What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sphagnum

upper

Capensis Killer
when trying to growing sphagnum outdoor, in shade, would it be a bad idea to cover it up? or at least partially cover it up

If it is in shade you don't need to cover it up, the purpose of covering something up is mostly to provide shade. Shade is useful for preventing the tips of the moss from drying out, but with plenty of water you can grow the moss in full sun without this happening. Sphagnum likes water so I doubt you are covering it up to shelter it from the rain. I have two pots of sphagnum from a batch that was given me, I have them inside under flourescents and one has a base of peat moss and the other has no base, there is no difference in the growth rate between either pots.
I've also grown sphagnum as a semi aquatic in shallow water less than 1/4".

If the moss is new you will have to keep wetting it daily possibly several times a day until it is established. Once established moss uses less water but still keep an eye on it.

lol, the purpose that i wanted to cover it up is to raise humidity, thus using less water too. it doesnt rain often here. so by covering it up i mean to keep the humidity in. but that's great to hear that you dont have to cover it up either way.when you say establish do you mean it sends the sphagnum higher? or does the sphagnum dig deeper?

When it digs deeper. Sphagnum does not have true roots, just things that resemble roots to anchor them to the soil. Sphagnum will wick up water like a piece of rope in a glass. Sphagnum moss is established when it becomes more efficient at wicking up water from it's new home.

Sphagnum is an interesting beast. When you either do not want it around or simply do not care - it grows prolifically. When you dedicate a growing container to it to get some bulk - it struggles.

While this isn't entirely true - I seem to be able to grow it inside under lights but outside, uncovered & alone - not. If it's in a Sarracenia pot outside as top dressing or simply as a part of the media - it grows like a weed.

yeah, i know the little thing that resemble roots that you're talking about, does it stretch deeper down like roots? or does it only keep growing up top?
and i get what you're saying, when i try to grow it, it never grows, then when i finally gave up, it started growing...

Interesting... All I did was right click, properties, select all, copy, link, and paste. Looks like the numbers came with the url. What do the numbers do... advertize geocities?

evidently, and geo is going to add them when you visit, even if they are already there... I dont know if it still works but there use to be a workaround, but geo gets hissy if they catch ya doing it

cough cough... use flash cough cough LOL

I should update that page at some point, but oh well... its still good enuff and i hate html
Av

Yes, I've linked Butch's page many a time in reference to growing Sphagnum along with this page:

http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/~temsch/basics.html

Sphagnum grows basically in one direction - upwards - since the tail end is usually dead.

You just put it into a tub, keep it wet and give it light and it grows like, well...er... moss.

sorry, i just wanted to know if it was a good idea to cover it up if its in the shade to keep it humid and having to water less.

sorry?

DOH! if anything our bad for the information overload...

Very impressive research! I skimmed through it but wish I had time to study it. I was an Environmental Science major and that would have been a great course or internship.

If you want to cover it, by all means do so. Just remember you cooked it once by covering it. You might risk increased algae or fungus growth which could be fatal.

Back