What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My definition of minimization

I had to describe minimization in my own words for a school assignment. I came up with this definition. I think it's spot on, what do you think?

Minimization
The justification of wrongful words or actions when the blame cannot be shifted to another and responsibility has to be taken by the individual.​
:D

Hmm... when I think of that word in that sense, it sounds like marginalize. You should also keep in mind the more concrete definition of minimize, which would be to make smaller; especially to make as small as possible. I bet you'd score extra points if you gave definitions for both uses.
~Joe

Hey... the link for minimization didn't work! Just kidding. "minimization" is exactly the rendering that O.J. Simpson was using to avoid admission of lying. He referred to it as "minimizing the damage". And now, finally, justice will be served.

Hmm... when I think of that word in that sense, it sounds like marginalize. You should also keep in mind the more concrete definition of minimize, which would be to make smaller; especially to make as small as possible. I bet you'd score extra points if you gave definitions for both uses.
~Joe

The assignment was to describe tactics used by people, like lying etc. I hear what your saying though.

completely wrong! Minimization is shrinking a page on your computer, duh. j/k Sounds good to me.

I think your definition is excellent for that most destructive form of minimization. As for SC's great example, it's too bad that didn't appear in the general forum so more of us would have seen it. That said, it was a kid (I think) who either didn't know better or used poor judgement or whatever, all things kids are wont to do. I did plenty myself back in the day. And like me way back then, the kid tried to escape with some classic minimization. Unfortunately, he hasn't posted again in Terraforums and who knows what lesson he took from this. We should be a little more gentle with people in these situations, to bring them over to our side.

Unfortunately, he hasn't posted again in Terraforums and who knows what lesson he took from this. We should be a little more gentle with people in these situations, to bring them over to our side.

I disagree..I think being "too gentle" is what leads people to "minimize" in the first place..
they are never taught responsibility, they are never told right from wrong..because that would be "mean" and "lower their self esteem"..

I think the lesson he took from this is probably very clear..because we were all very blunt and not "gentle"..
we "let him have it"..which was perfectly justified..
He probably hasnt posted again because of how we all reacted to his story..
and how we were "mean" to him and not gentle..
and personally I have no problem with that.
next time he is in a similar situation hopefully he will think twice before stealing plants.

We should be less gentle when people do things wrong..
we coddle our criminals far too much in our society.
they should be told, flat out, that what they did is very wrong and it sucks..
just like in that thread..

why beat around the bush about it?
just "tell it like it is"..
they need to learn..
IMO its much better to be direct and very clear.
"gentleness" is not called for in cases like that.

Children know stealing is wrong..
bit he wouldn't admit it was wrong..he "minimized" it..
its a classic example of DM's definition..

Scot

This reminds me of something I read recently - if you treat people as an enemy, they'll become your enemy. I'm not minimizing what he/she did, but we're up against lots of people who don't see anything wrong in taking seeds or a plant when there are so many others, whether at an arboretum or in the wild. So, when one of those people happens to stumble in here, instead of saying "you pretty much suck," we should point out the problem, why it matters and how many free plants are passed around by people here. That's 20/20 hindsight, by the way, and I might also have written "you pretty much suck" if I had seen the original post when it was live, as you did.

Back