What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedling Packing Guide

I thought I would share my method of packing and shipping seedlings. I have shipped several Nepenthes and Drosera seedlings recently, using this method.

1. Bareroot the seedlings.

IMG_7327.jpg

2. Put them in a small, rigid, plastic container, carefully placed between strands of long-fiber sphagnum.

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7324.jpg

3. Cap container(s) and put inside of a plastic bag.

IMG_7333.jpg

4. Place inside of a big, yellow, bubblewrap-lined envelope.

IMG_7334.jpg

5. Seal and address envelope. Hint: Better-looking envelopes and packages get treated better in the mail system. ;)

IMG_7328.jpg

6. Bring the envelope to the Post Office. You will be charged about $1.51 (3oz) or $1.64 (4 oz). Alternatively, you could weigh the envelope at home, find the postage rates online, put the needed number of stamps on the envelope, and drop it in a mailing bin.

IMG_7335.jpg

List of things I've sent so far using this method:

N. splendiana x ((veitchii x maxima) x veitchii) seedlings
N. splendiana x (rokko x stenophylla) seedlings
N. albomarginata 'Gunung Jerai' seedlings
N. sanguinea plantlets with 3/4 lb fir bark and LFS :D
D. ordensis seedlings

As far as I know, there were no casualties, even with the ones sent in late fall. :)

Thanks for sharing the written and visual guide! That should help cut down on shipping issues.

And costs! ;)

Where do you get those circular cells? The seedlings you sent me were packaged wonderfully.

lol actually ive been doing similar for years.....my container of choice has been 35mm film canisters as the paper has a 1 hour photolab.........as you have found it works VERY well for small, delicate plants

Clever. I'm kinda too cheap for even this method, but I see how this is safer.

see if there is a photo lab near you, they may give you 35mm canisters.....

That's an excellent system and thanks for the step-by-step photos. Given the value of what we ship, in money or in growing effort, the small extra cost/effort to do it right is worth it. What I'll add is that harsh weather requires better insulation and that a 2nd layer of insulation (plus paying attention to weather forecasts at the receiving end) can work wonders, both in cold weather and in hot, sunny weather.

Clever. I'm kinda too cheap for even this method, but I see how this is safer.

Anyone in your household take any prescriptions? I like to re-use those containers for things like this or holding loose items like change. Fun fact: a large pill container holds 15 dollars in quarters perfectly. :p

@ Mr. Truncata: Those round, celled containers were found around the house. ;) Actually, my mother orders Stampin' Up (???) supplies every now and then, and I got away with a few of them. They used to contain grommets, brads, etc.

@ Rattler: Yep, photo canisters are very good! I just can't find them anymore - we've been using digital cameras for the past few years...But any rigid plastic container works well.

@ Bruce: Excellent pointers!

@ Est: Lol!

Back