What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new focus

Well, I haven't posted in awhile but I've been thinking.
I've been growing carnivorous plants for the past 8 years and I find my interests expanding to look more into other endangered plants that I could add to my collection... any ideas?

A number of people here grow orchids. Are you thinking plants that have similar environmental requirements as CPs? If so, any number of bog plants are endangered, but many aren't that spectacular and, therefore, aren't readily available.

Orchids are great! My fave way to grow the majority of them is mounted on cork bark which simulates how many of them grow in the wild. Plus it saves floorspace in a terrarium by having the orchids growing vertically on the walls. The sad part of orchids is that they only bloom once or twice a year but sometimes they bloom for months on end so that's cool! If you get a small collection of different families of orchids you'll likely have them blooming on/off all year long. Just make sure you do some research on the ones you plan to get as some get huge and crowd a terrarium pretty quickly.

I also like rare ferns, miniatures and "ant ferns" especially, Ebay is good for that as well as rare Aroids.

Aroids, especially the Amorphophallus and related genres are cool but I usually kill them if they're the types which go dormant (into bulbs) so I've quit buying those. I'm saving more plants by NOT buying them! lol! ;)

Trying to stay away from the orchids... I'll most likely stick with bog plants.
OSIF! Bruce the pawpaw seeds you sent are growing like weeds.

When did I send them and how large are they? Let me know if you want to graft named varieties to them and I'll put away some cuttings for you to use next year. By the way, thanks for reminding me of pawpaw seeds - I still haven't sent this year's crop to those who asked for them.

I obtained a "Skunk cabbage" (Symplocarpus foetidi IIRC) once it's a bog/woodland aroid which blooms in the late winter. Poking it's surrealistic looking "shell" bloom through the march snow and the spathe (flower) heats up and melts the snow around it. For some reason it didn't do well for me, (perhaps it needed to be in ground outside and not outside in a huge pot) but that's a weird one which is available, on occasion.

Back