 3 days worth of supplies cause if your down there when it rains your stuck for awhile....

i loved it out west best part of the country

You call that flat!?

Wow, it's looks so serene.

compared to the other side of the state.............yeah its quite flat :D

should see if i can convince the wife to let us go looking for elk down at Bone Trail 15-20 miles west of those pics......unfortunately she has said im not allowed back there again as i almost didnt make it back out the last time.......damn sandstone cliff was easy to get down......going back up really did almost kill me......would have had my wife not been there to grab me, woulda been a 30 foot drop onto large busted up chunks of sandstone......cool piece of country though and i didnt have a camera with me the last time so i want to go back

Back