What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP Stencil

• Thread starter Maxx
  • Start date

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
Hey,

One of my other hobbies is making skateboards. I wanted to put some custom graphics on the bottom. I make it simple here,

Old pic of Judith Hindle + photoshop=

Judith+Hindle+Stencil+Better.jpg

Tell me what ya think.

-Max

Looks good to me! Ive never seen a skate board with carnivorous plants on it.Take a picture of the skate board when you finish it if you can.

Yeah I haven't either. I got this idea from the skateboard brand Arbor. Their logo was a tree thingy so I decided to make one of carnivorous plants. I definetly will try this on my next board.

It'll look awesome! I wish you luck :)

Yeah, I agree, this will look really good.
I would have said try a vft, but everyone knows about vfts, so a sarr makes it more interesting.

Do a Pinguicula!

Just kidding :D

Yeah, that would be difficult! :-))

do a few layers man would make it look allot cooler

Cool idea! Maxx do you do screens or hand paint them or some other process? I've heard that some newer decks are actual paper prints (stickers?) laminated over wood decks. That would be nice for good reproduction but how's something like that (embedded paper) handle in wear and tear?

I got into doing decks a few years ago (2005) for my online zine Battle Helm, I did a goblin (orc?) in a battle helmet and a heavy metal hand in cut off gloves (making the "devil horns"). I did screens for them but it's kinda messy (wood doesn't absorb ink like tee shirt material does) and screw ups are way costly compared to blank tees. I made a very short run of 25 each design. I think if I did any decks again I'd have them done by someone else, just send them the art and wait for the shiny decks to come back all ready for tape and trucks. Which, including screw ups would cost me the same as DIY anyway! :)

do a few layers man would make it look allot cooler

What do you mean layers. Like blend in some colors?

Oh and I just finshed this one. It's obregon562's mantis posing with it's dinner.

Mantis+Stencil.jpg

Maxx do you do screens or hand paint them or some other process?
I got into doing decks a few years ago (2005) for my online zine Battle Helm, I did a goblin (orc?) in a battle helmet and a heavy metal hand in cut off gloves (the two fingers up). I did screens for them but it's kinda messy (wood doesn't absorb ink like tee shirt material does) and screw ups are way costly compared to blank tees! I made a very short run of 25 each design. I think if I did any decks again I'd have them done by someone else, just send them the art and wait for the shiny decks to come back all ready for tape and trucks! :)

I don't screen them (I'm not that in-depth yet). I usaully hand-paint them using mostly abstract designs (easier to paint) or wood stain them. I want to try sealing in a transparency image though. I'm planning on building a simple press right now for concave and all that stuff. Here's a board I just finshed.

Skateboard+002.jpg

Cool!
I changed my Zorlac "Gargoyle" skateboard into the original Zorlac Metallica fishtail shape in shop class cos the original Gargoyle deck shape looked like a 2 1/2 foot long *******! I don't know how they came up with that design, it was hilarious but I had to change it. I loved Pushead's art, it was so perfect for skateboards. I always liked that he and Zorlac made every deck model an original shape, not all the "cigar butts" you see kids on today. As you maybe can tell I haven't been in a skateshop since 1989 or so. I don't even know if Zorlac Skates is out there anymore...

like this
3044623773_91d6707600_o.jpg

Basicaly What you would do is Think of it as layers. Their are 3 layers in this picture.

You cut out the whole outer shape, like you are doing in the Mantis one.

In this Ceph image it would be the Black.

Then you cut out just the gray
then the light gray

You would first spray paint the Black. (im assuming your using spray paint) Then line up the X's (you cute these out on each sheet of paper) and spray paint the gray then the light gray.

It makes it look REAL cool, trust me. Just make sure to use different colors.

Yeah! Spray paint stencil!
We used to put Cr@ss symbols on "stuff" (not our stuff) when we were young and foolish using a similar model of stencil and spray-on application! ;)

Trust me, its fun especially when you get NICE and big stencils, and you go and put it on stuff. Ill have to show you one of the stencils I made, I wonder if its still their though. lol

like this
3044623773_91d6707600_o.jpg

Basicaly What you would do is Think of it as layers. Their are 3 layers in this picture.

You cut out the whole outer shape, like you are doing in the Mantis one.

In this Ceph image it would be the Black.

Then you cut out just the gray
then the light gray

You would first spray paint the Black. (im assuming your using spray paint) Then line up the X's (you cute these out on each sheet of paper) and spray paint the gray then the light gray.

It makes it look REAL cool, trust me. Just make sure to use different colors.
That looks sweet! So how would I go about setting that up? Putting the picture in grayscale then separting each color into a different layer?

Ill have to show you one of the stencils I made, I wonder if its still their though. lol
lol! All our decorations are gone now but that was more than a decade ago, hell almost two! That's scary to think about!

Cool!
I changed my Zorlac "Gargoyle" skateboard into the original Zorlac Metallica fishtail shape in shop class cos the original Gargoyle deck shape looked like a 2 1/2 foot long *******! I don't know how they came up with that design, it was hilarious but I had to change it. I loved Pushead's art, it was so perfect for skateboards. I always liked that he and Zorlac made every deck model an original shape, not all the "cigar butts" you see kids on today. As you maybe can tell I haven't been in a skateshop since 1989 or so. I don't even know if Zorlac Skates is out there anymore...

Yea, I try to make all my boards different form each other. I honestly see too many of those little "Stinger" boards around now.

First I would erase most of every thing I don't want in the picture, even some of the hairs that were in the original picture, I erased.

Then I took the selecting tool (I cant think of what its called but it selects what ever you run the pointer over), and went around making sure that it didnt completely select the whole image that I want work done on. Erase parts of the image that arent neccisary.

My reasoning is that with stencils you want it NICE and simple, nothing to complicated, so if a few things are missing from the orginal image no ones going to really know except for you.

I would then desaturate and simplify the image, I would put layers down to three, mess with the line fidelity, things like that, so that it would be easy to cut out.

I then go into the image and simply fine the lines using my own judgment, making sure to get rid of things that arent needed, or that over crowed the image or make it a little to complicated.

Whats left is printing out three coppies, cutting out a color on each, and then Spray Painting them! I suggest using an Exacto Knife, and maybe copying the stencils onto Thick Card Board, that way it can be used multiple times!

Good luck.

What a great idea! I can't wait to see the finished product :)

Back