What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In the Name of Science!

• Thread starter Jimmy
  • Start date
I went to school most of my school life with a guy who acted like Polly Shore / Jar Jar Binks (Polly in star wars) long before there ever was a Polly or Jar Jar.
I might have had a 2 foot tall mohawk or other bizarre look through school but being around that guy was plain embarrassing! lol! :)

Look at this way... at least we would be able to have real cavemen do the commercials.

Look at this way... at least we would be able to have real cavemen do the commercials.

Thats so condescending to think they would lower themselves to being mere actors for our entertainment. LOL.

I'm pretty sure they'll be able to replicate the DNA from them (they've already taken it apart and determined they had red hair and green-brown eyes)

I have exactly one thing to say to this: :-))

As for the idea of cloning a Neandertal... I would not worry much about it happening anytime soon. This article goes a great gloss job to jump from Mammoth genome to Neandertal cloning. The truth of the matter is that only about 70% of the Mammoth genome was able to be sequenced (This is the largest amount of nuclear DNA from any ancient creature [and yes that includes Neandertals] to ever be sequenced) which leave a huge chunk unknown. Too large to even think about trying for a Mammoth. This article purposefully distorts the facts to then bend it around and make an ethical debate and that is absolutely idiotic.

If you want to get your science news please get it from an actual scientific source (Science, Nature, Cell, PubMed, etc) rather than an editorial...

Last edited:
Huh, apparently I'm not the only one who noticed that Firefox's spell checker changes Neandertal to Neanderthal. Pyro left his, while I let the spell check "fix" it for me....
Typical slippery-slope domesticated primate behavior, relegating decisions to "trusted" machinery. lol!

Huh, apparently I'm not the only one who noticed that Firefox's spell checker changes Neandertal to Neanderthal. Pyro left his, while I let the spell check "fix" it for me....

Technically both spellings are accepted, I just prefer the traditional spelling. My spell checker tags it as wrong without the "h", I just ignore it LOL

If it is done within our lifespan, I'd like to know which human Pryo would choose to go in the common jar with the Neandertal, and which he thinks would be devoured... :grin:

I just remember being corrected on it in school ("No H!") but being the trusting of machinery type, I thought maybe I was remembering being corrected, incorrectly? lol!

I checked now and Wikipedia doesn't register the H on auto-suggest when you start typing the word.

If it is done within our lifespan, I'd like to know which human Pryo would choose to go in the common jar with the Neandertal, and which he thinks would be devoured... :grin:

No, you really don't want to know who I would put in the jar. But I'd bet on the Neandertal winning :)

@ Swords, most of the US press (and I am assuming that is why Wiki is hitting it this way) use the "H" because the US was brought up pronouncing it with the "th" sound. Most of Europe goes with the "original" German name for the valley

It is pronounced that way by most everyone, even myself if I don't catch myself (or have it underlined by spell check if I do happen to spell it "right").
Sometimes I like to imagine the nervous ticks that teacher must have gone through over his career being so authoritarian about that H! lol! :)

It is pronounced that way by most everyone, even myself if I don't catch myself

Yeah very few people pronounce it the German way (I am not a phonetic typist but think: Nan-der-tal). My wife mocks me for pronouncing it that way. Story of our society, we pronounce it how we want never mind if it is right or wrong. Do not even get me started on how most of the population of Colorado (read "Californian transplants") pronounce the name of the town Buena Vista...

I feel ya. I live in small town in MN (say "ya you know" with your nose squeezed shut to aproximate the Fargo dialect) and I work late nights in a building full of assorted immigrants who only speak an english word here or there seemingly by accident, lol!

Why does Jurrasic Park come to mind? Next thing ya know, 'Newman' will be selling test tube babies on the balck market!

Back