What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's Your Favorite Band(s)?

• Thread starter obregon562
  • Start date

obregon562

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating.
Supporter
Hey TF,

Im starting a new whats your favorite ____ ? thread. this one is BANDS! I love music, namely blues and rock (classic, psyc, etc...).

I have a few:

Chicago
Steely Dan
Boston
Doobies

And to think, these bands are ~15+ years older than me! :-O

How about you guys?

linkin park.

I like just about all classic rock.... tops from that would be:
Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Hendrix
Neil Young
and many more....

I'm very selective about my newer music, I don't like very much of it... tops:
The Shins
Arcade Fire
Coldplay
The White Stripes
Radiohead

Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Ricky Nelson, Beatles, Stones, DC 5, Hermans Hermits, Pet Clark, Monkees, Beach Boys, CCR, Neil Diamond, Archies, 1910 Fruitgum Co., Ohio Express, Andy Kim, Tommy Roe, Osmonds, Jackson 5, Johnny Rivers, Supremes, 4 Seasons, 4 Tops, Bay City Rollers, ELO, Elton John, Olivia Newton- John, Linda Ronstadt, Steve Miller, Boney M, Glen Campbell, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Boston, Slade, Sweet, DuranDuran, Flock Of Seagulls, Josie Cotton, Culture Club, ABBA, Go Go's, Bangles, Bananarama, Rick Astley, John Cougar Mellancamp, Bruce Springsteen, Rick Springfield, Gloria Gaynor, Donna Summer, KC & Sunshine Band, Debbie Gibson, Belinda Carlisle, Sheryl Crowe, Misssing Persons, Dave Edmunds, Billy Joel, Simon & Garfunkel, Paul Simon, Byrds, Animals, REM, Erasure, ZZ Top, Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, Billy Idol, Human League, Simple Minds, Wham, Tommy James, BTO, Brownsville Station, Eurythmics, Ramones, Stray Cats, Blondie, Madonna, New Order, Pat Benatar, Survivor, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Apollogetix, and a few others.

StrungOut
Lagwagon
Millencolin
Social Distortion
Dire Straits

( [singing] One of these things is not like the others... [singing] )

I'm very selective about my newer music, I don't like very much of it..
Me either, but that's cos we're "too old"! ;)

But I still like plenty of loud music like punk / metal:

Mercyful Fate & King Diamond
Manowar
Venom
Motorhead
Witchfynde
Dark Throne
Tiamat & Lucyfire
Dead Kennedys / any projects with Jello Biafra writing lyrics
Amebix
Carcass
Iron Maiden
Bathory
Gamma Ray / Iron Savior
Blind Guardian
W.A.S.P.
...after being a metal zine record reviewer for 15 years my list of "favorites" definitely goes on and on...

dark / ambient / classical / etc.:
Brighter Death Now
Mortiis
Laibach
Beethoven
Wagner
WW2 German Marches (even though I'm totally anti-fascist I love this crap somehow)
Tangerine Dream
Trans Siberian Orchestra (AKA the metal band Savatage)

I also count poetry / spoken word / lectures / presentations / interviews, etc as "music" so I collect that stuff too, my biggest collections are of:
Robert Anton Wilson
Terrence McKenna
Noam Chomsky
William Burroughs
Allen Ginsburg
Jello Biafra
Christopher Hyatt
Anton LaVey

StrungOut
Lagwagon
Millencolin
Social Distortion
Dire Straits

( [singing] One of these things is not like the others... [singing] )

bet im one of the few here other than you who knows that band :D a buddy introduced me to them YEARS ago

my taste in music is horribly schizophrenic....my play lists drive my wife nuts...

like Pyro i listen to Dire Straits and Social Distortion and Lagwagon.......however i also listen to alot of Metallica, Kid Rock, Nickleback, Staind, Hinder aint bad, Blink 182(listened to these guys before they were on MTV).....been listening to Texas Hippy Coalition and Supersuckers lately....also listen to 60's rock and celtic bagpipes and some country along with some of the first couple of Eminem albums and some Dre and DMX to complete the pinball effect of my interests.......Sublime, Nirvana, Black Flag, Oasis, Flyleaf(was listening to these guys before they were well known here aswell) as well as a host of others also make an appearance in my MP3 player.........

