What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raising meal worms - keeping Indian Meal Moths out

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
I found the other threads about raising them here, but neither of them specifically address this issue.

I found a great site about raising them:
http://www.sialis.org/raisingmealworms.htm

And it does mention these pests. I have had problems with these in rice and cereals before. Indian Meal Moths seem to be able to get into anything; even chewing holes in sacks?

Regarding these, the article says, "Brown moths (typically Indian Meal Moths, a common pantry pest that infests birdseed and cereal) may be attracted to the mealworm bedding. If they get into the farm, they make a sticky web almost like cotton candy."

"To prevent this, some people store farms outdoors during warmer weather."

These always come around during winter here.

"I put individual containers inside a larger bin with a screen hot-glued to the top."

I don't see how a screen will keep them from getting in if, according to past encounters, they seem to be able to chew their way in?

Maybe they can't get into something tougher than a plastic sack, like a rubbermaid container? If not, what size holes should be made in the lid to provide ventilation to the meal worms and yet keep out pests?

"A "pantry-pest" trap using pherhormones can be used to trap adult moths."

Well, spending money on those defeats the purpose of raising your own meal worms doesn't it...

"Microwaving cereals (e.g., 2 minutes), or freezing birdseed and cereals will kill moth larvae that may come in the packaged products. "

That would work as a cure, provided you sift out your meal worms and beetles, but what about a preventative?

Does anyone have a good way of keeping these pests out without completely sealing up the meal worm container... which of course isn't possible?

Thanks for any info!

"A "pantry-pest" trap using pherhormones can be used to trap adult moths."
I would get some of these immediately. These moths are a nightmare & incredibly difficult to completely eradicate. We found nothing else worked including trying to seal everything inside tupperware containers. They're incredible critters ... :censor:

We found nothing else worked including trying to seal everything inside tupperware containers.

Ugg! Not even tupperware! That is the tightest sealing thing around. I don't currently have any, but I am expecting that a semi-sealed container of oats will draw them in from somewhere.

In the past, I just threw out whatever they got into. Or froze it, if it was something the birds could eat - moths and all.

Do you know how long the pherhormone traps remain good for, or how often they should be replaced?

Thanks!

Back