What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edible Pitcher?

Does anyone know which pitcher plant has edible nectar?

Its mentioned halfway threw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktIGVtKdgwo&feature=related

Thanks!

I have had the fluid from unopened Nepenthes pitchers (it's fairly sterile at that point) in the Philippines years back; and drinking it is a fairly common practice to those living near or simply hiking around in the mountains.

Funky tasting, like the water remaining from cooking asparagus, but "doable" . . .

Most pitchers have drinkable fluid - it's the stuff that gets to growing in the fluid once the pitchers open that's a problem. Did you know that a number of the indigenous peoples is the range of N. ampullaria use amp pitchers to prepare rice?
~Joe

Does Judith Hindle contain drinkable fluids?

You probably wouldn't want to LOL. Anyway, Neps have drinkable fluids and their nectar is sweeeet. I like to eat the nectar off my ventricosa :p

You probably wouldn't want to LOL. Anyway, Neps have drinkable fluids and their nectar is sweeeet. I like to eat the nectar off my ventricosa :p

This is how capensis saves money on getting high. LOL. :]

most nectar is very sweet. The pitcher fluid (of unopend pitchers) isnt really that bad IMO. I drink it. :)

i love the taste of the nectar of nepenthes

I've put the unopened pitcher fluid in my eye before when it was irritated. Refreshing!

how do u get the nector of an unopened/>??

how do u get the nector of an unopened/>??

They don't mean the nectar from an unopened pitcher, they mean the liquid inside the pitcher. The stuff that's full of bugs when it's open.

Nepenthe is the Nectar of the gods after all... ;)

The nectar of my old N. sanguinea orange seemed to be either metallic or even slightly "numbing" on the tongue compared to sweet like the N. bicalcarata which was a real "leaker"! lol!

Never drank the fluid from the bottom, had it spilled on me plenty of times while moving plants around though, getting hands all full of cricket exoskeletons and digestive juices!

Back