What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

While I have been gone......

Just wanted to let you all know that I am still alive and kicking! :-)) I know I haven't been on here in a while, so I figured I would give you all an update as to what I have been up to.

I have been spending quite a bit of time up in Cadillac and Mom's house. We are in process of rearranging all the nep grow chambers as most of them have outgrown them. Let me tell ya....WOW are they getting BIG! I will have to get some pics and post them up so you all can see what a GREAT job Mom does at caring for the "kids" It will probably be about a month or so before I can get them posted as I want to wait until we get them all moved into their new home and established again.

I also managed to get a ticket this morning to race my car at "Pinks All Out!" They are going to be filming an episode at the race track that is only about 40 minutes from my house. There were only 400 tickets available that went on sale at 8:00am Monday the 1st and I managed to get one! They were sold out in 3 MINUTES!!!!! Now I have that to look forward to this summer......along with all the other race events that I go to every summer.

I also have some bad news to tell you guys as well. I will be out of the loop for a while this winter as I found out recently that I am going to have to have surgery on my back. I have an appointment with the Neurosurgeon on Thursday the 4th to discuss what he is going to do. I have known for a while that my back was bad as I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with 2 herniated discs and Degenerative Disc Disease. However, for the past year or so it has been getting A LOT worse. I had a CT Scan done about a month and a half ago and it showed I still have the herniated discs and the Degenerative Disc Disease (but they are worse). It also showed that I have bone spurs on my vertebrae, spinal stenosis, and arthritis forming in my spine. The last time that I talked to the surgeon he wanted me to get an MRI done to see the extent of the problems, which I had done on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. He called me today and said that he can help me and I have to go in and talk to him about it. The way I see it, the only way a surgeon can help you is to cut you open. He is thinking the best thing for me is do have a spinal fusion done of my lower back. :down:

Meanwhile, up here in Cadillac, Mom and I have been having a blast doing doughnuts in my truck! :-)) We have had non-stop snow for the last 3 days resulting in near-blizzard like conditions and 12+ inches of snow! :0o: Well, last night at around 10:30p Mom and I decide to brave the storm and go out "exploring".....let me tell you! We had such a blast! We didn't get home until almost 12:30a and I think we saw maybe 6-8 cars the whole time! Main expressway that runs up here (US-131) was barely a 2 track down the middle of each side! We actually stopped in the middle of the road that runs in front of the house and got out of the truck and took pictures! Saw some really neat decorated houses along the way too. Here are some pics that we took that night so you can get an idea of what it was like:

This is a picture taken at the end of Mom's driveway on the edge of highway 115 (snow on the windshield with an oncoming fellow nutcake! :-)) ):

DSCF4683.jpg

This is a really nicely decorated house that we happened upon during our expedition into the snowy abyss:

DSCF4691.jpg

By chance, do you notice something missing in this picture? Talk about a Ghost Town!:

DSCF4696.jpg

I see the sign.....but where exactly is the road located at?:

DSCF4699.jpg

These were the ONLY 2 vehicles on the expressway (US-131).....what brave souls! We sat there on the overpass to see cars pass for about 15 minutes and these 2 were the only ones! Nothing like driving down the middle of what once used to be a freeway!:

DSCF4702.jpg

What happened to highway 115?!?!:

DSCF4705.jpg

Is this supposed to be it? :0o: :

DSCF4704.jpg

And believe it or not.......IT IS STILL SNOWING!! :0o:

Sorry to hear about your back! I hope everything goes well and you will be healed afterwards!

Look at all that snow!!!! I love it! I want some snow :-( Stay safe
:)

Take care Jen ! Get fixed up so you can come off the line without screaming too much !

As for the snow, you can keep it all up there. That is whay you don't send to Niki !

a friends wife had some vertebra fused about a year ago....the rehab process was long but she is very happy she did it......good luck......

Well, talked to the surgeon and I have surgery scheduled for December 10, 2008 at 12:15p in Grand Rapids, MI.

Here is the lowdown on what the surgeon is going to be doing:

He is going to be removing the part of my spine that when you run your finger down the center of your back it feels bumpy, just over the two bad discs. He is then going to be putting pins and support rods into by back to support those vertebrae and fuse those two to my tailbone. Then he puts a bone graft in on either side of the metal supports to fuse that all together. Then he is going to look at my discs and see just how bad they are. On the MRI, discs are supposed to be white and round and the last two discs on my spine are flat and black. If they are too bad he is going to remove them and fill the space with another bone graft.

Like I said, I will be in the hospital for at least 4 days so feel free to stop by and say HI. After that I am going to be at home for probably 2 weeks before I am out and about again. Depending on how I feel and how the weather is, I might try to make the Holiday Party, provided someone is willing to drive me there and back. I will keep you all updated as much as I can as I will have my laptop with me in the hospital. Thanks for all of your well wishes and prayers. I will need that to get me through this. It is quite a scary thing to be facing, but I knew it was a matter of time and at least I don't have a long time to stew on it, as surgery is in 5 days......and counting.

Good luck! Hope you have a speedy recovery so you can enjoy yourself at Christmas. We'll be thinking of you!

Oh the snow looks fabulous!! *jealous*

*remembers my days in the OR taking images for spine surgery*....I miss the OR. (im an xray tech) Good luck with your surgery and just remember to take it easy and do your exercises when they give them to you..they are the key to a good recovery!! Let us know how it goes :)

Back