In no paticular order...

Neil Young
CS&N
Buffalo Springfield
Crazy Horse
Nils Lofgren
Bob Dylan
Tom Petty
Cat Stevens
Simon & Garfunkel
Donovan
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
The Byrds
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy Guy
Roy Orbison
Chuck Berry
Johnny Cash
Elliott Smith
Amos Lee
Buddy Holly

and a few other i can't remember right now.

I don't really listen to much music, but one of the few bands I do like is System of a Down. Linkin Park is ok too.

All these Bands and no one has listed the greatest of them all

RUSH! :)

Lots of other good ones though, Sabbath, zepplin, Maiden, anything heavy (but not too heavy) metal. Some of the really heavy stuff just gets on my nerves, I don't see how anyone can listen to all the screaming!

I don't see how anyone can listen to all the screaming!
Then what you need is a copy of Finish band Impaled Nazarene's debut LP / CD "Tol Kompt Norz Norz Norz", very melodic and peaceful or else they wouldn't describe it as "Hyper-speed Industrial, cyber-punk sado-metal"! ;) Actually it's example of the most insane screaming vo-kills I've ever heard, nobody's ever topped this in all my years. A true landmark for screaming vocals!

Black Sabbath is some of the first music I can recall hearing as a kid, along with the sight of my parents, aunts and uncles "sharing cigarettes" lol!

Black Sabbath is some of the first music I can recall hearing as a kid, along the sight of my parents, aunts and uncles "sharing cigarettes" lol!

swords that explains so much right there!

i like in order from my favs to least fav are:

metallica
ac/dc
Beatles
linkin park

Gotta go with Steven Magee here. Rush, Zep, Maiden, Scorpions, Van Halen/Hagar, Def Leppard, America, Chicago, The Cure, I could go on but will stop. Can't forget Soundgarden live a Mabel's in Champaign !

Coldplay
BAM!!!!!!!! BOY

oh man i forgot about America, Flight of the Conchords, Scorpians, Sabbath, Hendrix, The Eagles, Hootie and the Blowfish, Low Brass/Trombone Jazz and Def Lepp! Im guess im a little eclectic haha. And forgetful. And...wait what? :D

Don't forget about bands with wild & crazy stage shows! Some of the best stuff I've seen:

Iron Maiden - the most expensive stage show I've seen yet

YES - stage sets by progressive rock artist Roger Dean

W.A.S.P. - metal, raw meat and fire

Gwar - seen them god knows how many times, I always wear a white tee shirt to soak up the "Gwar kool-aide" shot out of the props

Lizzy Borden - Never seen so many costume changes in one show, I used 3 rolls of film for their act

Black Sabbath with Dio - A giant robot spider VS Dio with a light sabre was awesome

KISS - what can you say?

Judas Priest - bikes, spikes and leather when I met Halford for an interview he gave me his spikey belt! Thankfully his leather trousers stayed up though! lol!

King Diamond - Them tour with "the house" and Conspiracy tour with the burning glass coffin

I've always liked bands who go the extra mile and make it a whole audio / visual experience no matter what concept they're going with.

Boston. I saw their concert in San Diego last summer. They had to replace a few people but they were still really good.

bet im one of the few here other than you who knows that band [Lagwagon]:D a buddy introduced me to them YEARS ago

I have been listening to them for around 15 years or so. Made me feel old when I saw the title of their new album:

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Older-B...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228219403&sr=8-1

Blink 182(listened to these guys before they were on MTV).....

Was listening to them 15 or so years ago too. They went to heII after the 'Dammit' album...

Back