What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you like oatmeal?

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bugs

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well, today I was going thourgh the house and I open a storage box for oatmeal bags and see something. A closer look I noticed there was a shed skin from a bug's larvea in there. Confused I removed some bags to find a TON of skins and beattles (all dead and like a few months old) on the bottom! I was confused on how they got there and ripped a few bags open and none were in there. So I just look at the other bags looking for holes and found a bag with one. I open it up are sure enough I find a lot more in there. GROSS! I am kinda worried, cuase my mom made cookies with that oatmeal! :puke2: I don't want to see another bag of oatmeal for awhile. Has anyone had anything similar happen to you?

I hate oatmeal. I really sincerely hate it. I hate it hate hate hate. It taste horrible. Hate. Hate. Hate. I hate it. I never liked it. Never ever ever.

Also I laughed @ when u said it in chatbox
<Ant>I just posted a thread

I love oatmeal and, if you add raisins when you cook it, you'll never notice another insect in it. Unless roaches get in your oatmeal; then you'll need to hide them with prunes.

Its just extra protein dont worry about it. 75% of the world has some form of insect on the menu so if you eat them you are just being like most people in the world. Seriously US americans are just too up tight and picky with food.

Remember, that which does not kill you only makes you violently ill.

i LOVE oatmeal! some brown sugar and some almonds and cranberries. Delish!

Ant those bugs are attracted to things like that...they are the "flour bugs" or something to that extent. They get into all sorts of flour/wheat/oat types of things. If you can store your oatmeal (and flour/wheat) packs in the fridge or freezer they will never find them! ;) (Plus it will keep them fresh for longer!)

lol ktulu...so true.

Halt you should doctor it up with some fruits and stuff. (its a good source of fiber and will help prevent fun colon issues later in life!)

75% of the world has some form of insect on the menu so if you eat them you are just being like most people in the world. Seriously US americans are just too up tight and picky with food.
Thanks, but I'd rather not eat grubs, sheep testicles, camel humps, or any other form of so-called "delicacies."
Personally, I don't care if we're one of the pickiest countries, because we're also one of the healthiest countries.

How are we picky? We have a lot of fat people!

Fat is a result of the amount of food that is eaten not the types.

As for healthiest it all depends on what countries you compare the US with. Against Western Europe we dont stack up so well. Sub-Saharan Africa we look a lot better.

Fat is a result of the amount of food that is eaten not the types.

As for healthiest it all depends on what countries you compare the US with. Against Western Europe we dont stack up so well. Sub-Saharan Africa we look a lot better.

I don't see people in western europe eating bugs!

I don't see people in western europe eating bugs!

Are you familar with a fine french dish called escargo? (Ok I know technically snails are not insects but the average american would consider them a bug).

Something tells me I'd rather eat some chocolate coated grasshoppers than snails. :puke:

Conchs excluded.

People eat many things, all around the world it all depends on what you grow up with if you were raised with apple pie like me you would prefer it over pumpkin, just an example. If someone in asia was raised with bugs for breakfast then it would seem completely normal to them but they might think cereal was wierd...................................

Are you familar with a fine french dish called escargo? (Ok I know technically snails are not insects but the average american would consider them a bug).

The french are the weirdos of western europe, when I think of western Europe I think Norway, Denmark, Britian, Germany, ect.

The french are the weirdos of western europe, when I think of western Europe I think Norway, Denmark, Britian, Germany, ect.

Norway and Denmark are in Scandinavia...
(Northern Europe)

Anybody ever have cocowheats? Similar to cream of wheat, only chocolate. Anyways, my grandma made my sister and I some once, and after we had eaten a few bites, I notices some dead worms in it. YUK!

On topic, Ant I feel your pain. I have found the same thing after eating a few cookies my mother made when I was young:(
It made me look at ingredients closely to this day.
I think those bugs will show up in flour, oatmeal, many other grains even if put in a sealed jar. I may be wrong, but I think the eggs are already in grains when you buy them:)
I think people, especially kids and teens have lost touch with where food comes from and what is involved in producing it. I'm 30 and remember a girl in my class in high school asking my science teacher what the red stuff that comes out of meat is!
I don't like eating bugs if I don't have too.
I check any grain, flour, cake mix, cornbread mix, etc for insect larva before mixing and cooking. I have found insect larva or worms many times, kinda nasty!!!

Copied from http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2160.html

If Americans could tolerate more insects (bugs) in what they eat, farmers could significantly reduce the amount of pesticides applied each year. It is better to eat more insects and less pesticide residue. If the U.S. Food and Drug Administration would relax the limit for insects and their parts (double the allowance) in food crops, U.S. farmers could significantly apply less pesticide each year. Fifty years ago, it was common for an apple to have worms inside, bean pods with beetle bites and cabbage with worm eaten leaves. Most Americans don't realize that they are probably already eating a pound or two of insects each year. One cannot see them, since they have been ground up into tiny pieces in such items as strawberry jams, peanut butter, spaghetti sauce, applesauce, frozen chopped broccoli, etc. Actually, these insect parts make some food products more nutritious. An issue of the Food Insects Newsletter reports that 80 percent of the world's population eats insects intentionally and 100 percent eat them unintentionally.

peace,
Zero

I once ate a piece of toast that had these strange black spots on it. I though they were just weird burn patterns because the toaster was old. Well about 3/4 the way through the second piece I look over and see a stream of black ants spilling out of the toaster. At least I cooked them before I ate them. And upon closer inspection I could actually see they were indeed ants not burn marks.

Lol ktulu, that's kindof creepy. I like oatmeal, but not the plain kind. It has to have some brown sugar in it.

Eww ktule! How did you put bread covered in ants in your toaster without realizing it! >_<

Back