What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Missing person" update?

• Thread starter RL7836
  • Start date
Rather than hijack a thread in the Utric forum, I figured it would be more appropriate to post this over here...
as for that thread, all i can say is.................I MISS TAMLIN! :-(
Odd coincidence, I just had a discussion 2 days ago about Tamlin & some of the other experienced growers who have gone missing. Serves as a reminder how real-life events can come along and trump our precious 'hobby'. After Tamlin 'went away', IIRC he came back for a while before disappearing once again. Anyone have any recent updates?

From what, the forum? People come and go from certain sites throughout their life. Sometimes they come back. Sometimes they don't. *shrug*

he had been sick and his computer went down for awhile....got the computer back up and running and i heard he was having luck with a treatment with his skin issue.....than i think his computer died again.....thats basically what i know....

Did we ever find out what happened to pond boy?

Yes, Tamlin is dearly missed.

And Joseph rarely posts these days.

And have you noticed Pyro has been more or less AWOL lately?

Ditto on Tamlin. Thought about him the other day.

I was thinking of doing a post like this. :)

I want to know where Troy Davis is. Fatboy.

And Pondboy.

I've wondered about Pondboy too and hope it just means he grew out of his Terraforum stage. As for Troy, I think I remember him posting some things in the aftermath of the tsunami and then disappearing. His junglegeeks.com site disappeared too.

I've heard that Bugweed now has a very long commute & Lois has his plants (that might even be confirmed around here someplace).

For those who've been around, they might remember Charles Brewer posting on the listserver. He was one of the most frequent contributors. While he's not really 'missing', life's events have changed his priorities and he gave away or lost most of his collection - with the exception of his Cephs (which I believe he still sells).

Anyone know the status of Chuck Lyons? While never a big poster on the forums, he supplied a lot of petios to the CP market ... Have not heard of him responding to anyone in a while ...

:crap: .. :scratch:

Hello Guy,

Chuck lives just a few minuets away from me but he is no longer growing any CPs.

-Jeremiah-

Hello Guy,

Chuck lives just a few minuets away from me but he is no longer growing any CPs.

-Jeremiah-

Talk about missing persons... been awhile from the lad that had 66 varieties of cp's to offer... "for anything not 'my' growlist". :-D

Shhh! Don't scare him away :)
tamlincopy.jpg

Just typed my autobiography and lost the whole durn sheebang. Hands are nonfunctional bilaterally except for the pinkys, so forgive brevity and typos please. If you want to chat, call me at 315 342 4139 leave me a call back and optimal time to call and I willall you.

Things have not been well I regret to say. The atopic condition is insufficient to explain the motor loss problems, difficulty in cognition and short term memory, sleep disturbance, rheumatic joints, hyperthesia and lots of itching. Last October I lost the ability to fret the guitar and began to advocate for my own healing in a state of near mental collapse from not sleeping for a month except for short naps. Looking on the internet I became convinced I had RSD (now called RSDSA I believe). I'm a fairly good diagnostician and I sure seemed to have most of the symptoms: excema, itch, skin atrophy, rheumatic joints, sleep disturbance, hyperthesia, impaired short term memory, urinary urgence, thickened toenails, skin color and temp. changes...and on and on.

Waited over a month for a referral to a neurologist as my MD was an internist thanks to the blind incompetence of the office staff who never bothered to call it in to that office. I was treated with indifference although I explained the urgence...."these things take time, we'll call you". Meanwhile I can't sleep and lie awake night after night expecting heart failure at any moment. I finally called the neurologists office myself to learn no call had ever been received concerning yours truly. Then had a major episode and off again to the ER and was admitted. Got tested for everything except nerve conduction and all checked well.

Problem with RSD is any symptom can be ascribed to other medical problems and there is no definitive test for the disease. My heart was good, lungs fine, blood all within normal limits. Met with a psychiatrist who finally granted to medication I asked my Dr. for last October when I sought the referral to a neurologist. His office refused me the medication since it was addictive.

My MD rejects RSD, and I have had the nerves in my hands and arms exaimed by a doofus neurologist who never even heard of RSD how reassuring, but as per agreeement with Valerie who works now as a psychiatric RN agreed to treat my condition as a matter of anxiety.

Funny how when you finally DO get what you waited close to 2 months for the anxiety goes away! I am now sleeping and greatly improved in spirit although the condition persists. I now believe, I want to believe that I don't have RSD which has been described as the most painful disease known to man leading to paralysis, blindness, Alzheimer's, kidney failure and heart failure. Note as well Stage 2 is reversible and Stage 3 is not.

Since abandoning all and every food other than pure veggies, fruit, lean meat, fish....(if it's got a list of ingredients I won't eat it, or if I didn't prepare it myself). I believe the condition I have whatever it is is improving. The new ointment is helping and the worst fears and symptoms seem to be over. It was all a boogie man in my mind. Yup.

The doofus neurologist seemed to think my hand problems due to "parts wear out" end of story. My MD thinks I am prepsychotic since I had words in the waiting room with his staff. Short words strung together in rapid order, with feeling!

Now it's time for yet another MD. Meanwhile I have discontinued all analgesics oral and topical and use just the new ointment. Home life has improved and again I owe Valerie for sticking with me through the most difficult time I have ever experienced. Imagine working all day with nut cases and then to come home to a desperate hubby!

I lost all my plants save one terrarium with a handful of easy species in 2005. I miss my plants, my old life where I was well and able to do the work. This has made visiting this forum somewhat painful although you are all in my mind and heart and I haven't forgotten.

I hope you have the best of Holiday's this year and resolve to drop by more often, but I can only type with the pinkies and it's not easy. I have unlimited phone time and would love to hear from any and all.

Love you all,

Tamlin

good to hear from you old friend....will give yah a ring this weekend.....

Hey bud, glad you were able to take my invite and stop by to say hi. I realize how difficult it probably is to stop by here without your plants- but be it with or without plants you're still a great friend to the majority of us here and we love it when you stop in! Glad to hear you finally have something that seems to be working for you and hopefully it continues to move in that direction! WHEN the day comes that you are ready to grow some plants- You know they'll come in by the truckload ;)

Talk soon!
Andrew

Wow! Just hearing from you, Tamlin, has made my day. I am horrified to hear the suffering you've been through, however, and am glad to hear the worst may be over. I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't think of you, especially when I'm down in my plant room looking at the vining N. hamata you sent me years ago. You taught me how to think about these plants, about sharing them, and about the growing community, and those are lessons that will stay with me forever. I only hope that you improve enough to return and share your infinite wisdom with all the new growers here - your views and philosophy are applicable to all facets of life, not just growing these crazy plants. It's really, really great to hear from you. And of course, if you're able to grow more plants again, literally anything in my collection is yours for the asking.

Capslock

Dear Tamlin,

Thank you for thinking of us and taking the effort to update us of the predicament you were in. We all missed you loads. Please continue to keep your spirits up and we will remember you in our prayers.

Lots of Love,
Cindy

Tamlin,

Howdja know we were asking aboutcha?

Back